Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/4 Mega Bomb obs.

Ericjcrash

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Blizzard Warnings are issued for frequent gusts greater than or equal to 35 mph accompanied by falling and/or blowing snow, frequently reducing visibility to less than 1/4 mile for three hours or more. A Blizzard Warning means severe winterweather conditions are expected or occurring.

I think in this case, the number of 35MPH+ gusts in NYC itself have been minimal. Long Island might be a different story.

But Queens has been gusting 40+ all morning.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rjay said:

I really thought we has a chance at the deform band this time.  I think it ends up west of us...yet again. 

Just to the west again but it's absolutely ripping here anyway.  

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

can't tell if your being sarcastic hmm.. dt said days ago the conditions were not right for a big east coast snowstorm. but what does he know...

You're bad at sarcasm lol 

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think because you are in that developing subsidence zone between those two bands which is evident on radar over Long Island now

This is exactly what happened in LB during the Boxing day event. Vis up a little closer to .25 from .1 earlier. 

Just now, Rjay said:

Just to the west again but it's absolutely ripping here anyway.  

You're bad at sarcasm lol 

Still going crazy here but looks like it could go into a lull for a time. Deform bands like these for whatever reason like to set up over E NJ. And it will have to pivot back east anyway at some point. 

38 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Heh how much time ya gotta do.....reminds of Burt Lancaster in the Birdman of Alcatraz

Lol it definitely feels like a prison on a day like today. I work in broadcasting. We can’t have any light coming into the studio except for this one window by the fire escape. Looking forward to getting out of here!

7 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

But Queens has been gusting 40+ all morning.

In retrospect they probably could have included the outer boroughs in the Blizzard warning, however JFK is right on the water and facing the ocean, so I'm not sure it's a good representation of Queens as a whole.

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Still going crazy here but looks like it could go into a lull for a time. Deform bands like these for whatever reason like to set up over E NJ. And it will have to pivot back east anyway at some point. 

Lol same sh*t different storm

Screenshot_20180104-110407.png

Just now, sferic said:

From west to east how much longer can we expect this to continue ?

I think within an hour or slightly over we will start seeing the west push of the bands slow and soon after things will start pulling east.  Probably by 1730-18Z.  As that occurs we may see new bands form or reorientation of the ones currently going.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

In retrospect they probably could have included the outer boroughs in the Blizzard warning, however JFK is right on the water and facing the ocean, so I'm not sure it's a good representation of Queens as a whole.

LGA, JFK and HPN all have VERIFIED blizzard conditions already.  Please look at obs before making posts like this.  HPN is not near ANY water and they have VERIFIED BLIZZARD.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

N/NW winds still have to travel over long island, so it's irrelevant how close it is to the open waters of the atlantic. as you would expect, LGA has reported the strongest wind gusts so far...that's the airport with the lowest friction in the city right now. 

Archived