Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I'm starting to think it's more likely a west shift is more likely which would help but then somewhere like Naples or Fort Myers may be in trouble.  A west shift though could get this over Cuba for a time and maybe knock it down.   Now sure how much though 

What guidance are you using to make this decision, so that I may look at it as well? Trying to learn as much as I can. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I have followed tropical meteorologist my whole life and have chased several hurricanes.  The last one being Katrina. I have said to my friends my whole life (Im 60)  that a sub 925mb hurricane coming in just south of Miami and moving due north along the whole Gold Coast and beyond,  with the eye along the coast or 5-10 miles west would be the most devastating hurricane disaster the country could ever have.  I always consider the odds of that happening of perhaps once in 500 years.  Other than a Richter Scale 9 earthquake or an atomic bomb I can't think of a worse scenario.  Up until this afternoons Euro and GFS run I didn't think it would happen.  It still probably will not work out quite this way.  I just can't wrap my head around that 18Z GFS track.  Just move it back east 50 miles and keep the coast on the left side of the eye.....

We are in the Euro's and GFS's wheelhouse now, so I would think that track deviations should be minor from this point on until landfall in S FL.

4 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Joe Bastardi‏Verified account @BigJoeBastardi  6h6 hours ago

Our forecast yesterday MORNING BEFORE NHC was near Miami. Did not change it this am. I'm In private sector? What is my reason?

joe.jpg

Might want to reevaluate that, especially post landfall.

2 minutes ago, forecasterjack said:

12Z ECMWF shows Irma's hurricane force wind gusts spanning the entire width of Florida on Sunday. https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/814-w-261-n/gusts-3h-mph/20170910-1800z.html 

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017090712_78_8968_379.png

I guess that track would still be very bad but not quite catastrophic due to the east eyewall going just west of the urban S FL corridor and the west coast still being on the left side of the eye. The eye itself would go over the Everglades and otherwise sparsely populated areas. But "not catastrophic" would still be 100+ mph onshore gusts from MIA to PBI. And further west then puts Tampa and Ft Myers under the gun. 

11 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

The 18Z GEFS keeps Irma out of Cuba. It is a tick west of the 12Z run in regard to LF in FL.

0DRAtdY.png

The mean track looks slightly less severe for MIA proper, and makes me more nervous for TB if further shifts materialize.  Self interests aside, TBH I'd rather it hit the Gulf Coast than what the 18z GFS showed.

Just now, jm1220 said:

I guess that track would still be very bad but not quite catastrophic due to the east eyewall going just west of the urban S FL corridor and the west coast still being on the left side of the eye. The eye itself would go over the Everglades and otherwise sparsely populated areas. But "not catastrophic" would still be 100+ mph onshore gusts from MIA to PBI. And further west then puts Tampa and Ft Myers under the gun. 

yeah you're right maybe not quite as bad as a landfall 10mi SW of Miami, but still. If that's looking like a "good" scenario, something's really really wrong. 

Also definitely a west tick on the last few frames as well as an expansion west of the CDO and outflow. Some models hinted at a bend back west north of Hispaniola, maybe this is it. And if that's the case, a track east of FL becomes much less likely. A track up the west coast of FL is still in the realm of possibility. 

4 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

The mean track looks slightly less severe for MIA proper, and makes me more nervous for TB if further shifts materialize.  Self interests aside, TBH I'd rather it hit the Gulf Coast than what the 18z GFS showed.

Very misleading looking at that for other than the track, unless one believes a ~980 mb MSLP with winds of less than 50 kt.

Archived