Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

83.1" with a 51" pack in March 2001. Wow.

Its incredible to drive through there in mid-winter.  Eden Notch on RT 100 is another world.  The snowpack will be like 2 feet in Morrisville/Hyde Park and then up in Westfield... but you drive RT 100 through Eden and that 2 feet turns to 3-4 feet.

If you follow the RT 100 corridor from say Stowe/Morrisville area up to Westfield... the town of Eden is the high point on 100.  The elevation drops going south and going north.  It's also located on the eastern side of the spine and holds cold like nobody's business.  It's probably one of the best upslope "fake snow" and snowpack combo places in Vermont, IMO.  Also as isolated as it gets.  I mean that's why some young people in this area buy there because you can get a house for dirt cheap.  There's literally nothing around.

Add in the fact that subtle topography stuff like the spine isn't a "wall" like it is down here where if the flow is blocked you get highly variable amounts from one side to the other.  Up there the terrain is more muted but still high... like 1,500-3,300ft stuff that still does plenty of orographic lift without completely blocking you out in certain events.  So they just snow in all set-ups. 

Think of it like J.Spin's spot but 1,000ft higher and it never melts.

veRFZXZ.png

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The COOP had 218" in 07-08. That would've beaten jspin's 203". :o

Yeah and I doubt they are as meticulous with every 6 hour measurements like J.Spin.  If that is a once a day measurement that would be a sick amount of snow.  The legend of Eden, VT may be starting on this forum now, haha.

Its a well known area around these parts as being the "snowiest" of a generally snowy region.  Snowmobilers love it up there.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Its incredible to drive through there in mid-winter.  Eden Notch on RT 100 is another world.  The snowpack will be like 2 feet in Morrisville/Hyde Park and then up in Westfield... but you drive RT 100 through Eden and that 2 feet turns to 3-4 feet.

If you follow the RT 100 corridor from say Stowe/Morrisville area up to Westfield... the town of Eden is the high point on 100.  The elevation drops going south and going north.  It's also located on the eastern side of the spine and holds cold like nobody's business.  It's probably one of the best upslope "fake snow" and snowpack combo places in Vermont, IMO.  Also as isolated as it gets.  I mean that's why some young people in this area buy there because you can get a house for dirt cheap.  There's literally nothing around.

Add in the fact that subtle topography stuff like the spine isn't a "wall" like it is down here where if the flow is blocked you get highly variable amounts from one side to the other.  Up there the terrain is more muted but still high... like 1,500-3,300ft stuff that still does plenty of orographic lift without completely blocking you out in certain events.  So they just snow in all set-ups. 

Think of it like J.Spin's spot but 1,000ft higher and it never melts.

veRFZXZ.png

Guessing it has the same climate as my grandfathers in quebec.. At the top of that image all the way to the right, you can see the lake my grandfather lives on just over the border in quebec.. Its surrounded by hills and mountains.. Reminds me of saranac lake as temps would be about the same every night... Elevation is 1700ft. And they get a ton of snow

1 minute ago, ineedsnow said:

Guessing it has the same climate as my grandfathers in quebec.. At the top of that image all the way to the right, you can see the lake my grandfather lives on just over the border in quebec.. Its surrounded by hills and mountains.. Reminds me of saranac lake as temps would be about the same every night... Elevation is 1700ft. And they get a ton of snow

Stanstead?

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Wished we lived there, but then I see it’s squeal like a pig country. 

It's on another level of isolation.  Rangley, ME looks like a metropolis compared to Eden.  Though you can get to BTV in about 45 minutes to an hour.  But to me it is past that point of rural and into a whole other realm. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It's on another level of isolation.  Rangley, ME looks like a metropolis compared to Eden.  Though you can get to BTV in about 45 minutes to an hour.  But to me it is past that point of rural and into a whole other realm. 

Lol you young guys. Someday you will look for your Eden . 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

My wife and I have these discussions about the various degrees of ruralness.  It's all relative.  There's SNE rural style here in NE CT, then parts of N VT & N ME for the other extreme in New England.  Then there's plains rural and further west in parts of Idaho and Oregon you could fit most of New England in places that have fewer than 2 people per square mile.  SE Oregon would qualify as the frontier in the old west days.  Now that's a whole new realm.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Deal breaker. Sounds like even less life than my days at LSC.

I remember alll the "city" kids acting as if the area was some place with nothing to do.  To me the area had more to do than where I grew up so I was fine with it.  I loved it up there.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Wished we lived there, but then I see it’s squeal like a pig country. 

City people always seem to think that rural folks aren't sophisticated and they stereotype them like that.

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

My wife and I have these discussions about the various degrees of ruralness.  It's all relative.  There's SNE rural style here in NE CT, then parts of N VT & N ME for the other extreme in New England.  Then there's plains rural and further west in parts of Idaho and Oregon you could fit most of New England in places that have fewer than 2 people per square mile.  SE Oregon would qualify as the frontier in the old west days.  Now that's a whole new realm.

I remember alll the "city" kids acting as if the area was some place with nothing to do.  To me the area had more to do than where I grew up so I was fine with it.  I loved it up there.

City people always seem to think that rural folks aren't sophisticated and they stereotype them like that.

You've got a perty mouth.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It isn't about having nothing to do. I'm a fairly boring person. I just need my basic stores reasonably close by. I don't want to spend $3 for an avocado at Fred's grocery mart or $7 for a 2x4 at Bob's Hardware.

That’s where I fall. Where we are now, it’s as rural as it gets in SWCT but I’m a 5-10 minute drive away from everything. Retirement, please hurry, location will be no different. 

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It isn't about having nothing to do. I'm a fairly boring person. I just need my basic stores reasonably close by. I don't want to spend $3 for an avocado at Fred's grocery mart or $7 for a 2x4 at Bob's Hardware.

That is one good thing about where I am.  Despite my ton being very rural with very few stores, etc., I am only 5-10 minutes from basic stuff - hospital, Wally World, cinema, grocery stores, banks, etc.

I am starting to get bored with the people in town though

Archived