Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, MetHerb said:

My wife and I have these discussions about the various degrees of ruralness.  It's all relative.  There's SNE rural style here in NE CT, then parts of N VT & N ME for the other extreme in New England.  Then there's plains rural and further west in parts of Idaho and Oregon you could fit most of New England in places that have fewer than 2 people per square mile.  SE Oregon would qualify as the frontier in the old west days.  Now that's a whole new realm.

I remember alll the "city" kids acting as if the area was some place with nothing to do.  To me the area had more to do than where I grew up so I was fine with it.  I loved it up there.

City people always seem to think that rural folks aren't sophisticated and they stereotype them like that.

Well I've lived in a real combination of city and country.  Dover, DE (rural, farming, kinda southern)  Philadelphia (middle of the city urban) and Webster, NH (Yankee countryside)and now Dover, NH for a year.  Like most things in life there is good and not so good everywhere.  Weatherwise and culturally I'd never live in Florida.  Philly was/is a great city and a tremendous place to live.  Rural people (and even some suburban people) stereotype Philly and other large large cities as crime-infested and scary, and they are afraid of them sometimes...completely untrue and stereotypical.  Webster and now Boscawen (moving there when house is done in 2 months) are great for many reasons...simplicity, space, gardening, hiking, and of course weather/snow.  Also, only an hour from Boston, 45 minutes to the Whites, one hour to the beach.  70"/year and inexpensive land/real estate.  The lack of diversity does bother me though, and I spend a lot of time on business and visiting other more urban places.  While we have been largely accepted as an openly gay couple, rural locations can be less sophisticated and more exclusive than many urban areas, and his rural/urban split does really show up in elections.  Just look at who voted for Trump, and his current approval ratings.

I couldn't live in a place that leaned to heavily in a rural direction, i.e. the middle of Idaho.  I would feel my existence would be too limited.  But I do love how it does feel a bit like the middle of nowhere in Boscawen/Webster, and I get the advantages of living in a rural NNE Yankee style area, and near nice little towns, while not losing access to cities.  BTW, the best city in this part of the world for snow is Quebec City.  For more rural areas, I think my area is one of the best, for the balance I describe above.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice with -21F the lowest hourly.  I bet they were jumping around all night.  Be fun to look at the 1-min data.

Very jumpy

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=KLEB&time=GMT

I like -20F at one hour and -21F the next...but in between the hourlies a mix out to -9F. Such is life in the river valleys.

Archived