joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL for the last month or so I've been thinking about this storm where I got stuck at my girlfriend's house in February that wasn't supposed to be that big (but I suspected more due to my own research) and ended up being crazy big.  And I wondered why no one here ever mentioned it.

Turns out you guys just call it PDII.

It just kept snowing and snowing.

3 hours ago, mattie g said:

This is at least the second time you’ve stated this in the last six months or so, and you’ve already “left” this forum once before.

I’m no expert, but based on your post history you are obviously dealing with your own issues. I highly suggest you address them, and do whatever you need to do to achieve that end; I’m not sure hanging out on a weather forum is going to help you with that.

Good luck to you. Seriously...good luck.

I appreciate that and I am addressing them.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

I dream about snowstorms almost every other night. Dream about checking the forum too. Kinda sad. 

Not really. This hobby can get the better of us, and you cannot believe how happy I felt in that dream before the storm, and It felt like somebody punched me in the gut when I saw the radar in my dream and saw a heavy band of snow pivoting just 15 miles NW of me while I saw nothing outside my window. I guess it's just preparing me for what I should expect. Either way, dreaming about interests are normal. When I was a kid I'd have constant dreams about roller coasters or being in space and such.

2 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

I don't believe I've ever dreamt about a snowstorm.

I've dreamt about posting on forums before tho.

And playing video games.

You're not missing out. I've woken up multiple times in the morning looking for my yardstick, only to see bare ground outside my window, and realize it was a dream. Felt half as bad as a storm bust. Little did I know that dream from 2015 would come true 1 month later :lol:

10 hours ago, Interstate said:

But it is big brother that created the weather models correct.  They created an inferior product when it comes to the long range... 5+ days plus (50% of the time 3+ days).  If you owned any product that was wrong 90% of the time, would you keep it out to the public?  I would like to know... what is the accuracy of the models 5+days.  I bet it cannot be that high.

How many times this year alone has the ensembles flip within just one run... What happened to the great periods in December and February that ensembles were advertising... just to flip in a couple of runs. 

Others have already chimed in on this, but fwiw here's my 2 cents.

1)  If you'd like to know what the accuracy of models 5+ days, you can find lots of verification scores here.  There are other verification sites, but that's a good one.  I've found that better understanding the verification scores across models and over time helps me interpret model output.

2)  Regarding the ensemble flips, I think it's important to understand expectations.  When many posters here say a period 5+ days out looks promising, they're usually comparing it to a typical winter day, in which we get zero snow.  It means we have some chance instead of none.  But yeah, the chance doesn't always work out in our favor.

3)  It might seem like the ensembles are shifting around a lot because we talk about the GEFS a lot here, and they do jump around more than other ensembles.  It's a well-known problem, and people are working on fixing it.  If you keep that in mind though, it will help you set expectations. 

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

The GFS run is troubling regardless of the other guidance.  at least to me.  its Tuesday I know.  but this year its seems to lock on scenarios like a pit bull.  and the other guidance gives in like a poodle

Then I guess the GFS is the winner... move on to spring then

someone mentioned brewing their own beer...

my buddy is getting into it.  he brewed a chinook ipa the first time (with what seemed like a 85% alcohol content lol) and is now working on lemon drop hops.  i've never been much of a beer drinker aside from 1 or 2 here and there, but it seems like an interesting little hobby.

and i've definitely dreamt of weather before...snowstorms, tornados, etc.  tornado dreams are a mix of cool and disturbing.  i've also had weird instances where i wake up when it's storming and then hear the thunder lol.  i have no idea what that's all about unless it's some kind of a weird dream/timing thing.

5 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

That's fast for the eps to be out!

Yeah, its pretty nice. The EURO being slow to load the past couple days plus realizing that weathermodels.com has pretty much everything and more then WxBell for half the price kinda sold me. The navigation is really rough on mobile though. Kinda hard on PC too but I'll get used to it. 

56 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

This setup almost reminds me of last winter when March just missed something big.

IMG_4125.GIF.724c96516564d057aab5e2ffff7c51bf.GIF

it was close. This is a few days before the sleet storm. Remember originally there was a west to east threat there under the blocking. But look at the 50/50. Way too suppressive. Then the blocking broke down and the sleet storm was about 12 hours too slow as the confluence relaxed. Also there was height falls pretty far west that in the end screwed our mid levels.  There were lots of ways for one of those threats to work but we had no luck. But enough chances like that and you score eventually. The great winters are when that kind of setup repeats several times making it likely that at least one or two big storms hit.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived