joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, yoda said:

12z UKIE has a weak 1015mb SLP in W NC at 120

Yeah, this might be the best look of any of the globals for snow.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the main difference between the GFS and GGEM is that the GFS holds back some southern energy, and that's what gives us snow.  Looks like the UKIE might be doing something similar.

QARWYTI.png

12 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

dry pattern

Models are trending toward -PNA after block cuts off north. 

And I’m trending towards my weight goal every morning after I go potty. 

Sorry but there ARE enough signals to suggest that dry is not a trend. Yes we may  be variable but enough evidence to support an active pattern is more likely. Let’s just get the cold here, then we can figure out how to keep it. 

Nut

11 hours ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

I think when the Stratosphere is warm we have a lot of precip

11 hours ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

For some reason it seems like a wet pattern

18 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

dry pattern

Models are trending toward -PNA after block cuts off north. 

Ok, this is getting old real quick.  If this isn't a clear sign you just want to troll then I don't know what to tell you.  Every 6 hours its a different Chuck making posts

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Doesnt ooze "huge" potential, but active is fine IMO.

Nothing has shown any atlantic help so progressive pattern it is. I don't think suppression will be a problem in general. It's lack of blocking so anything that amps will have a fairly easy time cutting west of us...into a cold dome of HP...foot of ice 

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Top analog year I can find is DJF 13-14. Jan 94 is close but this mean plot looks a heck of a lot like the GEFS 5 day mean coming up

pjBCNty.jpg

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.png

Interestingly enough the pattern for the 94 winter established itself during Christmas week 93. Of course we know it locked in. Question is how long can we lock this current one coming up. A solid 3 week run would be excellent. 

2 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Interestingly enough the pattern for the 94 winter established itself during Christmas week 93. Of course we know it locked in. Question is how long can we lock this current one coming up. A solid 3 week run would be excellent. 

It's a good question. EPO ridges aren't exactly the most stable feature. They can come on strong and break down just as fast. This one looks like the real deal but it's still pretty far out in time. The EPS and GEFS both close off the ridge N of AK at the end of their runs. Agree about a 3 week run. That would be pretty awesome. Maybe it rolls over into a -AO. So far this year we are winning the pac and losing the atl battles. Gotta win one to stand any chance. So far so good. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nothing has shown any atlantic help so progressive pattern it is. I don't think suppression will be a problem in general. It's lack of blocking so anything that amps will have a fairly easy time cutting west of us...into a cold dome of HP...foot of ice 

Op run shows exactly your worries with a couple vorts trying to cut.  Like i stated earlier, lets just get the cold here and see how the game changes once there.  

2m temp anomalies on GEFS suggest that whatever falls is frozen (or will freeze).  So at least we have that.  

For now, we need to pool all energy together to drum up this Christmas miracle....thats my focus...

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's a good question. EPO ridges aren't exactly the most stable feature. They can come on strong and break down just as fast. This one looks like the real deal but it's still pretty far out in time. The EPS and GEFS both close off the ridge N of AK at the end of their runs. Agree about a 3 week run. That would be pretty awesome. Maybe it rolls over into a -AO. So far this year we are winning the pac and losing the atl battles. Gotta win one to stand any chance. So far so good. 

Many seasonal analogs point to a warm period second week of Jan ( yeah, I know, what's new, thats called a Jan thaw) , but there are some Mets that go on to say winter is over at that point with a warm Feb., followed by a  torch March. 

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Top analog year I can find is DJF 13-14. Jan 94 is close but this mean plot looks a heck of a lot like the GEFS 5 day mean coming up

pjBCNty.jpg

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.png

Nice post. In the post I had a couple weeks ago, I noted that the position of the WAR plays a (big?) factor in these patterns. It helped us with our storm on the 9th and obviously helped us in 13-14. It looks farther east on the GEFS, but seems to want to retrograde back toward us in the last few days of the run. Perhaps not coincidently, that’s when the precip panels start to light up.

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Many seasonal analogs point to a warm period second week of Jan ( yeah, I know, what's new, thats called a Jan thaw) , but there are some Mets that go on to say winter is over at that point with a warm Feb., followed by a  torch March. 

Anything can happen but not sure what their basing it on. Past ninas that started wintery then flipped warm and stayed warm did so by xmas. Beyond that some of the best analogs to the current pattern had long duration cold periods. I'm sure there are good examples of flips warm too but the evidence certainly isn't stacked that way. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived