1/4 Mega Bomb obs.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Crushing wind and snow right now

Over 6 inches here

The huge banding is setting up shop over the NYC area. Further west than the models had it.

This is worse than Jan 2016 in terms of banding and winds.

The -6C 850 isotherm rule is working again.  Steve D has mentioned this many times and it does tend to be where the heavier snows are

1 minute ago, TriPol said:

Don't know why the NWS isn't upgrading all of NYC and Nassau to a Blizzard Warning.

Blizzard Warnings are issued for frequent gusts greater than or equal to 35 mph accompanied by falling and/or blowing snow, frequently reducing visibility to less than 1/4 mile for three hours or more. A Blizzard Warning means severe winterweather conditions are expected or occurring.

I think in this case, the number of 35MPH+ gusts in NYC itself have been minimal. Long Island might be a different story.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Blizzard Warnings are issued for frequent gusts greater than or equal to 35 mph accompanied by falling and/or blowing snow, frequently reducing visibility to less than 1/4 mile for three hours or more. A Blizzard Warning means severe winterweather conditions are expected or occurring.

I think in this case, the number of 35MPH+ gusts in NYC itself have been minimal. Long Island might be a different story.

I'd have to defer to the obs but the gusts are intense up here in Harlem. Sideways snow. 

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

i'm in nyc and the wind in this storm.. blows away the blizzard of 2016,, whatever the reason is for not upgrading the city for a blizzard warning.. it's not the wind...fault..

Archived