joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to expand on my previous post by wxusaf locked me out! lol

SE ridge and a +NAO is a fairly common winter pattern. Not all SE ridges are created equal because sometimes all of NA is warm anyways and even when fronts from through it's nothing but replacing warm air from the SE with modified pac maritime air. That type of setup is a complete disaster. The upcoming pattern does have a silver lining. The cold loading pattern in Canada is strong. There is going to be a lot of cold continental air dumping into the western 2/3rds of the conus. Full agreement there. Also, Se ridges are not static meaning fronts can penetrate (especially at our latitude) but progressive flow will keep the cool periods short and warm periods long on either side of fronts. 

IMHO- the biggest threat for winter wx coming up is cad/ice or pellets. Sure, if we can get a cold hp to press then snow enters the picture but you'll be hard pressed to find many snow analogs with the upcoming d9+ progs. Thankfully, ens guidance does progress the mean trough over the conus eastward over time but it's going to be a nerve wrenching process. I still feel pretty optimistic that the crappy stuff were looking at right now will be over before the month is done. Doesn't look very likely that it happens before Christmas though. Fasten your seatbelts. lol

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I was going to expand on my previous post by wxusaf locked me out! lol

SE ridge and a +NAO is a fairly common winter pattern. Not all SE ridges are created equal because sometimes all of NA is warm anyways and even when fronts from through it's nothing but replacing warm air from the SE with modified pac maritime air. That type of setup is a complete disaster. The upcoming pattern does have a silver lining. The cold loading pattern in Canada is strong. There is going to be a lot of cold continental air dumping into the western 2/3rds of the conus. Full agreement there. Also, Se ridges are not static meaning fronts can penetrate (especially at our latitude) but progressive flow will keep the cool periods short and warm periods long on either side of fronts. 

IMHO- the biggest threat for winter wx coming up is cad/ice or pellets. Sure, if we can get a cold hp to press then snow enters the picture but you'll be hard pressed to find many snow analogs with the upcoming d9+ progs. Thankfully, ens guidance does progress the mean trough over the conus eastward over time but it's going to be a nerve wrenching process. I still feel pretty optimistic that the crappy stuff were looking at right now will be over before the month is done. Doesn't look very likely that it happens before Christmas though. Fasten your seatbelts. lol

I just looked at the EPS meteograms on wx.graphics and even with that absolutely craptacular 500mb look, the few days around Xmas were actually slightly colder on the 0z run than the 12z yesterday and the predicted snow jumped also (and the high end jumped a bunch).  

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I just looked at the EPS meteograms on wx.graphics and even with that absolutely craptacular 500mb look, the few days around Xmas were actually slightly colder on the 0z run than the 12z yesterday and the predicted snow jumped also (and the high end jumped a bunch).  

All ens are doing that in the long range. I assume it's byproduct of strong + anoms east of the boundary and vice versa. It's pretty complicated figuring our sensible wx right now because of the all or none nature of the setup. The tell will be if the ens start pegging a date for the neg temp anomalies to settle in. 

Just spitballing but I'm starting to envision a step down process where cold comes in little blasts as the mean axis slowly shifts east before a final (probably cutter) pushes the boundary for good.

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

All ens are doing that in the long range. I assume it's byproduct of strong + anoms east of the boundary and vice versa. It's pretty complicated figuring our sensible wx right now because of the all or none nature of the setup. The tell will be if the ens start pegging a date for the neg temp anomalies to settle in. 

Just spitballing but I'm starting to envision a step down process where cold comes in little blasts as the mean axis slowly shifts east before a final (probably cutter) pushes the boundary for good.

These things tend to take way longer than expected.  That step down could take the rest of the month and then we lose another key ingredient like the EPO.  

Looking back at the super happy hour 18z GFS of yesterday, this was probably discussed, but the reason we were flying on a magical carpet ride of enjoyment on that run was most likely because the PV came to visit the northern parts of the US (MN/WI/MI).  This, in turn, pressed the cold air south and got the 540 line way south of us. 

If you take the GEFS and look at individual members, it looks like either we get shutout or we get slammed in terms of wintry weather. Basically none of them are in between.

My gut says shutout (maybe years of experience setting expectations low?) but something else keeps saying "Hey, snap out of it.....this year is different so far. We have been trending the right way with early systems and things have been working in our favor". Something is telling me even if this moderation period happens we are going to break out in a big way when it breaks.

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
34 minutes ago, Cobalt said:
If you take the GEFS and look at individual members, it looks like either we get shutout or we get slammed in terms of wintry weather. Basically none of them are in between.

My gut says shutout (maybe years of experience setting expectations low?) but something else keeps saying "Hey, snap out of it.....this year is different so far. We have been trending the right way with early systems and things have been working in our favor". Something is telling me even if this moderation period happens we are going to break out in a big way when it breaks.

Shutout is probably too strong of a word right but I agree with you. Many of us have been doing this routine for 10+ years here. We've seen the SER/+NAO many times before. It happens. I posted about this earlier but it does seem to be a typical "snap back" with the re-arrangement of the conus ridge/trough. We've had an eastern trough dominating in general since right around Thanksgiving. The intermountain west/southwest has been very warm and dry so far this cold season. This kind of stuff always evens out or at least catches up some. 

14 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Good sign we are seeing the closed low/trough getting ejected quicker out of the SW in the earlier part of the run?

Probably can't take away much from the op run in that regard. The progression is multiple troughs digging in the SW. They will eject but if they keep occurring it will keep pumping heights in the SE. We need a pattern shaker to come out of the southwest and establish a more permanent trough in the east. That's going to be a process. My guess anyways but I'll take any op run that ejects it all out of the SW and keeps it that way. lol

30 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Shutout is probably too strong of a word right but I agree with you. Many of us have been doing this routine for 10+ 40+ years here. We've seen the SER/+NAO many times before. It happens. I posted about this earlier but it does seem to be a typical "snap back" with the re-arrangement of the conus ridge/trough. We've had an eastern trough dominating in general since right around Thanksgiving. The intermountain west/southwest has been very warm and dry so far this cold season. This kind of stuff always evens out or at least catches up some. 

FIXED

Just now, WhiteoutWX said:

Yet another totally new solution...SW trough cuts off allowing northern stream wave to head east. It's a tightrope solution though. No way models are going to handle this many complex interactions with any accuracy at this range. 

Yeah looks way better this run. Also some ridging over Greenland.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived