Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If this were to verify, then it will be one of the most impressive cold waves I'll have experienced in my 30 years on this Earth, especially considering the lack of deep snow cover.  Events like this usually lead to a wealth of burst pipes, sewer lines and chimney/furnace fires.  

Yeah...thank God for that!

One thing I've learned in the past week or so is that we have a lot of snow lovers here in the MA but not a lot of winter lovers. I think my forecast temps through the next week are pretty darn awesome.

Today  20/24

Thursday   13/22

Friday   14/30

Saturday   21/28

Sunday   16/24

Monday   14/23

Tuesday   13/25

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

One thing I've learned in the past week or so is that we have a lot of snow lovers here in the MA but not a lot of winter lovers. I think my forecast temps through the next week are pretty darn awesome.

Today  20/24

Thursday   13/22

Friday   14/30

Saturday   21/28

Sunday   16/24

Monday   14/23

Tuesday   13/25

That's because snow is awesome and cold isn't...unless there's snow.

Snow trumps cold. Snow makes cold neat-o.

42 minutes ago, 87storms said:

it's allowed to be cold and not snow. come on, people, get it together. it's been warm for almost 2 years here and we're finally in a cold pattern. give it a chance to play out a couple weeks.

Strongly agree.  Much-below normal temps have become so rare that I am going to enjoy it as much as possible. 

At MRB in 2017, there have been 221 above-normal days and only 121 below.  What's worse, 81 days have been at least +10 vs. only 14 that were -10.  And 13 days exceeded 20 degrees above normal.  There were no comparable below-normal departures.

The weenies are restless, it was terrific pattern so they said.

Now t looks like our snow chances are mostly dead.

How can that be,  this hobby is engendering strife.

without snow,  there is a hole in my winter life.

The weenies are restless,  they're craving some snow

The models once showed it but now say no.

We're left with a clipper,  you no how they deliver

Sometimes a dusting with a back end cold shiver.

The weenies are restless with all the storm so suppressed

Ji almost cancelled winter and is getting depressed.

The pattern may relax in around 10 days or so,

and all this week's cold offers only flurries and a dusting of snow

The weenies are restless,  no mega DC noreaster is on the forecast plate.

Except every 10 years or so, that's our unfortunate fate.

But we can take solace in that we have each other.

and will be always rooting for snow for one another. 

Obviously I'm a tad bored with the weather.

Todays posts all around are GREAT. All threads. This is a very enjoyable place to frequent. Funny as well. Keep up the great work and I do love the friendly debates. Saw snow from Tysons thru Haymarket 11 thru 2 or so. Nice flurries. If it snows, it snows. If not, embrace the cold and model runs!! 

I'm sorry, did it snow last year? Snow before our true "snow season" is basically extra snow. We could easily slip into a good pattern late Jan-Early Feb, or even a pattern where we fluke a few medium events. This year has gotten off to a great start. It's already proven something that wasn't proven last year, which is that there can be sustained cold in multiple waves, not just a couple days of cold. I remain very hopeful for the next 3 months for snow. 

11 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I'm sorry, did it snow last year? Snow before our true "snow season" is basically extra snow. We could easily slip into a good pattern late Jan-Early Feb, or even a pattern where we fluke a few medium events. This year has gotten off to a great start. It's already proven something that wasn't proven last year, which is that there can be sustained cold in multiple waves, not just a couple days of cold. I remain very hopeful for the next 3 months for snow. 

Optimism is a good trait; however, delusion is not.  It has not been a great start.  A significant portion of the region is at climo for snow.  That is average.  This December, for all the hyperbole about epic patterns and cold, is still running AN (and below normal snow for some - Ahem!)  We may sneak BN after these upcoming cold days, but it's time for some realism here; for all the bluster, this has been an "average" December.  If people are happy with it, that's only because the last several Decembers have stunk so badly.

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Gotta toot my own horn!

http://brilliantstream.com/2017/12/stumptown-ales-wins-title/

This beer stuff is way more fun than real work.

I'm almost done with the attorney gig.

Toot away.  You have a great spot.  Thoroughly enjoyed my visit; that coffee/chocolate stout is awesome.  Will be back through there in a couple of weeks (on my way to Canaan); looking forward to enjoying another glass (or 3....).

Just now, EastCoast NPZ said:

Optimism is a good trait; however, delusion is not.  It has not been a great start.  A significant portion of the region is at climo for snow.  That is average.  This December, for all the hyperbole about epic patterns and cold, is still running AN (and below normal snow for some - Ahem!)  We may sneak BN after these upcoming cold days, but it's time for some realism here; for all the bluster, this has been an "average" December.  If people are happy with it, that's only because the last several Decembers have stunk so badly.

I'm saying in comparison to the past 3 Decembers

8 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

But we usually don't get to the average as the median is below the mean.   I bet only about a 1/3 of our winters have above average snowfall though I haven't looked it up. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived