Newest Member
    joxey
December Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I wonder if this will trend more amplified as we get closer to the event.....

:rolleyes:

Everything else has this winter.  

The ensemble mean snows for 30 hours.

Assume an undermodeled WAR continues and this is more towards the BM

Synoptically a high end event is likely in your not to distant future.

2 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

The precip panels on are SV advertise a long duration event.

This will go off from the M/A to Maine.

This will get juicy like I said I think it's a high end event 

I was being sarcastic.    Huge storm signal at this range.  Long duration on the mean.  

19 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

The ensemble mean snows for 30 hours.

Assume an undermodeled WAR continues and this is more towards the BM

Synoptically a high end event is likely in your not to distant future.

funny how some people were obsessively worried about the WAR lol

Three rules come to mind:

1) Axis of heaviest snow about 150-200 miles NW of 850 mb low.

2) NYC metro MECS/HECS are typically modeled in medium range as near misses or SECS, with subtle north shift in precip as event nears in 48-72hrs out. Southern energy and robust moisture feed is under-modeled.

3) Climo: If NWP is consistently showing 12-24 in in Richmond 4/5/6 days out, high chance the heaviest of QPF will shift north in more climatoligucallly prone areas in time.

11 minutes ago, Enigma said:

2) NYC metro MECS/HECS are typically modeled in medium range as near misses or SECS, with subtle north shift in precip as event nears in 48-72hrs out. Southern energy and robust moisture feed is under-modeled.

3) Climo: If NWP is consistently showing 12-24 in in Richmond 4/5/6 days out, high chance the heaviest of QPF will shift north in more climatoligucallly prone areas in time.

Could not agree more. If you go back to all the "big ones" they pretty much have one thing in common. They are initially labeled  as southern sliders or near misses only to creep NW over time. You see it a lot of the time in the mid range where the models can even lose the storm altogether. Another issue what I think is happening which some posters have already stated is that the models are having a problem in which wave to hone in on. Until then expect a lot of jubilation and cliff jumping for a while longer as each model run comes out.

30 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Wasn't '96 modeled to be suppressed but trended north towards start time? 

11 minutes ago, Newman said:

Wasn't '96 modeled to be suppressed but trended north towards start time? 

Euro first showed Jan 1996 about 8 days out. Euro never lost the storm but suppressed it about 5-6 days out with initial NWS forecast as 6-12 in ( including WSW).

43 minutes ago, uncle W said:

these situations where the primary stays intact to far north it's bad for the coast...big storms like Dec 1960 had a primary die fast and the hand off to the coastal was east of Virginia...

the bad situation happened a lot in the 80s, Feb 07 was sort of a half/half situation, the primary died out a bit quicker than expected and the arctic air didn't retreat and we stayed cold enough for all frozen.  Same happened in March 07

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

Euro first showed Jan 1996 about 8 days out. Euro never lost the storm but suppressed it about 5-6 days out with initial NWS forecast as 6-12 in ( including WSW).

PD2 was also modeled suppressed only to have BOS break there all time single storm snow record at 27”. 

I really like we’re we stand right now. All the players are on the field. Anyone talking in absolutes is bound to get burned

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

The Euro was disjointed.  Northern stream needs to dive in faster.   A strong storm ots this run but there's still some snow in the area.  Prob a few inches but it's not from the main low.  Maybe from an IVT.

Details that will take a few days to be worked out-I’m not concerned yet. The overall pattern to me looks primed for at least a good swing at something. 

Archived