Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
wxeyeNH

Long lasting intense Cold for New England

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

A long-lasting very  cold airmass is about to enter New England.  It might not be record breaking or as intense as some that we have had but the longevity could make this very rememberable. 

Maybe someone can put this in perspective but I think this is worthy of its own thread...

Discuss... 

It could very well be record breaking

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Any similarity, pattern wise, to the December 1980 cold? I don’t recall that as being as long in duration.

More like Jan. 2004?  I don't see the record-breakers like Christmas 1980; I think BOS had an afternoon max of about zero, spoiled by a cheap 12:01 AM high.  Jan. '04 doesn't hold my minima record, but it has the lion's share of low maxima.  If this upcoming spell verifies, I might go a week without ever reaching 10°.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Bad timing for skiing and Christmas break. This will reduce profits at a key money making time of the year.

My wife and I are headed to Jay Peak this week from 12/28-1/1. It was a bit of a last minute trip booked a few weeks ago. She wanted to go to Mexico lol. Anyone know any good divorce lawyers?  Ha ha. At least the slopes won't be crowded. I keep telling my wife it's a dry cold. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

More like Jan. 2004?  I don't see the record-breakers like Christmas 1980; I think BOS had an afternoon max of about zero, spoiled by a cheap 12:01 AM high.  Jan. '04 doesn't hold my minima record, but it has the lion's share of low maxima.  If this upcoming spell verifies, I might go a week without ever reaching 10°.

Yeah. It looks like it has stamina. If BOX is correct, I don’t get to 15after tomorrow for a week.

I don’t recall Jan 2004 too well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Redmorninglight said:

My wife and I are headed to Jay Peak this week from 12/28-1/1. It was a bit of a last minute trip booked a few weeks ago. She wanted to go to Mexico lol. Anyone know any good divorce lawyers?  Ha ha. At least the slopes won't be crowded. I keep telling my wife it's a dry cold. 

There’s always the waterpark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

There’s always the waterpark. 

Yup thanks and I'm sure that will be the popular spot. Can't imagine the heating bills to keep that running. 

I doubt she will ski. If the lifts are running I will board.  Spent a week in Canada in early 90s during cold like this. One night it was -40 and that is still the coldest weather I ever experienced. It's all about layers and keeping all skin covered. Pres weekend 2016 at Killington was a good match. I rode all day in sub zero cold. Between the water park and spa she should be ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Redmorninglight said:

Yup thanks and I'm sure that will be the popular spot. Can't imagine the heating bills to keep that running. 

I doubt she will ski. If the lifts are running I will board.  Spent a week in Canada in early 90s during cold like this. One night it was -40 and that is still the coldest weather I ever experienced. It's all about layers and keeping all skin covered. Pres weekend 2016 at Killington was a good match. I rode all day in sub zero cold. Between the water park and spa she should be ok. 

In January 2009 I was skiing at Sugarloaf with the temperature at -35F, colder than this will be. It's the timing that's bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JC-CT said:

When that lifts out, hard to imagine nothing happens. But it's happened before. 

I hate cold.

Being in the warm sector of a cutter could happen. 

A night or two of record cold is interesting to me, a week of highs in the teens and single digits? Not so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

1060mb high into Montana on the 18z GFS. Jesus.

Glad we don't live there.

GFS played with the idea of 1070 mb last week and it didn't verify well. We'll see how that high do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redmorninglight said:

My wife and I are headed to Jay Peak this week from 12/28-1/1. It was a bit of a last minute trip booked a few weeks ago. She wanted to go to Mexico lol. Anyone know any good divorce lawyers?  Ha ha. At least the slopes won't be crowded. I keep telling my wife it's a dry cold. 

Oh man.  Bring your warm clothes.  Plenty of hot tub time.  Skiing is nice when it's empty though.  And this weather takes "empty" to a new level.

MVL forecast to compare next week...and +2F is the highest temp for 8 days at 700ft elevation.

IMG_7896.thumb.PNG.a807e09dc34f99f9040acaa888bcd877.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh man.  Bring your warm clothes.  Plenty of hot tub time.  Skiing is nice when it's empty though.  And this weather takes "empty" to a new level.

MVL forecast to compare next week...and +2F is the highest temp for 8 days at 700ft elevation.

IMG_7896.thumb.PNG.a807e09dc34f99f9040acaa888bcd877.PNG

Don't worry I hunt and surf in the winter. I'm used to miserable cold. I just wonder at what point do they delay the lifts from running? I noticed at Kmart almost 2 years ago that they delayed opening until 10 or 11 due to severe cold. I think wind chills were near 60-70 below. That was when NYC went below zero first time since 1994. Calm and minus 20 is ok for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, the duration and severity of this cold is pretty incredible....really just made note of it today.

Wow.

If we do not get a significant event when this breaks, that would be a chink in the armor of my outlook.

I'd expect something decent.

 

Maybe we're entering the start of one of Kevin's deadly New England faux droughts.  That would be a kick in the nuts.

15.3*

Disney anyone?

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=seus&pkg=T2m&runtime=2017122606&fh=174

 

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot believe what I'm seeing on the models this morning.  

This is going to suck so much.

The GFS has like -20C or colder from Day 3-10.  

The GGEM 2-M temps up here go below zero at hour 48 and don't go back above zero until like Day 9 at 18z before back to -20F on Day 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×