Newest Member
    joxey
December Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

not sure how looking at "trends" on the GFS could even be taken seriously at this point...Its jumped hundred of miles with just 6 runs...euro moved the Rain line 20 miles south, and has held fast

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh96_trend.gif

Just when I gave the GFS credit after I saw the NAM, it did this. SMH

Just now, snowman19 said:

Just when I gave the GFS credit after I saw the NAM, it did this. SMH

The NAM has gotten significantly better the last 12-18 months beyond 36-48 hours.  I think it may have been upgraded in the fall of 16 at some point.  It will rarelt amp things up anymore but it still can totally miss less dynamic setups at that range 

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The gfs wasn't far off from delivering a significant snow event. It moved toward the Euro, should be interesting to see what the Euro does now.

Late bloomer right now, SNE will do very well with this. 

New England may do well, especially interior central and northern New England but this is no more than a very light 1-3 inch event for our area. It never was anything more

8 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

New England may do well, especially interior central and northern New England but this is no more than a very light 1-3 inch event for our area. It never was anything more

Nobody is looking for 10 feet on Christmas , I’ll take 1-2 inches and run with it.

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

We don't know that for sure yet 

Considering it was forecast to be in 60s several days ago and the significant jump on the gfs, nothing is set in stone. 

I'd risk a slider right now for the second storm, better than a clear cutter, but given the MJO forecast I'd be shocked if we didn't get at least a SECS out of that.

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Considering it was forecast to be in 60s several days ago and the significant jump on the gfs, nothing is set in stone. 

I'd risk a slider right now for the second storm, better than a clear cutter, but given the MJO forecast I'd be shocked if we didn't get at least a SECS out of that.

The tendency early on this winter has been to go weaker with systems.  Not as in trend weaker per say but just not to have big amped up deep lows which is more classic of a La Niña anyway but I would feel better about this at least not over phasing as the seasonal trend has so far shown 

1 minute ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

C'mon you again? There's no denying the pattern looks ripe for a major event next weekend. All the ensembles are showing it, not just some random OP run. Don't be a grinch.:grinch:

he's a good luck charm...ever since he's been here snowfall is above average despite the warmth the last two winters...we are above average this year so far and will continue to be...

Just now, snowman19 said:

Famous last words

You realize all these calls are made with a lot of work behind them right ? 

2 snow calls a week out on the coast this month while you and others were swearing off a flake 3 days earlier  . A call for a white Christmas from last Friday when the models had a big S/E ridge , we knew was wrong , but kept reading in here how Christmas would be 60 / brown / dry.

There should come a point in here that you try and learn how we see these things and not just look at numerical guidance. 

7 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
55 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Coastal snowstorm next weekend on the cmc

No overrunning

Pure coastal with the low near the bm

The CMC ownes me thousands of inches of snow. Just saying...

If that slight -NAO dip verifies, then it would help our cause. Even without it, there should be a snow event just due to the favorable -EPO and MJO.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

If that slight -NAO dip verifies, then it would help our cause. Even without it, there should be a snow event just due to the favorable -EPO and MJO.

Absolutely. Both will stick the tough in the east in the means. So nothing cuts and because the WESTERN ridge push poleward the height falls will come all the way the E/C

gfs_z500a_namer_34.png

5 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Absolutely. Both will stick the tough in the east in the means. So nothing cuts and because the WESTERN ridge push poleward the height falls will come all the way the E/C

The latest JMA this morning continues the theme of cold and snow chances week 1-2. It's going to the relaxation idea weeks 3-4 like the EPS seasonal and weeklies have been showing for a while.

Archived