joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from western mass news.  Ugh think there will be surprised people tomorrow.  4 to 6 is way to low

Snow amounts will max out in the Berkshires, where 12-18" is expected. The western slopes will see a bit less, but still near a foot and the highest amounts will be on the eastern slopes. Amounts of 6-12" are expected through central and eastern Franklin County, much of Hampshire and western and eastern Hampden counties. The river valley may get "shadowed" where the snow gets blocked by the hills and will only end up around 4-6"-which includes the greater Springfield area.

3 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

from western mass news.  Ugh think there will be surprised people tomorrow.  4 to 6 is way to low

Snow amounts will max out in the Berkshires, where 12-18" is expected. The western slopes will see a bit less, but still near a foot and the highest amounts will be on the eastern slopes. Amounts of 6-12" are expected through central and eastern Franklin County, much of Hampshire and western and eastern Hampden counties. The river valley may get "shadowed" where the snow gets blocked by the hills and will only end up around 4-6"-which includes the greater Springfield area.

Codfish just left the board.

4 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

I'm thinking the same, with snow struggling to accumulate during the day.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Eesh... scary.  Must have been a mild heart attack or...heh, face it - we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. I was asking about the 'warnings' because I read a MAYO thing on that, citing that most cases there was a symptom or two in the days or even weeks prior, but was typically ignored... I just wonder if they may be so subtle it was easy to do so or something. But, that sucks if you just stand up and then that's it... wtf

I'm a little nervous about that sort of thing.  Why?  Because I've seen loved ones close to me have triple b-passes and stints and stuff.   My step father had an attack while..duh duh duhnnn shoveling snow back in 1999 ... he's alive and well now thanks as you say, to modern medicine.  But prior generational he'd a been a gonner.  

My biological father just had a full cardio work up ..nuclear stress test even... at 75 years of age and was cleared, despite being on blood pressure meds for five decades.  Said he had the cardiac health and vascular venting of a much younger man. The rest of him? Yeah, piece of schit... so he complains, including his attitude, but that's all a different thing :)    However, his father (my g-dad) died abruptly at 84 from a massive event.  So although it's not altogether hugely prevalent in my family... it's not absent either. And, my family is after all American, and we are all unwitting, you, me, the users of this forum, and everyone they know... victims of the "Industrial Food Complex" ... which hasn't been altogether honest about what processing of simple carbs and sugars does to both BP and heart health.  

I don't drink or smoke.  I sleep, work out, and eat well, and religiously work out three to four times a week, rigorously.  I am not over weight.  My BP probably needs to be checked out seeing as my dad had it, and he never drank either.  They don't call it the 'silent killer' for nothing.  My hands get cold at my desk and I get posterior hypotension when I stand up too quickly...which is consistent with normal BP... but, instead of getting checked out I hate doctors and hospitals and suffer white-coat syndrome ... 

God...sometimes i think it's better if we were just born dolphins to dogs... they don't care because ignorance is bliss.  

It wasn’t a grab your chest, Red Fox kind of deal.  It was mildly painful though.  There may have been signs but I was ignorant of them.  One sign I’ve heard of and saw played out on the Sopranos is the smell of burnt hair.  Now I’ve had that smell taking a shower a couple of times recently, but only attributed it to something in the water perhaps.  But it could’ve been a sign, not sure.  I have NOT been living the last year with impending doom in the back of my mind though.  Nothing was obviously amiss.

Now I figure my mother is where I genetically earned my heart problems.  She’s been gone for 6 years and it was heart failure, however she had other contributing problems.  Dad is 92, still very much upright.  But I’ve been a cigarette smoker since my teens and only quit 4 or 5 years ago.  Don’t know the degree to which that was a contributing factor, but I’m sure very high.  Not much of a drinker, a few beers a month maybe.  

I don't know, I suppose the best thing is to just resign yourself to making an appointment and get a full blown physical, hate it or not.  Just do it.  You obviously think about it, probably more than once a day.  Then maybe you won’t be so ignorant!  :P

1 minute ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I'm thinking the same, with snow struggling to accumulate during the day.

I honestly doubt it will matter much when the goods come in. Looks like a pretty hellacious thump in the afternoon. Thundersnow, 1-3" hour rates. I think it will be fun. 

I'm going cautious here due to possible low ratios, valley shadow, marginal temps, lack of elevation etc.  

8-12" here to Brattleboro.  6-10" Springfield to Northampton.  Maybe I'm wrong and we get the 14-16" BOX is calling for but still caution flags flying.  I could see N Quabbin area near Dave doubling some of the Valley amounts but we'll see. 

9 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
39 minutes ago, Semper911 said:
Nice to see a rescue swimmer on our board. They were always the best of the best when I was in. Thanks for your service, Coastie.

Your words are kind, thank you brother (or sister). Back at you fellow Coastie.

Thanks to both of you, that’s awesome!

