• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM
BullCityWx

1/16-1/17 Event OBS

About 4” in Boone and still snowing with very high ratio snow, almost looks fake. Sure was an over performer here given many of the models have shown trace to inch amounts for Mtn’s and foothills.

I posted several days ago to keep an eye out for a low to form in NW S.C. that could lead to an over performer in WNC. Love these over performers, 3rd one so far this season for this area.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Poimen said:

So I'm assuming that the passage of the upper low brings enough lift to wring out the available low level moisture, because all the soundings were indicating pronounced drying aloft. What else can be responsible for this amount of snow that is both poorly modeled and poorly represented by radar?

I would assume it is because it is closed off now.  I dont think the past models were showing this closing off.  At best it went neutral as it passed through. 

I dont know alot, but I know from watching these over the years that when they close off, they pull down crazy cold air and create their own weather and do what they want and models almost never get it right.  

I think the snow is starting to get a bit drier as of 3pm. Started off with large flakes prior to lunch and they have changed over to those smaller floaters. Still moderate snow here in Leesville. Had 3 inches an hour ago. Maybe nearing 4, but I need to verify.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

People getting baked on the highway.

I went through there twice yesterday.  I didn't see anything.  :) 

Almost 6" at the house. Never any heavy snow but an extremely steady moderate snow rate combined with cold ground got the job done.

large.jpg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

Measured 6" here in south Durham, though I can get some spots in the grassy areas around 7" (subtracting the grass, of course). Still coming down, though not quite as heavy as it's been at times. HRRR indicates another 1-3" possible.

No pictures or it didn’t happen.  You were in the precipice lacking, warm nose , dry slot and whatever else could go wrong area this morning!

• Like 3

The wind has really picked up with this secondary feature of the storm.  The snow has been light for the past half hour in this band, but it seems to be picking up a little now in intensity.  The flakes with this latest round are textbook flakes.  You can see all the typical "snowflake shapes".  Just gorgeous!

• Like 3

06:30 AM - 1.5 inches

07:30 AM - 2.0 inches, 0.5 new

08:30 AM - 2.5 inches, 0.5 new

10:00 AM - 3 inches, 0.5 new, cleared board

11:00 AM - 3.5 inches, 0.5 new

12:00 PM - 4.5 inches, 1.0 new

01:00 PM - 5.0 inches, 0.5 new

03:00 PM - 5.5 inches, 0.5 new

Temp has dropped to 23.9 over 20.  Chilly!  Snow really coming down now in this deformation band.

• Like 3

From NWS for the Western Piedmont of NC as of 3PM:

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM EST THIS EVENING... * WHAT... HEAVY SNOW IS OCCURRING. PLAN ON DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING DURING THE EVENING COMMUTE. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE EXPECTED, EXCEPT AROUND 1 INCH ALONG AND SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 74.

Just now, CoolBreeze said:

From NWS for the Western Piedmont of NC as of 3PM:

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM EST THIS EVENING... * WHAT... HEAVY SNOW IS OCCURRING. PLAN ON DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING DURING THE EVENING COMMUTE. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE EXPECTED, EXCEPT AROUND 1 INCH ALONG AND SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 74.

2-4 out of that deform band is a big stretch given the current presentation.  If it amps, then maybe.

• Like 2

Just measured an average of 8.5-9", and even 7.5" on the road that has been compacted (also due to additional snow falling from trees onto the road though). Wow is all I have to say. Definitely didn't expect this!

20180117_1525312.jpg

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

2-4 out of that deform band is a big stretch given the current presentation.  If it amps, then maybe.

Yeah, I've gotten a half inch or slightly more so far.

8” as of 3pm between Oxford and Henderson.  About to head back to PGV, took me about two hours to get here and probably double that on the way back.  This area is going to see 10-12” by the looks of radar.  Congrats to all that overperformed. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Agree. Maybe 1-2. But, I’m good with that. Never expected the 7 we have now. 

TW

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Says up to an inch for our update which sounds reasonable.  Back to a mod snow now.