Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

16 hours ago, Hazey said:

Lol. The spitting idea is great. Probably have to be -40 or more for that to happen. I think for the boiling water trick, it has to be at least -30c (-22f) to have a shot. It will never happen in my hood.

According to Jack London ("To Build a Fire") the threshold is -50 for spit freezing/crackling before it hits the ground.

Had -14 in calm air at 9 last night.  About -7 with a strong breeze at present, making it feel way colder.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, tunafish said:

Parts of Casco Bay already frozen.  Another 7-10 days of this and the ferry routes will start to close. 

Back in 2015 the Chebeague ferry had to run non-stop to keep the ice broken up. 

I would like to do siggy pack ice this year though, because with the new GOES-East in place we will have better resolution to see it.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It is frigid this morning.

Windy and -10F on my car leaving my house. 

16 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

- 8°   Coldest morning so far. 

Funny--I was thinking this was a balmy morning as we stayed on the positive side.

1.2* with a progged high of 3*.

Pit2 managed -7.  The river must be pretty iced.

8 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I'm going to start calling this "continuous low tire pressure light" weather.

I almost lost some fingers trying to add some air to my tires yesterday. It was the warmest forecast afternoon in the stretch until midweek and I didn't want to wait that long. Unfortunately that "warm" temp was still 4 by the time I got to the gas station.

2 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

How are the chickens handling this cold?

I put the greenhouse film around the run. They're doing okay in the coop at night. The coldest I've seen it in there in the morning is around 0F. With 17 birds in there they generate quite a bit of heat even with the top eaves open.

I let them out Thursday and they seemed fairly miserable under the coop huddled up together. Friday I experimented keeping them in the coop all day since it was kinda raw with the -SN falling and temps near 0F. Yesterday I left them out of the coop around midday and they seemed fine with the temp pushing 10F with some filtered sun and little wind. It's up to 3F now, but with the wind I really don't want to let them out. Occasionally a gust will mix in and over the film and they get perturbed. They've done well overall though. The cold doesn't bother me as much as cold+moisture and wind. The 2 ceramic heat emitters I have in there radiate just enough heat to keep the RH low enough to prevent frostbite. I would've been concerned without them last night considering how cold and raw it was.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Impressive for sure, you might not be too far off with your hyperbole this time.

I don't see ORH having 3 single digit highs in the month of December ever.

With the exception of 15 minutes following the passing of the arctic reenforcement last night at 11:45 (I spiked to 10.7), I've been in single digits since 4:30p.m. on the 27th.  41 of the those hours have been below 5*.  I'll probalby add 24-36 hours to that 41.

2.6*

5 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

With the exception of 15 minutes with the passing

With the exception of 15 minutes following the passing of the arctic reenforcement last night at 11:45 (I spiked to 10.7), I've been in single digits since 4:30p.m. on the 27th.  41 of the those hours have been below 5*.  I'll probalby add 24-36 hours to that 41.

2.6*

GYX hit 9.8 yesterday to blow the streak...

Archived