Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

If that occurred, that would make all the peeps saying that big dogs aren’t likely in this set up, look like they don’t know what they are talking about??????     

Who said we can’t get a big storm? The argument has just been that it’ll be a progressive pattern. But jesus, it’s still a week away. 

I know it’s probably unlikely that it happens,  but it just would be ironic if Eastern areas got 12-18 inches, after all the talk about how large storms aren’t favored in this type of set up....progressive or not.     We’ve all been doing quite well over the last few years with progressive fast moving systems, and this would be no different.   

A long way away, and not saying it happens at all, but it’s just funny how the model kind of found a way to give a nice big dump on a lot of the area...

Ill take my 6-8 and run on that depiction. 

47 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

BOX is playing conservative (wisely) at this point

Friday onward...

Potential coastal storm Friday into Saturday. Seemingly quick moving
as an open wave, skirting S/E New England especially, rain/snow mix
possible, dependence on timing passage, daytime or nocturnal. Model
forecast guidance continues to waffle, including the preferred EC /
UKmet, a low confidence forecast. Additional coastal storms are
possible, however specifics are highly uncertain given perturbations
in the flow that are poorly forecast so far out in time. Little to
now confidence from Saturday onward

Sipprell goes balls to wall on every other wx event all year.. calls every cold front sweeping.. and then decides to down play a near certainty. Don’t get it

27 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I know it’s probably unlikely that it happens,  but it just would be ironic if Eastern areas got 12-18 inches, after all the talk about how large storms aren’t favored in this type of set up....progressive or not.     We’ve all been doing quite well over the last few years with progressive fast moving systems, and this would be no different.   

A long way away, and not saying it happens at all, but it’s just funny how the model kind of found a way to give a nice big dump on a lot of the area...

Ill take my 6-8 and run on that depiction. 

I'd still lean away from a big system (>12" widespread). Obviously they can still happen in this pattern if the ducks line up right but we have a tight gradient and no big blocks downstream. We have pseudo blocks from time to time but with a fast gradient like that I would typically want to see something more substantial to slow things down. 

That doesn't mean a system won't have isolated high amounts. Inverted troughs are notorious for hitting a narrow area very hard. 

There’s been a good trend of digging the trough further se. There’s a number of lobes that dive into the backside when the midweek cutter moves into hudson bay. I would imagine it’s pretty hard for models to figure out what those lobes do, when do they break off and dive and how far and do what with it. Winter threat is real though. 

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Trough is more progressive this run for the fri southern sw, fwiw. 

That should keep it further east this run, No one wants a hr 120 jack, Hanging back a lot of moisture so looks to be going for the IVT again this run as H5 low tracks nnw of the region.

Just waking up now (being 22 FTW) and got to say that 6z run of GFS is incredible to me. 

Even 12z GFS is off to a decent start to get plenty of snowless folks on the board. Despite being weaker and further east (so far), still a nice trend toward more snowy pattern comparing to couple days ago.

Same thing year after year, those saying big storms can't happen then they do, those saying no qpf then they get 1 plus, those saying rain then they get smoked , those claiming every threat is a blizzard then they smoke cirrus. Best is those who claim x,y,z and then post well I have not looked at anything. Fact is any scenario is possible in ANY 5 to 10 day pattern. But hey let's do this 

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Same thing year after year, those saying big storms can't happen then they do, those saying no qpf then they get 1 plus, those saying rain then they get smoked , those claiming every threat is a blizzard then they smoke cirrus. Best is those who claim x,y,z and then post well I have not looked at anything. Fact is any scenario is possible in ANY 5 to 10 day pattern. But hey let's do this 

Who said a big storm can't happen?

I didn't see any absolutes. 

Steve, just because I haven't looked at anything doesn't mean I can't read. The flow is fast...blockbuster events are not favored.

Sure, it can still happen.....and I actually started looking last night, anyway.

18 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Just waking up now (being 22 FTW) and got to say that 6z run of GFS is incredible to me. 

Even 12z GFS is off to a decent start to get plenty of snowless folks on the board. Despite being weaker and further east (so far), still a nice trend toward more snowy pattern comparing to couple days ago.

I'm cheering you on this year. It's gotta be wild growing up in the SE and then getting thrown into New England. May the coastal front be ever in your favor.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I'm cheering you on this year. It's gotta be wild growing up in the SE and then getting thrown into New England. May the coastal front be ever in your favor.

Wait until he gets his first taste of +SN 10 miles to his NW while he is +RN and 33°F.....................:lol:

Just now, dendrite said:

Yea I would like to see a true blizzard for him, a 50 mph super Windex super squall, Arctic wolves night with high winds and burst of squalls then a 20+ below night to get a great experience.  Welcome Blue may your balls not be .lol

Archived