Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm bummed we missed it two nights in a row with only negative teens (though some meso-stations in the area got -18F type stuff)....

Two nights ago we had a bit too much wind and clouds, while ART was -32F (still the lowest ASOS reading in the northeast from this cold shot I think?) to our west.  Then last night got foiled with cloud cover again while further east in Maine was down near -30F in spots.  Good progression from west of us to east of us in back-to-back nights.

I guess you know its cold when its cloudy and -16F.

i feel the same way with my clouds and -7.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

See below.

I'm almost positive he gets out and walks around the car just to feel it.

lol...sounds like something I would do.  I love cold weather.

-4° here off a record low high of 8° yesterday so not much of a range but on average it was almost 26 degrees below my normal average for the date.

-12 at DAW (a new all-time coldest temp for me). Sanford, ME not too far up the road scored -25... what a weenie spot :blink:

I went outside when it was -6 and it wasn't as bad as yesterday's -20 wind chill. Sea smoke was incredible over Gulf of Maine when I went out for a quick coastal sightseeing.

25 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

-12 at DAW (a new all-time coldest temp for me). Sanford, ME not too far up the road scored -25... what a weenie spot :blink:

I went outside when it was -6 and it wasn't as bad as yesterday's -20 wind chill. Sea smoke was incredible over Gulf of Maine when I went out for a quick coastal sightseeing.

Get used to it. SFM is a sand pit and perfect on radiational cooling nights. It will often be within a few degrees of the northern radiators like HIE/BML/IZG.

Also from what I could see on my drive in the sea smoke looked even more impressive this morning. I think the minimal wind allowed for some taller columns to form.

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Get used to it. SFM is a sand pit and perfect on radiational cooling nights. It will often be within a few degrees of the northern radiators like HIE/BML/IZG.

Also from what I could see on my drive in the sea smoke looked even more impressive this morning. I think the minimal wind allowed for some taller columns to form.

Yeah, it was pretty impressive down at the water.  This is from Ocean Gateway.  No wind here (I even managed to go without a hat).  I also zipped over to Portland Head Light - a bit of a breeze there.

IMG_20171229_110308_655.jpg

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Coating of snow now. Up to -0.3F.

These are arctic like crystals with little growth to them at all. Tiny columns, prisms, or bullets.

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

legit light snow here.  1F, but hey no wind!

Keep 'em coming, I'm trying to coax the short term guy to update the damn grids to put some snow in. I prefer not to order him to do it, but we're quickly approaching that point.

Archived