joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll always remember this cold, snowy month of December . It’s featured multiple snow events, near constant snow cover, a widespread ice event in places that never see one, a snowstorm on Xmas day and one of the coldest extended periods on record. If you forget that, perhaps it’s time to be checked out for Alzheimer’s 

No torch in sight and a nice layer on the ground, I’m happy.  Going to get the lakes solid, that’s for sure.

These two share our king sized bed.  The little one is 80# and her boyfriend was almost 160# in August.  Probably a bit over in his winter clothes.  He looks like a Black Lab on steroids but he’s half St. Bernard.  He looks down on our 3’ kitchen counters, made me nervous when I was carving up the prime rib last night.  It was all he could do to contain himself!  He absolutely lives for the snow, she likes summer swimming.  We’re mostly too warm at night.

647A7B8F-3662-43A7-A6B0-21D4E6D1B204.jpeg

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ll always remember this cold, snowy month of December . It’s featured multiple snow events, near constant snow cover, a widespread ice event in places that never see one, a snowstorm on Xmas day and one of the coldest extended periods on record. If you forget that, perhaps it’s time to be checked out for Alzheimer’s 

Are you fast forwarding? You must have special powers. We are speaking up through now. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Are you fast forwarding? You must have special powers. We are speaking up through now. 

Even if just stayed below freezing thru end of month. Point is this is like the December’s we had growing up . And one most here haven’t lived thru since so many are in their teens thru early 30’s

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Forgettable isn't awful...just won't stand out to me, aside from Christmas...as of now.

I lol'd at the #forgettable line not that fact it wasn't. but Scott is ya know pretty bad at reading comprehension, its ok though he knows weather. Anyways I certainly won't forget yesterday, the rest of the month so far yea. But you also had a rare ice storm, how would you forget that?

Just now, codfishsnowman said:

just right at climo for snow here so that is average and whatever falls b4 NYD will still be in a range of average....way better than prior Decembers but certainly nothing legendary....

I am trying to remember the last time we had 3x normal Dec snowfall...even 08 fell short

Dec 07,08, 09, and 10 so far are right there for good snowy months,but they had their torches. I will say that despite normal snow so far, the ice and Christmas snow are memorable.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

good heavens....what a sales pitch lol

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

I lol'd at the #forgettable line not that fact it wasn't. but Scott is ya know pretty bad at reading comprehension, its ok though he knows weather. Anyways I certainly won't forget yesterday, the rest of the month so far yea. But you also had a rare ice storm, how would you forget that?

You said i was way below.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

DEC 89 I know gets talked about as the benchmark for DEC cold, looking at this COOP from Morrisville from 89, this smaller scale spell seems much worse than any 10 days during 89(if it comes anywhere near fruition) Dec 89 obviously was more wall to wall cold throughout the month though which is super impressive in its on right.

1 day with a high below zero in 89, looks like some big time rad cooling at the end of that month with some 40-50F swings between highs and lows. Maybe Euro is overdoing the cold for this upcoming cold spell.

Im sure there may be better 10 day analogs out there, DEC 89 just jumped into my head because its talked about all the time.

image.thumb.png.72b4a8b922777f5e97c19befba05c583.png

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

DEC 89 I know gets talked about as the benchmark for DEC cold, looking at this COOP from Morrisville from 89, this smaller scale spell seems much worse than any 10 days during 89(if it comes anywhere near fruition) Dec 89 obviously was more wall to wall cold throughout the month though which is super impressive in its on right.

1 day with a high below zero in 89, looks like some big time rad cooling at the end of that month with some 40-50F swings between highs and lows. Maybe Euro is overdoing the cold for this upcoming cold spell.

Im sure there may be better 10 day analogs out there, DEC 89 just jumped into my head because its talked about all the time.

Dec 1989 is something like Feb 2015.  Neither set all that many daily records but crushed the monthly record because they never warmed up (until the last few hours of 12/89.)  Not a 10 day record, but the 7 days 12/29-1/4 at NYC averaged 2.5°, about -31 for that week, and included their coldest daily mean on 12/30 with 2/-13, coldest max too.  (Feb 9, 1934 set their coldest temp at -15, but "warmed" to 8 that afternoon.)

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Even if just stayed below freezing thru end of month. Point is this is like the December’s we had growing up . And one most here haven’t lived thru since so many are in their teens thru early 30’s

You have this vision as if they grew up in an ice age. it was maybe .5F colder.

5 minutes ago, WthrJunkyME said:

No torch in sight and a nice layer on the ground, I’m happy.  Going to get the lakes solid, that’s for sure.

These two share our king sized bed.  The little one is 80# and her boyfriend was almost 160# in August.  Probably a bit over in his winter clothes.  He looks like a Black Lab on steroids but he’s half St. Bernard.  He looks down on our 3’ kitchen counters, made me nervous when I was carving up the prime rib last night.  It was all he could do to contain himself!  He absolutely lives for the snow, she likes summer swimming.  We’re mostly too warm at night.

647A7B8F-3662-43A7-A6B0-21D4E6D1B204.jpeg

Awesome, my daughter rescued a St Bernard Husky mix, little guy is so soft, he is 10 weeks old and huge. I love his name being a moon goon and all, its Luna

luna2.jpg

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You have this vision as if they grew up in an ice age. it was maybe .5F colder.

Even in Jersey we had some cold ,snowy December’s . Then I moved  here in 78 and it continued. This has been one of the best December winter months ever for this fellow. AN snow, pack except for a few days, icing, and lots of cold. Sorry you’d prefer a big storm that melts . You’d be better suited living in Denver if that’s your thing 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Dec 07,08, 09, and 10 so far are right there for good snowy months,but they had their torches. I will say that despite normal snow so far, the ice and Christmas snow are memorable.

07,08 produced here but 09 was a complete dud( only 2 inches from the big one that brought like 8 to bdl and 2 feet to the south coast) and 10 was boxing days 5 inches of arctic sand....both those dec here finished below

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

agree seems to have progressed like the 60s Decembers you remember those right?

17 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Farmington reached -39 on 1/20/1994, for their coldest on record.  Madison's records don't go back as far, and I don't think they've gotten down that low.  State record was set in 2009 at Big Black River, with -50, and there were lots of mid -40s that morning in Aroostook.

I was looking and even saw a back to back -35F and -33F in Jan 94 down here in the banana belt of SVT. Crazy.

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The snowfall total in and of itself was absolutely forgettable. I'll remember the Christmas snow and the ice storm, sure.

Archived