Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Day 5 with highs in the teens.  Pretty impressive there.  Lows have not been extraordinary.  Looks like I have one more day in the teens before impending storm.

Yeah 20s will feel like a heat wave. Then we deep freeze next weekweek before thawing. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, PeabodyFlood said:

From what I’ve heard, I think it’s supposedly because of issues with the busses rather than it being too cold to survive. 

If the busses don’t start (which would not surprise me after largely being unused since Dec 22), lots of kiddos would be waiting a long time.   It’s happened numerous times in my district as well as I the one I live in. 

The drivers don’t go in early since they are largely retirees or moms looking to make a little more coin.

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

20s would probably have people tailgating in the parking lot and skiing in bikinis like it was a 60F day of spring skiing in April.  Hard to believe even teens would be 30 degrees warmer than it's been on the upper mountain.

Grilling and driving in pickup trucks with the windows down with arms on the sill.

Wachusett has been empty during what is typically a very busy time.  My son worked one carpet lift last night and only one person rode it over three hours on New Year’s Eve.

ORH with a record low today. Tied 1918. They set a new record low max...also from 1918 previously. So basically that means it was the coldest New Year's Day on record for ORH. 

That also makes 3 new record low maximums in the past 5 days at ORH. Dec 28 and 29 also set record low maxes. 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Grilling and driving in pickup trucks with the windows down with arms on the sill.

Wachusett has been empty during what is typically a very busy time.  My son worked one carpet lift last night and only one person rode it over three hours on New Year’s Eve.

The cold definitely impacted tourism business in New England this holiday week.  Luckily for the lodges, shops and restaurants it's still really busy because the reservations are made so far in advance and lodging for vacation weeks is always paid in full ahead of time.  The mountain towns were packed but the ski areas never got to the holiday sh*tshow level.  Stuff like breweries and side attractions did very well this week though.

Man it is cold out there right now.  Took the dog out for a quick evening walk and skies are crystal clear with almost no haze (finally) and a huge full moon. 

Could immediately tell it was very cold, the nostril freezing deep-breath hurts type cold.

We have struggled for a good rad night here with the mins being a bit under-whelming...but it is finally happening at MVL. 

-18F at 8pm at MVL and -20F for HIE.  LEB also tanking at -15F.  That's fukkin' cold for 8pm in the evening.

jXWIwAl.jpg

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I may chase cold this weekend. I want to get out in some -30s.

It's gotten interesting in a sense. This must be what it's like to live in Siberia. We still have snow covered trees, occasionally it starts snowing for no reason and with no clouds... It's been a bit surreal. Had 2 renters with dead batteries and had to help an old lady today who couldn't get hers started. 

13 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

-5F here.    

This is growing tiresome

Yeah, getting the dogs out to toilet has been a challenge in and of itself.  They are like wtf man? I ain't walkin' in this sh*t!

The boy and I played board games, built legos and watched videos today, no sense in goin' out, plenty of winter left for that.

1 minute ago, alex said:

It's gotten interesting in a sense. This must be what it's like to live in Siberia. We still have snow covered trees, occasionally it starts snowing for no reason and with no clouds... It's been a bit surreal. Had 2 renters with dead batteries and had to help an old lady today who couldn't get hers started. 

Go buy a jar of bubbles to blow for next weekend, fun parlor tricks in extreme low temps.  Tomorrow morning I'll try the boiling water to slush trick.

20 minutes ago, alex said:

Drove through your neck of the woods today. Took my visiting English relatives over the Kancamagus, to N.Conway and back through Crawford Notch. The car thermo hit 10 in N.Conway but hovered on the negative side of 0 for most of the day. We got out at the top of the Kanc to take some pictures. Pretty cold but not as bad as yesterday at the top of the Appalachian Gap. Most of our sightseeing has been from a car with brief jaunts out to take snapshots or run into stores and restaurants. It’s been quite an experience for them the last week and a half. 

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

20s would probably have people tailgating in the parking lot and skiing in bikinis like it was a 60F day of spring skiing in April.  Hard to believe even teens would be 30 degrees warmer than it's been on the upper mountain.

I saw a picture of closing day and I was skiing in shorts and a T-shirt. My brain couldn't compute how I was surviving outside like that. It isn't always this cold? 

Medium range guidance for next weekend even more impressive. -9F for the high here in BTV Saturday.....which might be the coldest high I've ever experienced. I've seen a lot of cold lows but a -9F high might be the winner.  That's serious cold 

Archived