Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Maybe, but I always thought it was 07-08. I thought the running joke was that all he knew was epic winters up here.

'06-'07 wasn't that bad where he was...once you got up into NH, the season was salvaged...it wasn't good, but it was near average with a big time 2nd half. Even down in ORH the 2nd half was pretty darn good, we just set a record for the least snow through 1/31 first, lol....but picked up nearly 4 feet after that to make what was once a 38-3 blowout into a 41-27 "respectable" loss.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Never got to zero.

My car said -3F at 2:30pm when I pulled in the driveway. 

MVL looks like -2F for a couple hourly reports this afternoon, guess it could've hit 0F between hours.

They had a decent stretch of -18C this afternoon so my hunch is they reached at least 0F. That temp sensor seems flakey lately.

26 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They had a decent stretch of -18C this afternoon so my hunch is they reached at least 0F. That temp sensor seems flakey lately.

Yeah it's off so I'm not sure what to trust haha.  One hour it's 0F then it's -10F then there's missing data... definitely on the fritz.

Im curious, why do the model 2m temps seem too cold during the daytime?  Like say those Euro meteograms with the hi/lo...they had a high of like -8F today.  

Checked in at Jay Peak. Coldest temperature our car read was -16 right at the base of the ski resort about 45 minutes ago. Warmest we saw all day was zero just outside Ludlow. We drove up Rte 100 during the day today.  Looked like upper mountain was closed all day today due to wind chill. Maybe less winds tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's off so I'm not sure what to trust haha.  One hour it's 0F then it's -10F then there's missing data... definitely on the fritz.

Im curious, why do the model 2m temps seem too cold during the daytime?  Like say those Euro meteograms with the hi/lo...they had a high of like -8F today.  

All models struggle with 2m T to some extent...couldn’t tell you why the euro was that much too cold. Usually they struggle with the height of the mixed layer. It works the opposite at night with rad cooling. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

All models struggle with 2m T to some extent...couldn’t tell you why the euro was that much too cold. Usually they struggle with the height of the mixed layer. It works the opposite at night with rad cooling. 

When extreme airmasses come in with snow pack, the Euro often seems too cold for 2m temps in the day. Seems like that bias became notable several years ago and has stuck ever since.

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

When extreme airmasses come in with snow pack, the Euro often seems too cold for 2m temps in the day. Seems like that bias became notable several years ago and has stuck ever since.

And each model handles snow cover differently.

For a while the HRRR used to keep everything with snow cover below freezing, even in late March/early April.

Saw -16F as my coldest driving through town though friends coming from Morrisville said it was -18F to -20F on RT 100 out that way.

Rose to -10F at the base of the mountain and currently -5F at the summit.  Nice inversion.

Legit diamond dust falling with a dusting of snow overnight out of mostly clear skies.  More like dusting of ice crystals...very fine flaked stuff.

Archived