joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the high at ORH was 6F...maybe 7F if it got there in between obs. Either way, this would be the coldest December high temperature at ORH since Christmas Day 1983 when the high only reached 4F.

Only 6 other times has a December high temp been colder than 6F at ORH...1917 (-1F), 1933 (5F), 1962 (1F), 1968 (2F), 1983 (4F), and 1955 (5F)

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like the high at ORH was 6F...maybe 7F if it got there in between obs. Either way, this would be the coldest December high temperature at ORH since Christmas Day 1983 when the high only reached 4F.

Only 6 other times has a December high temp been colder than 6F at ORH...1917 (-1F), 1933 (5F), 1962 (1F), 1968 (2F), 1983 (4F), and 1955 (5F)

I'm surprised 1989 isn't on there.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Means I has seen 4/7 and Jerry and Tamarack all 7. Have to say for a warming background we sure have been setting lots of daily low Maxes lately as well as 850s . Long live baked Alaska

2 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

You know me... the weather tourist.

In 2017 alone: first tornado, first aurora, first solar eclipse, first foot of snow, first subzero wx, first White Christmas.

Good luck, 2018.

Dude you bring good JUJU, usually the peeps who move up here and join our sub forum move in a 11/12 winter. Happy you are getting why our winter lover posters get excited when things go right. Get us the cold it will snow. Enjoy and here's hoping for many more first experiences

Darn.    I  really wanted a below zero day but briefly warmed up to 1.1F.  Low last night was -8F well off my all-time low of -17F.

About that haze.  I noticed it too.  I made a  time lapse of it.  Seemed to be under the layer of scattered Cu and maybe it was just fine virga with small flakes with such little water content being broken up by the wind into diamond dust?  When I looked towards the sun and shielded my eyes it looked like  fine snow crystals or diamond dust was in the air.  It wasn't blowing snow either.  In arctic regions, I have noted in videos that phenomena too.  It's gone now..

https://video.nest.com/clip/dad6a946c4564d33988a4b3d782bb880.mp4

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Dude you bring good JUJU, usually the peeps who move up here and join our sub forum move in a 11/12 winter. Happy you are getting why our winter lover posters get excited when things go right. Get us the cold it will snow. Enjoy and here's hoping for many more first experiences

Haha thanks! It's incredible how good this winter has been after many years of chasing the cold to even get a chance of something in the South. 

We get 120 days from our last launch before our balloon launch certificate expires. I usually try and catch a warmer late November or early December day so I can make it through winter without a really cold launch. This is not how I prefer to extend my certification. :shiver:

There is a weak heater up the hill at GYX, but at DVN we used hydrogen and it was completely unheated.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Well the evening balloon shift called in sick. Now I'm stuck doing a double.

Oh, and GYX just slipped back below 0 (from a "high" of 1.7).

I almost rather get stuck in MHX balloon station next to a snake (true story) than to attempt a sub-zero weather launch. 

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Darn.    I  really wanted a below zero day but briefly warmed up to 1.1F.  Low last night was -8F well off my all-time low of -17F.

About that haze.  I noticed it too.  I made a  time lapse of it.  Seemed to be under the layer of scattered Cu and maybe it was just fine virga with small flakes with such little water content being broken up by the wind into diamond dust?  When I looked towards the sun and shielded my eyes it looked like  fine snow crystals or diamond dust was in the air.  It wasn't blowing snow either.  In arctic regions, I have noted in videos that phenomena too.  It's gone now..

https://video.nest.com/clip/dad6a946c4564d33988a4b3d782bb880.mp4

I just went outside to feed the chooks and it reeked of a burning/gas smell and I noticed a little haze in the air too. We have oil so it's not us.

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That wind is ripping right now. All of the glaze is finally breaking off of the trees and it sounds like broken glass falling to the ground and blowing around across the snow.

0.4F

Really interesting how your wind is ripping and I have gone almost calm.  Was ripping here for much of the day even with my NW tree protection.

High was 1.1F.   Now down to -2F.     20F is going to feel quite comfortable whenever we might see it next...

25 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We get 120 days from our last launch before our balloon launch certificate expires. I usually try and catch a warmer late November or early December day so I can make it through winter without a really cold launch. This is not how I prefer to extend my certification. :shiver:

There is a weak heater up the hill at GYX, but at DVN we used hydrogen and it was completely unheated.

First world problems say the construction guys outside all day working

I’m relieved we haven’t had any wind to speak of up here (yet).  I don’t think it got above 0F today.  But with no wind, I decided to clear some pathways around our place.  I love the cold without wind.  Brutal, instant snot-freezing, man type cold.  I love standing on my deck when it’s quiet at night, listening to nearby homes doing their frost quake sounds, ice covered branches breaking way out in the woods.  Haven’t had it like this in a while, just love it.  I admit that I’ll have a different take on it if it lasts for weeks on end though....

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Never sniffed zero.

My car said -3F at 2:30pm when I pulled in the driveway. 

MVL looks like -2F for a couple hourly reports this afternoon, guess it could've hit 0F between hours.

MVL locked in a -30 ave deviation so far that's impressive in cold season. Imagine a plus 30 in warm season, doesn't happen

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Means I has seen 4/7 and Jerry and Tamarack all 7. Have to say for a warming background we sure have been setting lots of daily low Maxes lately as well as 850s . Long live baked Alaska

Yup.  Only got up to -4 that Dec 30 in '17 at our house in NNJ, which would be built 33 years later.  :lol:   Windy too, or why NYC topped out at 2°, their coldest max on record.

Good chance today was my 1st sub-zero max in Dec.  Last Dec 16 max of +1 holds the record going into today.

Archived