joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't stress over the individual storm details in a pattern like this beyond 2-3 ahead. This a a very unusual narrow extreme block going up north of Alaska. Makes for different model solutions each model cycle until we get close enough. +400 to+450 meters north of Alaska is near record levels for late December.

eps_z500a_nh_96.png

HI RES NAM LOOKING BETTER HERE.

namconus_z500_vort_us_49.png12Z

namconus_z500_vort_us_51.png

SLP is out over the POLAR front / It will eventually be on the Arctic Boundary

namconus_ref_frzn_us_52.png

The ULL looks like the GFS / But the NAM is just wrong jumping the low too far east.

This is not a big system until you get to New England. But it should snow some on the coast and around the area for Christmas day , which does not happen very often.

But as you can see the NAM has improved and will take some time as the N stream energy will get sampled for another 2 days. Twice so far the N stream energy has been under modeled in the L/R and twice this year the models have worked the E/C S/W back towards the Arctic boundary.

I would continue to watch to see this improve. 

2 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Over a foot of snow on the 18z GFS for the coast with more inland

lol we might be coming back here early

Why is this getting pushed back more though?

Before it was supposed to be snowing Wednesday into Thursday

Looks like the Poconos will get the brunt of it and in no mood to shovel so will be coming back early

8 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The closest analogs to this so far may be a combination of 95-96 and 2010-11 without the -NAOs.  It could come down to if the colder anomalies begin shifting as they did in 10-11.  That may tell us if we see simply a January thaw or we flip warm and don’t go back 

That's why the 95-96 analog needs to be used with caution.  There could be a flip back but not as strong as that year too.

We got a lot of March events that winter haven't seen anything like that frequency since.

41 minutes ago, uncle W said:

1995-96 didn't have near 60 degrees the week before Christmas...it had just the opposite...8" of snow with cold...a 1995-96 type winter is not going to happen this year...or next...

Well that was extremely rare to get so much snow after a big thaw like that, but we're just looking for similarities for the first half of winter right now.

I'd be equally cautious about 2000-01 because that would have been a much snowier winter had March 2001 done what it was supposed to do.

3 hours ago, uncle W said:

1995-96 didn't have near 60 degrees the week before Christmas...it had just the opposite...8" of snow with cold...a 1995-96 type winter is not going to happen this year...or next...

3 hours ago, Paragon said:

Well that was extremely rare to get so much snow after a big thaw like that, but we're just looking for similarities for the first half of winter right now.

I'd be equally cautious about 2000-01 because that would have been a much snowier winter had March 2001 done what it was supposed to do.

Snowfall amounts seem like more of a wildcard than temps though.  Final totals never account for near-misses.

How does 2013-14 hold up as an analog?  I recall some warm days preceding Xmas, followed by an intense post-New Years MECS, and a see-saw -EPO-driven January that featured some especially cold pixie dust snowstorms.  ENSO-wise, I remember it starting neutral and stepping down Niña-ish as January progressed.  Decidedly +PDO is one major difference though....

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

Coastal crusher on the Euro over a week from now.  (Warning criteria for most of the subforum.)

Pattern looks ripe for a decent shot at either overturning snows or a coastal in the 28th-30th time frame.  

Rjay. We love this one. It looks like a long duration cold event.

850s - 10 the Boundary is between 10 and 15 and it snows for 24 hours.

Hate to yell snowstorm that early , but that's what we disco'd 2 days ago.

This is a MECS

I am happy Christmas is going to work out for many ,  but next weekend has all the ear marks man.

30 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Whenever models all consistently showing a big storm 7+ days out, it's likely going to happen. 

I'm not quite ready to sound the alarms for next week; its starting to get close, but all the big storms are seen way out by the models. The March superstorm of 93 was picked up 10+ days out.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

We are finally getting to the better MJO phases for snow that we were discussing earlier in the month. There is the strong -EPO and MJO 8 signal. The EPS is also indicating that we may get a brief -NAO dip a few days before the 30th to help things along. 

Hello. I wanted to get your opinion on the weeklies. Does the warm up in 3 weeks plus look like a reload or full pattern flip, or is it just too early to tell at this point?

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I saw the weeklies and it seems to match the idea of a relaxation or moderation around the 2nd week of January. But while the -EPO looks to back off for a while, there are hits in the weeklies of the -EPO trying to reload later in January or early in February. So I don't think that winter will be over in terms of snow for us even if we get a stronger temp rebound second week of Jan. But I think in terms of Arctic cold, the last week of December and first of January may be the coldest we see this winter. Any -EPO reload for later in the winter may not be able to reach the intensity we just saw in November and December. But remember how a little -EPO blocking last January and February went along way for snow even without much cold.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Way too early to expect any kind of run to run consistency. This run it loses the over-running and instead focuses on the coastal but mostly misses to the east

That is the threat with the end of next week storm, suppressed to our south and a miss south/OTS. A southern slider is certainly on the table here. That is the threat with this, not a cutter or runner or coastal hugger IMO. 

27 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

12Z GFS  mostly a miss here for the 30th., as greatest lift develops ESE of NYC.   We just get brushed on this run.

Given the forecast sharpening of the PNA ridge on the ensembles (excluding the 12z GEFS, which is not finished running), I believe something closer to the coast is more likely than this solution. Still, as there's a lot of time between now and the forecast event, one can't fully dismiss the 12z GFS solution.

Archived