Very stressed about Boston metro forecast, and I don't envy pro Mets tonight. Want to see an east tick on the 0z NAM.

We're all expecting the gravitational pull of the Euro, but we want to see that soon.

We could use some real-time ROAB H5 comparisons tonight and I'll take a swing if I have time.

To ensure anything more than 1-3" like NAM / rain like GFS for Boston, I think we want to see:

- anything that leads to later capture further east: trough and shortwave energy shooting out further east: if you trend 12z 3/5 - 0z 3/6 - 12z 3/6 Euro runs, the trend has been to dig the northern stream trough less southwest by 12z Wed, so ultimately the low gets captured closer to the NJ coast... we want to reverse that trend towards a more southwest digging trough by 12z Wed so that the trough swings and overshoots further east, and the system gets captured and tugs further east

- less of a ridge over the Atlantic? Euro in past 24 hrs has trended towards greater ridge, and may be inhibiting further eastward movement of system

- any evidence of greater blocking

Feel free to revise/add anything to the list.

1 hour ago, USCG RS said:
1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:
Eesh... scary.  Must have been a mild heart attack or...heh, face it - we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. I was asking about the 'warnings' because I read a MAYO thing on that, citing that most cases there was a symptom or two in the days or even weeks prior, but was typically ignored... I just wonder if they may be so subtle it was easy to do so or something. But, that sucks if you just stand up and then that's it... wtf
I'm a little nervous about that sort of thing.  Why?  Because I've seen loved ones close to me have triple b-passes and stints and stuff.   My step father had an attack while..duh duh duhnnn shoveling snow back in 1999 ... he's alive and well now thanks as you say, to modern medicine.  But prior generational he'd a been a gonner.  
My biological father just had a full cardio work up ..nuclear stress test even... at 75 years of age and was cleared, despite being on blood pressure meds for five decades.  Said he had the cardiac health and vascular venting of a much younger man. The rest of him? Yeah, piece of schit... so he complains, including his attitude, but that's all a different thing emoji4.png    However, his father (my g-dad) died abruptly at 84 from a massive event.  So although it's not altogether hugely prevalent in my family... it's not absent either. And, my family is after all American, and we are all unwitting, you, me, the users of this forum, and everyone they know... victims of the "Industrial Food Complex" ... which hasn't been altogether honest about what processing of simple carbs and sugars does to both BP and heart health.  
I don't drink or smoke.  I sleep, work out, and eat well, and religiously work out three to four times a week, rigorously.  I am not over weight.  My BP probably needs to be checked out seeing as my dad had it, and he never drank either.  They don't call it the 'silent killer' for nothing.  My hands get cold at my desk and I get posterior hypotension when I stand up too quickly...which is consistent with normal BP... but, instead of getting checked out I hate doctors and hospitals and suffer white-coat syndrome ... 
God...sometimes i think it's better if we were just born dolphins to dogs... they don't care because ignorance is bliss.  

You would be surprised how many people call ems and by the time I show up, they have been having an MI (heart attack) for several days. I hook up the EKG and see that they already have parts of the heart that are no longer functional.

Must stand for "Mayo-cardio Infarction"  ..

Hey I got your IM re the teleconnectors - just haven't had a chance to respond. I will though..

1 minute ago, Semper911 said:

Are most of you blowing off the NWS 3pm shift of the rain/snow line towards the west? Some recent posts make it seem so. Is there any reasonable chance the line stays where it was? (They are the effing NWS, after all.)

NWS was spot on Friday poo pooing the event when most called BS. Who had the last laugh?  Go conservative and hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Why does the amount of moisture in the air have to change just due to the sun setting? It’s not like you’re evaporationally cooling.

Interesting.  Doesn't radiational cooling cause the dew to rise too?  I'm just used to like 39/20, the sun goes down, and then all the sudden its 30/25.

5 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

NWS was spot on Friday poo pooing the event when most called BS. Who had the last laugh?  Go conservative and hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

Well, in my area they did ramp up amounts within 12-24 hours of the event, only to drop them during.

I am thinking this time they will be ok.   Agreed about going conservative

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It seems like more and more someone near 128 is gonna have huge paste.  Even if they dryslot, you could have 8-10" of man paste.  

Love that look when there's like 8" of snow sticking to the east side of tree trunks all the way up and down the tree.

3 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Steve just quit the board.

Lol all I know is I am down to 27 and dropping,  miles and miles different setup. Much more traditional. 

Why is Pickles obsessed with Boston SE Mass? He's in Nashua I would be super stoked. I mean I run a facility in SECT so I have a vested interest in the Snow rain line. He's holed up in a foot plus

3 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Yeah they nailed Friday when all the models said we'd have snow. I don't know why I even look at the models if they are only a fraction of the story. Maybe I just start leaving it up to the experts, and save on stress. What falls, falls.

Archived