Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Ugh. Kinda wish I snowblowed last night after the winds relaxed a bit.

I got numerous face-fulls this morning (4:30-6:30) but would've gotten the same last night, and would not had the moon to help me see what I was doing.  Glad my 13" was 13:1 powder.

P'n'C high for Rangeley tomorrow is -10.  With wind.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

should be 'bout ready to wrap this thread up pretty soon here if those Euro runs succeed in finally bringing GW to New England...   model's been buckin' for it all along - 

I hesitated when I started this thread back on Dec 25th.  Think we got our money's worth out of this cold.  Grand finale now over the next 48 hours.  I was wondering why Mt Washington was so warm today, holding in the mid teens below zero this afternoon.  Suddenly in the past couple of hours they have dropped to -29F.  I guess this is the real push of the extreme cold aloft which should filter down over the next few hours.

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I hesitated when I started this thread back on Dec 25th.  Think we got our money's worth out of this cold.  Grand finale now over the next 48 hours.  I was wondering why Mt Washington was so warm today, holding in the mid teens below zero this afternoon.  Suddenly in the past couple of hours they have dropped to -29F.  I guess this is the real push of the extreme cold aloft which should filter down over the next few hours.

That's interesting.  We were running around -20F on Mansfield since about 10am this morning.  Wonder why MWN was warmer and then all the sudden dropped a bunch.

Feels like the wind has picked up again here at home.  Lots of blowing and drifting snow at below zero temps...deep winter.

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's interesting.  We were running around -20F on Mansfield since about 10am this morning.  Wonder why MWN was warmer and then all the sudden dropped a bunch.

Feels like the wind has picked up again here at home.  Lots of blowing and drifting snow at below zero temps...deep winter.

Maybe because they were closer to the low and a little bit of warmer air was still wrapping around?   I really have no idea.  It also seems like a push of CAA has just past through here like a secondary cold front.  I have been 100% cloudy all day with light flurries.  Temp slowly fell as you can see by my graph.  Then around 5pm the flurries became steady light snow and the temperature started to drop much more rapidly.  It was not because of sunset either.

Untitled.jpg

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Jeez... now this is the real deal cold.

Whiteface in the Adirondacks is gusting over 100mph at -26F.

January5_whiteface.jpg.125b40a560947bbb9fae5c5a7c313809.jpg

I LOVE those conditions! Those are the approximate weather conditions that were realized on May 10-11, 1996, on Everest, in The Death Zone. Beautiful jebwalk weather!

5 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Still getting heavy flour with low visibility (3/4 mile or so).  Seems like only here/con/hie have it.  It looks pretty impressive but has only added up to maybe half an inch.

Peak gust of 43 once the wind turned more west.  The mega gusts last night went unmeasured.

Just came back from CON. All I saw was relentless BLSN. You couldn’t even see where it came from. It’s like it’s just suspended in air.

14 hours ago, MarkO said:

Anyone have access to forecast surface temp maps for Sunday morning? Will someone hit -40F?

14 hours ago, tamarack said:

If Aroostook is calm, there should be some there - I'll pick -45 for Big Black River and/or Estcourt Station.

The last blast of Arctic air we were pretty routinely going 5 degrees below the 925 mb temps. With some -30s popping up Sun morning, we should be pushing -40.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

The last blast of Arctic air we were pretty routinely going 5 degrees below the 925 mb temps. With some -30s popping up Sun morning, we should be pushing -40.

Left N. Aroostook on Sunday Morning the 31st/New Years Eve, it was -8f at 7:15 am.

Got into N. CT, 9 hours later and it was 7 degrees F.  

Don’t know where those -30’s your talking about are coming from last week??  Unless it was that much colder south of St. Agatha and Madawaska that day???  But driving home through the whole State...temps weren’t any colder than the north...but it didn’t get above zero until slightly north of Augusta.  

54 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Left N. Aroostook on Sunday Morning the 31st/New Years Eve, it was -8f at 7:15 am.

Got into N. CT, 9 hours later and it was 7 degrees F.  

Don’t know where those -30’s your talking about are coming from last week??  Unless it was that much colder south of St. Agatha and Madawaska that day???  But driving home through the whole State...temps weren’t any colder than the north...but it didn’t get above zero until slightly north of Augusta.  

IZG hit -31 1/1, HIE -30 and -33 1/1 and 1/2

1/2 North Stratford coop hit -40.

Archived