Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

10 hours ago, Rjay said:

Coastal crusher on the Euro over a week from now.  (Warning criteria for most of the subforum.)

Pattern looks ripe for a decent shot at either overturning snows or a coastal in the 28th-30th time frame.  

It's going to screw up New Years Eve but good lol

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Catskills get crushed.

I think the system impacts a very large area

Yeah general idea seems to be the jackpot zone will be Catskills to Poconos and we will all do well.

Nevermind these off OP runs in between that get people down, like at Ens!

21 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Given the forecast sharpening of the PNA ridge on the ensembles (excluding the 12z GEFS, which is not finished running), I believe something closer to the coast is more likely than this solution. Still, as there's a lot of time between now and the forecast event, one can't fully dismiss the 12z GFS solution.

Don , I ignore  anything that refuses to take a center off OBX to Nova Scotia . When you connect the heights from the Baja to Beijing what do think the height falls will look like on the E/C.

Also look at that block in the Arctic / It is a Classic E/C snowstorm set up and probably a major one.

Too many in here will hang on OP run to OP run and miss what this is , 7 days ago Christmas was 60 with rain. 

I think by the time we get within 3 days everyone will see it. 

gfs_z500a_nhem_28.png

32 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Given the forecast sharpening of the PNA ridge on the ensembles (excluding the 12z GEFS, which is not finished running), I believe something closer to the coast is more likely than this solution. Still, as there's a lot of time between now and the forecast event, one can't fully dismiss the 12z GFS solution.

Don more of a danger of mixing at the coast than suppression?

15 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Don , I ignore  anything that refuses to take a center off OBX to Nova Scotia . When you connect the heights from the Baja to Beijing what do think the height falls will look like on the E/C.

Also look at that block in the Arctic / It is a Classic E/C snowstorm set up and probably a major one.

Too many in here will hang on OP run to OP run and miss what this is , 7 days ago Christmas was 60 with rain. 

gfs_z500a_nhem_28.png

I dont know what the issue is because this seems to happen with EVERY storm.

16 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

gfs_z500a_nhem_28.png

I agree with you, PB. I think the pattern is evolving toward one that will be conducive for a moderate to possibly significant snowstorm toward the end of December. I'm discounting both the 12z GFS and the 12z GEFS (lack of continuity with earlier runs and inconsistent with outcomes more typical with the evolving pattern). I continue to like the idea of a sharper PNA ridge and sharper trough in the East. We'll see where things stand in coming days, but right now I'm not dissuaded from my thinking by this morning's GFS/GEFS.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I dont know what the issue is because this seems to happen with EVERY storm.

My hypothesis is that there may be a bias correction in the GFS in the middle part of its range that tends to promote discontinuity between its longer-range ideas and then its shorter-range ideas (the seeming phenomenon where storms are "lost" in the mid-range only to be brought back later). I'm not sure about that, but it is a hypothesis. It will be interesting to see if the ECMWF reasonably maintains its continuity with its 0z run.

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Don more of a danger of mixing at the coast than suppression?

Perhaps. But enough very cold air will be nearby to be tapped, so a primarily snow event from at least central NJ northward seems more likely than a mainly liquid event. The difference between the 6z and 12z run of the GFS is very large. That kind of dramatic departure often suggests a run that is an outlier. I'm looking forward to the 12z ECMWF.

6 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Look at the pattern, strong arctic high pressure pressing down, a tropospheric polar vortex in southern Canada, this is a suppression/southern slider threat, not a cutter or hugger threat

The TPV is weak and elongated.  You have an epo block migrating into the western NAO region.  If this doesn't scream big potential to you then idk what will.

59 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

gfs_z500a_nhem_28.png

Agree with suppression concerns over OTS,

Regardless of what surface plots may show this far out if you start with the 500 and work your way down you can see there is no room for anything to cut in that pattern.

12 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Agree with suppression concerns over OTS,

Regardless of what surface plots may show this far out if you start with the 500 and work your way down you can see there is no room for anything to cut in that pattern.

This is definitely a pattern that can produce something nice. Whenever you have higher heights over NE Canada and a 50-50 low with a deepening trough over the Midwest/TN Valley, we can put some major points on the board.  

4 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

12Z Euro has 2-3" QPF w/ that storm...turns to rain in the middle but mostly snow as modeled in the city. 

Beast storm verbatim.  It phases to the point where NYC would see more snow than Boston.  It keeps getting pushed back but that’s because the EURO is keying on the second piece of energy.  The storm signal is still there and that’s what matters at this juncture 

Archived