Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Get used to it. SFM is a sand pit and perfect on radiational cooling nights. It will often be within a few degrees of the northern radiators like HIE/BML/IZG.

Also from what I could see on my drive in the sea smoke looked even more impressive this morning. I think the minimal wind allowed for some taller columns to form.

Watching SFM tank each night is quickly becoming one of my favorites things to track.

But yeah, the sea smoke was incredible. Columns were massive at the horizon and around the Nubble.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Even with poor snow growth, if you are getting down to around 1SM (like CON is) you're accumulating some snow. Especially when surface temps are no issue.

It's not hard enough for 1SM visibility here, but still impressive to see light coating on my car when it's this cold and dry. Will be interesting to see how much we manage to accumulate.

14 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Pretty nice snow here too, visibility looks like about 3/4 mile.

Just enough to make me regret sprinkling some sunflower seeds on the ground this morning for my unusually large junco flock.

The flock gets bigger every year. They gobble up any spilled food on the ground from the chickens too which is a plus. Every time I look outside there's at least a dozen of them out.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

The flock gets bigger every year. They gobble up any spilled food on the ground from the chickens too which is a plus. Every time I look outside there's at least a dozen of them out.

What is up with the Junco's?   I threw seed out a few weeks ago and we have dozens.  Usually chickadees but not one? Weird.  Meanwhile 2F with weak sun and 3 mile vis snow grain stuff.   Very arctic-like 

Had to go to Derby, VT today, which for those f you who are unfamiliar with VT is where I-91 ends at the Canadian border. Moderate snow started just after 12:00.  Very tiny flakes but with enough sticking power to have plow trucks out on 91. I would estimate that visibility got down to 1/2 mile or so over Sheffield Heights, which is just under 1900’ and is the highest point on 91.  Snow persisted all the way back to Barre. 

On the cold front, KMPV hit 0F at the 5:51 pm reading on 12/27 and hasn’t been above since. :shiver:

49 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

What is up with the Junco's?   I threw seed out a few weeks ago and we have dozens.  Usually chickadees but not one? Weird.  Meanwhile 2F with weak sun and 3 mile vis snow grain stuff.   Very arctic-like 

No idea on the juncos. We have plenty of chickadees here though along with the numerous blue jays and mourning doves. We usually have a male and female cardinal every winter, but I've only seen the male so far.

Starting to clear out now and down to 1F. Winds are under 10mph so it'll be interesting to see how much we can drop with such a cold max to work off of.

Back to back record low maxes for ORH barring some kind of jump. That hasn't happened in DJF since Jan 2004.

Archived