Newest Member
    Toothache
USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Should be one max just west of me, and another near GC

yeah I like that line of thinking. That max by GC too could be the most fun...I definitely can see some thundersnow in that band. Really steep lapse rates develop and good CSI saturated layer depth

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Got a sinking feeling with that amped RGEM run,  tonight's 0Z runs are huge. I want that primary to weaken and transfer off NJ not Cape Cod, right now I wouldn't make any snow predictions. A 4 hour delay and 50 miles west puts this into ratter territory for a whole lot of peeps

It’s been bad. Really bad. Save your horse 

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Got a sinking feeling with that amped RGEM run,  tonight's 0Z runs are huge. I want that primary to weaken and transfer off NJ not Cape Cod, right now I wouldn't make any snow predictions. A 4 hour delay and 50 miles west puts this into ratter territory for a whole lot of peeps

I still don't get the Synoptics of why it's trending westward but I guess the confluence behind the departing system is much weaker than it was progged a few days ago.  The fast more zonal flow I was sure would've ripped it east.  

I was wondering if this first system being a bit weaker and less of a big wound up cutter (like was shown 3 days ago with 50s to Montreal) plays a roll.  It's almost been like the colder and further southeast the "Grinch" storm went, the more amped up the second one got for some reason.  Still time for ticks either way.

With Christmas snow, I don't think many are obsessed with jackpotting (maybe except MehMike ;)) but just want a couple/few inches for aesthetics. Hopefully it can tick colder for you guys as I think we'd still get snow out west regardless.

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That is in the back of my mind.  Should still be advisory snows at least in my hood in any case, but a lot of sad Whos in Whoville should that scenario transpire.

Just now, mreaves said:

Not sure how that forecast will do but nice map. 

The hardest part is judging

1) where the heaviest band(s) develop and setup. It's a given that we will see them. From what I've looked at I'm fairly confident we do see banding into parts of CT

2) Where the cutoff is between the warmth and sufficient cold for snow. This will also play a big influence in the banding as well. I do think I could be a little high with the 3-6'' that far SE of Hartford though

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s good overall but I’d take 6-10 out of TOL county and change it 4-8” , and extend it down thru Waterbury . And no 6-10” NW CT. Just 4-8”

I was debating on going 4-8'' but after thinking I was confident enough in 2-3'' per hour rates for a good couple hours under the bands and that drove me to go 6-10''

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wizzy is couple drinks in, feeling saucey.

Thanks for reminding me I had two beers in the fridge (no I have not been drinking lol). Only planned on having these two I brought home from school last week

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I was debating on going 4-8'' but after thinking I was confident enough in 2-3'' per hour rates for a good couple hours under the bands and that drove me to go 6-10''

Thanks for reminding me I had two beers in the fridge (no I have not been drinking lol). Only planned on having these two I brought home from school last week

2 beers for you are scuba tanks.............:lol:

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s good overall but I’d take 6-10 out of TOL county and change it 4-8” , and extend it down thru Waterbury . And no 6-10” NW CT. Just 4-8”

That's a reasonable post.  I agree that on 4-8" being a max zone.  I think there will be some dynamic banding but the whole thing is moving along.  Maybe if ratios are good, and you get a fluff bomb someone pulls a 8-10" amount.  But I think it's moving too fast for a dense 8"+.

Remember the storm we had a few weeks back...it was the one I totally screwed up and underforecasted to hell. That is a really good example of what excellent frontogenesis can do for you. I think we are looking at similar situation with regards to the frontogenesis but we're also going to have other factors on hand as well. I know the speed factor is different but when you have a 130+ knot 500mb MLJ streak rounding the base of a trough magical things happen with regards to mid-level dynamics and that can't be ignored. I don't think at least 2'' per hour rates are unreasonable for a 2-3 hour period. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's a reasonable post.  I agree that on 4-8" being a max zone.  I think there will be some dynamic banding but the whole thing is moving along.  Maybe if ratios are good, and you get a fluff bomb someone pulls a 8-10" amount.  But I think it's moving too fast for a dense 8"+.

I think you will pound for awhile.

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

In EMA, N&W of 495 looks solid for warning snows. Ray looks to be on the dividing line. I’d go 5-6” there right now. 

The MLs come close to torching inside 128 to BOS.  BLs likely torch within a few miles of the water too. I could see Woburn snag 4-5” and Somerville struggle for 1-2”. 

Sounds like worst case scenario here.

Don't buy that yet.

Archived