Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

George BM

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I used to be the dark cloud pessimist in here. What happened. I'm still the skeptic. I never feel safe until I can see the storm on radar barreling down on us. No amount of digital snow ever makes me feel it's a sure thing.  I remember a fail in 2007 where every model had a 3-6" snow about 24 hours out and it just evaporated on the next run. No way would I ever take snow for granted 72 or 48 hours out. But when we're chasing long range possibilities I'm not going to assume everything will fail before it's even on the table. I know most will but why depress yourself by focusing on that. And I know what can go wrong this weekend and I've given some skeptic remarks but why say it over and over. Some are just on this "it's never gonna snow" thing. 

I think some are emotionally beat. And others want to look smart and be able to say "I told ya so" when it falls apart. But my god I used to be the deb in here and now I feel like I'm one of the most optimistic posters but I haven't changed at all. 

Part herd mentality and part unrealistic expectations.

A crappy snow pattern could yield a nice 1-3/2-4 which would double my winter total. I’m in. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tell people they're wrong to their face all the time and as far as I know they've not felt harassed by it. Maybe I'm just oblivious.

Its not everyone, apologies if I presented it that way. I have seen the shift tho from the days where you could rip someone and they would have some introspect and 'fix' things vs today. I know its partly just the times we live in irt technology but too much lack of face-to-face interaction (not us on this wx board obviously lol we dont have much choice until we do facetime conferences) but more emailing and memos then when people are confronted it is viewed as an attack. Maybe its just me, but I cant be the only one who views things this way. Im a chef and in the 'old days' we (I say we because it is how most of us did things 25 years ago) would pull someone aside in a walk-in cooler and let them have it if they screwed up a meal. Criticize privately praise publicly type thing.....and it would resolve itself. Try that nowadays and you are mean, expect too much, harassing, too hard on people, etc. It worked back then. Nowaday it seems there is very little self-accountability. You are forced to be ever-praising. I mean, you dont need to be a prick obviously there are effective ways to get a message across, but man.

42 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:
I used to be the dark cloud pessimist in here. What happened. I'm still the skeptic. I never feel safe until I can see the storm on radar barreling down on us. No amount of digital snow ever makes me feel it's a sure thing.  I remember a fail in 2007 where every model had a 3-6" snow about 24 hours out and it just evaporated on the next run. No way would I ever take snow for granted 72 or 48 hours out. But when we're chasing long range possibilities I'm not going to assume everything will fail before it's even on the table. I know most will but why depress yourself by focusing on that. And I know what can go wrong this weekend and I've given some skeptic remarks but why say it over and over. Some are just on this "it's never gonna snow" thing. 
I think some are emotionally beat. And others want to look smart and be able to say "I told ya so" when it falls apart. But my god I used to be the deb in here and now I feel like I'm one of the most optimistic posters but I haven't changed at all. 

Being a realist and telling it the way the data is presented is the way to go imo. This is a weather forum for discussion and not a morality medium where we cater to peoples' emotions. That is the issue I have with society as a whole these days.....there is too much sensitivity then people have to baby one another and give belly rubs and participation trophies. Im not singling out any particular generation either. Im also not saying we need to run around being negative all the time either......tell it like it is and dont be afraid to give tough love. It is not sad.....it is pathetic that we cant give constructive feedback in a face-to-face setting anymore without the person receiving the feedback feeling harassed, micro-managed, singled out, verbally abused, etc. Anyway, went off the topic a little.....its ok to be a pessimist if you factually just dont see things panning out. I learned how to finally do that and try not to cater to the masses with gut calls and how things 'might work out in our favor' sorta way. There is also a fine line between presenting the facts though sometimes not what people want to hear and trolling.

We're talking about different things. I don't pander. When I think something doesn't look good I say so. I was always off on the January 4t storm and said so. But I said so maybe once a model cycle and then objectively analyzed each run without harping on "it's not gonna snow". I didn't need to repeat it 15 times a day. Everyone knew what I thought but without me throwing it in the face of those that wanted to hold out hope. 

But lately there are some that are just over the top. Every run if it's bad they repeat how bad or exaggerate how bad. Every good run they either disappear or say "yea right that won't happen"  if it looks good they blast it and if it looks bad they say how right it is. But they do it over and over.  just like some are blinded by their optimism they are blinded by their pessimism. Things aren't as good or bad as both sides are making it. The guidance is very iffy right now. But some are making snow sound like a lock and others are making it seem like it's a long shot and the guidance doesn't support either of those positions right now. 

19 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

OH yeah I've worked at restaurants before. I can definitely see THAT atmosphere being a big change from even when I was a kid being a waiter.

I mean that dude from Hell's Kitchen would never be able to do that consistently unless he was AMAZING or owned his own place.

I've never been a prick, but I wouldnt hesitate (as an example) to pull someone aside and be like "Hey, that order you sent out was burnt. You have a job to do and that is send out quality food. We're human and make mistakes but it shouldnt have gone out. Fix it". I feel like we cant even do that these days without  HR or the boss coming to me later saying "You think maybe you were a little too hard on so and so?". No, I dont. They have one job and they didnt do it. Wtf?

Anywho :-D

8 hours ago, Cobalt said:

I've gotta say, Cae is probably one of the most underrated posters on this board. Always posts with good intentions, and his posts always add value. 

Keep it up Cae!

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Not underrated by me. He always throws some datapoints no one else posted into the mix. Some of its more useful to a forecast then others but it's all good stuff and interesting. I like his posts. 

2 hours ago, mappy said:

Cae is one of the good ones. 

Thanks guys.  I appreciate it. 

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

it really is strange how most of our snowstorms (or whatever this ends up being) tends to fall on the weekend.

I sent my boss and fellow GISers the Euro map yesterday, my boss replied "can we make this happen monday instead?" 

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Its not everyone, apologies if I presented it that way. I have seen the shift tho from the days where you could rip someone and they would have some introspect and 'fix' things vs today. I know its partly just the times we live in irt technology but too much lack of face-to-face interaction (not us on this wx board obviously lol we dont have much choice until we do facetime conferences) but more emailing and memos then when people are confronted it is viewed as an attack. Maybe its just me, but I cant be the only one who views things this way. Im a chef and in the 'old days' we (I say we because it is how most of us did things 25 years ago) would pull someone aside in a walk-in cooler and let them have it if they screwed up a meal. Criticize privately praise publicly type thing.....and it would resolve itself. Try that nowadays and you are mean, expect too much, harassing, too hard on people, etc. It worked back then. Nowaday it seems there is very little self-accountability. You are forced to be ever-praising. I mean, you dont need to be a prick obviously there are effective ways to get a message across, but man.

Yo, this is some heavy stuff you are throwing at us bro. 

By the way, agree with a lot of what you said. I would add to it except for the fact I am in the middle of trying to will snow to happen for our region. Priorities after all. :) 

54 minutes ago, mappy said:

I sent my boss and fellow GISers the Euro map yesterday, my boss replied "can we make this happen monday instead?" 

ya know!  i'm on a team that supports the affordable care act (the IT part), so normally i would be off monday, but my company told us we're working.  i don't even understand it...govie is closed...why are we working lol.  the plus side to IT is that i can work remote, but the downside is that i don't really get a snow day unless i call out the day of, so with that said i'm almost glad it's on a saturday.

8 minutes ago, 87storms said:

ya know!  i'm on a team that supports the affordable care act (the IT part), so normally i would be off monday, but my company told us we're working.  i don't even understand it...govie is closed...why are we working lol.  the plus side to IT is that i can work remote, but the downside is that i don't really get a snow day unless i call out the day of, so with that said i'm almost glad it's on a saturday.

if it makes you feel better, i always work on those holidays. presidents day. mlk. columbus. 

but, it doesn't make sense that you would work, given your field and focus. 

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

if it makes you feel better, i always work on those holidays. presidents day. mlk. columbus. 

but, it doesn't make sense that you would work, given your field and focus. 

yea, it's because our company got acquired by a larger one that just doesn't have the same holiday structure as before and has other private contracts.  ah well.  ops-wise, we're 7 days a week on this one, but support wise on holidays is usually light.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived