Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

George BM

7 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

I honestly believe more people are just recognizing a problem that has always existed when the pattern sucks.  I support the changes being made.

I have no idea what you are talking about. What problem? That people are disappointed when they don't get snow? And what changes do you support? That the model thread is getting trashed?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

I mean unnecessary complaints that need moderating.

Considering that Mappy and H2O have left in disgust and are taking a break from this foolishness there is very little moderation going on. What we need to see change, instead of moderation, is to have some in here put on their big boy and big girl pants and start acting like adults. This running around, screaming, crying and whining is more suited for a nursery school then an adult forum.

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Considering that Mappy and H2O have left in disgust and are taking a break from this foolishness there is very little moderation going on. What we need to see change, instead of moderation, is to have some in here put on their big boy and big girl pants and start acting like adults. This running around, screaming, crying and whining is more suited for a nursery school then an adult forum.

There's always a Mod lurking.

12 minutes ago, mattie g said:

For my beer-geek brethren from the other side of the Potomac:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-brewery-bill-20180212-story.html

Someone (Guinness) is lining someone else’s (state representatives’) pockets.

Maybe I am reading it wrong but it sounds as if Guinness is opposed to bill that would limit brewery's outputs. So I am not sure why you would think they are lining reps pockets to get bill 1052 through. 

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. What problem? That people are disappointed when they don't get snow? And what changes do you support? That the model thread is getting trashed?

I posted in the discussion thread a bit ago and i am sure its going to be taken the wrong way and start another war but I seriously am worried about some people that seem to really set their mood based on snow.  I LOVE snow...and when we have a threat and it falls apart it gets to me...and this year isn't making me thrilled...but I am not walking around being a total arse because of it or miserable all the time.  I truly mean it that if some people NEED snow as much as they act like on here they really should consider moving somewhere that gets more snow.  I even might do that again someday but for now I have made peace with what my climo here is, and that I generally will be happy with what I get about 50" of the time...content or can accept it another 30% and that 2 times a decade or so i will just have to suffer...but I suffer in silence and just turn my attention to other things and say better luck next year...not have a total nuclear meltdown.  But living somewhere that gets less then 15" of snow about 6 or 7 times a decade and having a total meltdown every time seems unhealthy.  If I needed 50" of snow to be happy I wouln't live here I would move to Colorado or New Hamphire and I might do that anyways someday but if I am going to live here I better realize what climo is and adjust my expectations accordingly.  Some people in here seem out of touch with their snow climo reality.  I probably would be pretty unhappy living in the southern 2/3 of this region so I choose to suffer through a VERY LONG commute every day so I can get an extra 15-20" of snow a year.  For me that means I get the snow I need to be happy 70% of the time instead of 20% of the time and I can accept that.  But if I decided to stay in VA for instance... I wouldn't have just gone crazy and been miserable all the time and taken my frustration out all the time on here.  I did that when I was 16 and then I grew up and made an adult decision about my life and what I need to be happy.  I am worried some seem to be in denial about it though...and are simply expecting or wanting something they just aren't going to get where they live and its leading them to be frustrated and miserable way too often.  Thats sad.  

Obviously this is location specific...but there are other people that live in the northern tier counties of Maryland or the NW regions of VA and WV in our region that have similar climo...and if you don't move up here its not that far away!!!! but this is why I don't give up until its OVER....

This year I have about 15" so far.  My average is about 42".  So way below climo... but last year I had 9" going into March and had 14" after...and that is NOT rare...these are similar years where they had crap snow going into March and pulled a late save...from local coop data in my area

Snowfall before March 1 and after March 1 and I included La Nina Years after 1950...hmm notice something

1896: 10/19

1900: 16/22

1902: 11/19

1906: 13/16

1917: 18/18

1924: 15/41

1928: 13.5/19

1931: 11/11

1932: 5/14

1937: 14/10.2

1942: 9.5/33

1944: 13/15.5

1956: 17/13 # La Nina Year

1959: 9/11

1965: 17/17 # La Nina Year

1976: 8/14 # La Nina Year

1984: 12/11 # La Nina Year

1999: 7.7/18 #La Nina Year

2009: 11/7 # La Nina Year

2017: 9/14 # La Nina Year

Given that why on earth would I, or anyone else in the northern 1/2 of our region, give up going into March?  The odds of pulling off at least one snowfall in March seems pretty decent given those statistics.  

ETA:  a LOT of those snowfalls impacted a pretty significant portion of our regions...not just my area btw.  1956, 1965, 1976, 1984, 1999, and 2009 the snow impacted the majority or at least the northwest 1/2 of our region so it wasn't only a "me" thing.  

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

For my beer-geek brethren from the other side of the Potomac:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-brewery-bill-20180212-story.html

Someone (Guinness) is lining someone else’s (state representatives’) pockets.

Yeah, this has been a public issue ever since Guinness entered the picture. Here's a link to an editorial regarding the law last spring (HB 1293) that gave Guinness the approval they needed.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-beer-bill-20170402-story.html

There were some "compromises" made to that bill that got it passed, but it wasn't done right.

Unfortunately, none of this is new. Maryland's alcohol and brewery laws are ridiculously aligned with those with deep pockets as anyone in Montgomery county can attest.

27 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Give me the Stop sign sticking S+++ parachute flakes every time over high ratio..imho. I don't care if it melts the next day. 

All the way. A big reason why 1/26/11 and even 2/5/10 (even though it wasn't all paste bomb) were great storms. The aftermath of paste bombs can be pretty awesome. I didn't even lose power during the Blizzard of '16, but we lost power for 4 days for both of the 2 storms (and then we lost power for another 3 days from the 2nd blizzard in 2010)

1 hour ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

This is banter, so I'm going to make it banter.  The day I get hired full time, my participation here will become near-nonexistent.  Why? I just don't feel like this is the right crowd for me.  I need to make changes.

Right crowd for you...it's a weather forum.  Your "right" crowd are the peeps you see face to face when you want to unwind.  This is nothing but avatars and posturing...typically.

25 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

1. It's way too early to declare winter over and assume the snow total is done. 

2. If it is over then yes this is one of the worst 2 year stretches ever. But we just came off one of the best 3 years ever. So at the end the last 5 years balances out. Climo is a bunch of anomalies. You can't only look micro. 

3. Lets say D.C. gets a slushy 1.5" next weekend then a mix slopfest 2" in march. Then the last 2 years becomes just a regular ho hum bad two year stretch and not anything historic. But you won't feel any better about it. Be honest. I can tell. When DC gets two 7" winters in a row from a bunch of 1-2" snows you feel just as crappy. And that's just a typical 2 year bad run that happens all the time.

4. I almost feel like some are rooting against snow now so they can justify their complaints and feelings because they know a sloppy 3-4" won't make them feel any better about this winter but it will make this just a regular bad winter and then they can't scream "see it was so awful, the snow gods do hate me and I have every right to feel put upon."  

5.  Be honest you know even if we had 10" this year you would be unhappy. You have even complained in years we got 20". You need way more snow then we get 80% of the time here to be happy. 

@psuhoffman

Figured I'd reply in banter.

No its not a done deal, but I think odds are very much against us getting anything else. But you know more, so maybe the odds are higher than I think.

But I feel like Its just one of those years that produces nothing.

If we got what you described the rest of the year, yes, I'd still be disappointed, but I would honestly be less disappointed than I am now. Another 2 inches even would be good enough for a walk in the snow, maybe a telework day. Would it be disappointing? Sure. But it would stick in my mind as not being as bad as how lousy its been.

Have I complained over 20 inch years? I don't seem to recall that at all. If you mean the year we got the blizzard, I honestly don't like record breaking storms here. I feel like I am going to pay for it down the line (I was shockingly correct) the Blizzard dry slotted us, and it was good, very good, but it was a torch the rest of the year if I recall. There have been years where we've had only 10 inch totals with smaller storms where I've been much happier than that year. Really not trying to root for a historic winter to prove the anti snow lovers wrong. I guess it just drives me crazyl when people saying "this is normal" to a historically bad period. Thats really it.

I can be satisfied with mid atlantic snowfall, WHEN ITS NORMAL. But I am never happy. I'd love the 2 foot storm, and then a week later another 2 feet. Then another 2 feet after that. That is what would make me happy. But there is a drawback to that, I am sure you know. In places that get those storms, you are expected to function like its nothing. Waking up to 2 feet of snow and expecting to make your 6am work start time............that would get old, really quick.

I plan to move to an area that gets more snow. I can't wait!!!

15 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

They don't exist.

I hope you dont let this place affect you man.  Weather changes our mood enough....no matter what the "ive matured" crowd says.  If you are on this forum then you get pissed when the rug is pulled out 96 hours before a modeled cold smoke.

2 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

I hope you dont let this place affect you man.  Weather changes our mood enough....no matter what the "ive matured" crowd says.  If you are on this forum then you get pissed when the rug is pulled out 96 hours before a modeled cold smoke.

I won't let myself affect this place.

I like this forum as another tool to discuss weather or even bourbon lol.  I remember reading an article about social media and which platform will win out and one of the comments was that they can almost all exist and that’s kind of held true.  I use twitter and the old fashioned blogs for the most part, and Instagram for the entertainment factor. There’s no reason to run from one or another. They all have a niche.

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I enjoy all types of snow, from cold champagne powder fluff to heavy wet paste bombs. High ratio, low ratio, its all good.

Me too. I keep it as simple as it gets. I spend way too much time looking at weather models but in the end I just like snowfall or interesting weather in general. I don't care how it snows or how long it sticks on the ground. Paste, powder, parachutes, sand, missiles....ijdgaf. It's fun tracking storms and it's fun watching snow fall. If it sticks around for a week or 2 after then that's just bonus. 

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Me too. I keep it as simple as it gets. I spend way too much time looking at weather models but in the end I just like snowfall or interesting weather in general. I don't care how it snows or how long it sticks on the ground. Paste, powder, parachutes, sand, missiles....ijdgaf. It's fun tracking storms and it's fun watching snow fall. If it sticks around for a week or 2 after then that's just bonus. 

it's a healthy hobby for those who can stay level headed.  it's not much different than playing a lot of online chess or any game for that matter.  it keeps the brain active and helps you learn patience in the process.

6 minutes ago, 87storms said:

it's a healthy hobby for those who can stay level headed.  it's not much different than playing a lot of online chess or any game for that matter.  it keeps the brain active and helps you learn patience in the process.

Exactly. Mental exercise is fun. Same reason I really enjoy working on cars. It's complicated and tedious but I really do enjoy it for whatever reason. 

Allowing things you have no control over to have excessive control on your emotions is illogical. At least to me it is. It's fun when it snows. And when it doesn't I just look elsewhere for pleasure. Like working on cars or fishing or whatever.  Hobbies are supposed to have a positive influence on a person's life. That's why they exist in the first place. 

12 hours ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

This is banter, so I'm going to make it banter.  The day I get hired full time, my participation here will become near-nonexistent.  Why? I just don't feel like this is the right crowd for me.  I need to make changes.

This is at least the second time you’ve stated this in the last six months or so, and you’ve already “left” this forum once before.

I’m no expert, but based on your post history you are obviously dealing with your own issues. I highly suggest you address them, and do whatever you need to do to achieve that end; I’m not sure hanging out on a weather forum is going to help you with that.

Good luck to you. Seriously...good luck.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived