Newest Member
    Dano62
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AcePuppy said:

I have a lot of friends I went to high school with that still live down there, mostly in Palm Beach and Broward, but they all live near the coast. They are leaving thankfully though.

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Agree. I pointed that out to hammer your point home, the vast majority of members are at or west of MIA

Smart move.

3 minutes ago, AcePuppy said:

This is true, but I guess it all depends when people start to get in the mode of thinking it's time to leave.

My father left Naples at 2 am and got to Macon, GA around 1:30 pm. He said traffic was fine until about Gainesville, when it became bumper to bumper. Right now by Macon hes crawling north. 

18 minutes ago, Wild Weather Monger said:

Would have thought that the EURO track would have less impact inland in Georgia than the GFS coast hugger run.  Perhaps not?

The infrastructure damage to utility lines is going to be immense.   Millions without power maybe for many days.  Cellular communication will start to fold the day after  as generators run out of fuel and bandwidth gets squeezed.

Hurricane Irma is getting close to Grand Turk Island (Turks and Caicos.) the eye is centered near 71W, 21N, and that is close to 21°28′20″N 71°08′20″W , the coordinates of Grand Turk. It's difficult to even see Grand Turk on satellite images-- Caicos largest island shows up at 71.8W, 21.8N.

8 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

just beautiful on visible the past few frames, going to be a massive storm as it nears cuba. and it is still slightly ne of the forecast track.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/storm.php?&basin=atlantic&sname=11L&invest=NO&zoom=4&img=1&vars=11111000000000000000000&loop=0

This is another good resource if you want a close up -

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=goes-16/mesoscale_01_band_02_sector_01&width=1000&height=1000&number_of_images_to_display=120&loop_speed_ms=80

38 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

If people are able to stay up late the roads should be far less busy overnight.  People like to do things during the daytime. 

I'm waiting for the 0z EPS before I pull the trigger.  If the mean maintains or shifts West from 12z, I'm out. Destination is two hours north, which will also likely get nailed but it won't be under water if there is more westward trending.  Assuming roads will be reasonable at 4am.  They will be an absolute nightmare Friday and Saturday once the general public sees the model trends translated to mainstream and social media.  Did a sample around downtown last hour and nobody had a clue about the shifts.

Hurricane Irma is getting close to Grand Turk Island (Turks and Caicos.) the eye is centered near 71W, 21N, and that is close to 21°28′20″N 71°08′20″W , the coordinates of Grand Turk. It's difficult to even see Grand Turk on satellite images-- Caicos largest island shows up at 71.8W, 21.8N.

Yeah they are going to get a shellacking but everyone is weenieing out over Florida so it's kinda get lost in the shuffle. The smaller island is only 15-20ft asl so that's a big problem for those folks.

6 minutes ago, Jfreebird said:

it is a zoom in for the 12z euro ensembles through 240 hrs thats why it says the 9/17 it took another screenshot to provide more info and brought it back to just after landfall

cat3.jpg

As others have said, don't put a lot of stock in the model intensities, especially when it's not shown to be moving over land.  

According to the Euro wind shear should stay manageable until Irma hits the Straights of Florida at which point its interaction with the trough should start causing some mid and deep layer shear, but it does appear there is a chance Irma could cross the strait without getting battered too much while at the same time getting an upper level divergence boost from the jet streak. It's a pretty narrow window of time in which that would happen, if it happens at all, but it could get timed well enough to be a serious problem. We'll see how this plays out.

v0M3B3c.png

5 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Oddly the island reported 18 kt winds an hour ago, the most recent ob. http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/dominican-republic-haiti.php?icao=MBGT

Archived