Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Stuff like this is why I love this board. Very very cool phenomenon. Thanks.

And it's been know for a long time now, check out the MWR from 1939 (ftp://ftp.library.noaa.gov/docs.lib/htdocs/rescue/mwr/067/mwr-067-11-0432a.pdf

Force 10 is storm force on the Beaufort scale for those that don't know (48-55 knots).

Unsuspecting or unaware mariners can have their day ruined pretty quickly. 

42 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Another 12 hours and my bar will drop some more. I'd be surprised if we get a colder max than today, though.

It's been a fun first experience with subzero weather.

You will get to run the gauntlet on the full CNE winter in just about a 30 day period...........:lol:

6 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I assumed the haze was the blown snow. I do see snow being blown off though. Any idea the source of the ice crystals? Great lakes?

Typically what happens is warmer air aloft (think big low level radiation inversion) can support liquid water (which can stay liquid down to -40C). When the inversion starts to break, that liquid water is mixed into the colder lower level air. RH goes up, ice crystals form, especially when you have salt or pollution in the air to support "warmer" temp ice formation.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Well the formation is very similar (adding water vapor to much cooler air to the point that it condenses into a liquid). 

yeah, i get that part. just sounded like that TV met was being ignorant. but maybe i am just nit-picky on the terminology. if i went out to the harbor and stuck my hand out over the water, would the steam burn my hand? :P

Just now, SJonesWX said:

yeah, i get that part. just sounded like that TV met was being ignorant. but maybe i am just nit-picky on the terminology. if i went out to the harbor and stuck my hand out over the water, would the steam burn my hand? :P

I get the point, but absent the boiling water the process is the same. I mean we typically don't burn ourselves with steam rising off a hot drink either. ;)

Man, it's so cold my isentropic charts are too high in the atmosphere. I might have to create some new ones at around 265 K in order to get a look at mid level isentropic flow.

Since potential temp decreases with height, as the atmosphere gets colder, the lower values of potential temp "come out of the ground," bumping higher potential temp values higher into the atmosphere. Typically the 850-700 mb will be around 285-290 K give or take, but instead 285 K is up around 500 mb by Saturday.

22 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Typically what happens is warmer air aloft (think big low level radiation inversion) can support liquid water (which can stay liquid down to -40C). When the inversion starts to break, that liquid water is mixed into the colder lower level air. RH goes up, ice crystals form, especially when you have salt or pollution in the air to support "warmer" temp ice formation.

METAR KMPV 281805Z AUTO 31018G24KT 2 1/2SM HZ FEW013 OVC019 M21/M24

That's pretty brutal at Montpelier but continued with the 2.5sm visibility haze.

-6F with winds gusting to 30mph at 1pm in the afternoon and a wind chill of -30F. 

That's for the lower elevations.  It's in a whole other realm up here on the mountains.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

METAR KMPV 281805Z AUTO 31018G24KT 2 1/2SM HZ FEW013 OVC019 M21/M24

That's pretty brutal at Montpelier but continued with the 2.5sm visibility haze.

-6F with winds gusting to 30mph at 1pm in the afternoon and a wind chill of -30F. 

That's for the lower elevations.  It's in a whole other realm up here on the mountains.

MWN has finally "warmed" to -58 wind chills, which is the warmest it's been since Boxing Day.

1 minute ago, HimoorWx said:

Brutal wind chill on the outer Cape and lots of arctic sea smoke. Also saw what looked like mini water spouts or dust devils over the water. Is that plausible?

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Yes. 

If you have really dramatic temp difference between air and water, and at least some wind, you can get unstable currents to form and steam devils are quite common. Champlain gets them often.

Yes. 
If you have really dramatic temp difference between air and water, and at least some wind, you can get unstable currents to form and steam devils are quite common. Champlain gets them often.
Thanks for the explanation. Heading back to the ocean now. Will try to get pix

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I don't think its snow blowing off the mountains... its just very cold and very small ice crystals hanging in the air.

Jan. 18, 1982 brought the lowest WCI I've experienced, -101 on the old scale, probably -70s on the new.  That morning was -34 with winds gusting 35+, and visibility was 2 miles in tiny snow grains.  Only a dusting, the heatless sun was visible thru the clouds, in fact the sky straight above looked blue-ish.  My pickup was plugged in (the good heater hose device, not the inadequate dipstick warmer) and it still barely started.  High for the day was -14.

South end of Moosehead at 2 PM, -11 with WCI -37, up from -12 and -41 the hour before.  With a 25-mile NNW fetch off the lake and lots of new pow, must be an interesting afternoon in Greenville.

Archived