Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cold Miser

AC: When do you Uninstall?

AC: When do you Uninstall?   45 members have voted

1. 1. When did you un-install air conditioning or are planning to?

• August
    • September - 1st half
    • September - 2nd half
    • October - 1st half
    • October - 2nd half
    • November
    • Never because I don't use a.c.
    • Never because I have central a.c.
    • Other (describe in comments)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

72 posts in this topic

usually mid_October. my upstairs is an oven and retains heat quite nicely. without a/c i can't sleep well, even with a window fan.

Even down here in NYC, I'm getting pretty close. It's just preventing ventilation at this point as it uses up the one window. With nights dipping into the 50s/low 60s in the Bronx and days only in the mid 70s, it's become sort of unnecessary. I'm just worried about the 1-3 inevitably scorching hot days when school begins in September. 

Central AC baby.   Have not used it that much this summer compared to some of our torch summers.  I'm wondering if I've turned it off for the last time this season.

I switched windows yesterday in order I put a window fan that can help circulate through my entire apartment.

Ill keep it in probably until sometime in October. I'm sure we'll get a random hot day or two anyway 

On 8/27/2017 at 2:15 PM, ice1972 said:

Nobember.....usually Thanksgiving weekend the AC's come out and the Xmas decs go up.....lol 

That's pretty late for CT.
You're not using it up to that point are you?

45 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

That's pretty late for CT.
You're not using it up to that point are you?

Usually not but our upstairs warms quickly even when the temp isn't that bad....I mean in early Nov you can get 75 maybe 80....one Halloween we trick or treated at 7pm it was 70.....so I leave them in late to just be 100% sure the warm stuff is gone.....I install them in late March lol

Might uninstall this weekend with the stretch of cool to mild weather in the long range forecast.  We usually don't need AC by mid September even if it's hot outside during the day, since it cools off nicely in the evening an a couple of window fans are more than enough as long as the DP isn't 70+.

Uninstalled Sunday. 

Didn't use them as much as last year.  Average power consumption for the 60 days between mid June through mid August was 25% lower in 2017 than in 2016.  Also, this summer had the lowest power consumption during that time frame than any summer in the last 10 years we've been living in this house.  (although in the interest of full disclosure, we switched from central air (last run in 2015) to 2 window units in 2016.

17 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Nope

You feel for the uninstalled. I mean really really feel. A lot of sleeplesss nights last week thru end of month and/or emergency sheet removal surgeries 

1 person likes this

When I figure I'm more likely to notice a cold draft coming from the window with the AC than actually need to run the AC, I'll take it out.

1 person likes this

On 9/16/2017 at 9:48 PM, Juliancolton said:

I can't lie, I'm glad to still have AC at my disposal these past couple nights. 

I just posted something similar in 'our' thread, I don't mind the warmth at this point but I'm sick of these dews.

1 person likes this

In the well insulated apartment that I live in I have not needed it all summer. A few sticky days, but none the less I have not had to put the window unit in.

We haven't had a low higher than 65F since August.  A window fan is all that has been needed these last couple of nights at our house.

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Next week....once Maria passes, fall begins.

I never trust September enough to uninstall the AC....its every bit as folly as storing away the snow shovels in March.

Yep. I usually wait until October. I think some consider it some sort of weenie measuring stick to not have A/C or uninstall after July 4th..but I don't care if I lived at 60N. Whatever it takes to be comfortable.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yep. I usually wait until October. I think some consider it some sort of weenie measuring stick to not have A/C or uninstall after July 4th..but I don't care if I lived at 60N. Whatever it takes to be comfortable.

The uninstalled's are an odd bunch for sure

have central, but yeah i run it whenever its muggy. the maritime environment around here ruins everything if you leave the windows open with all the fog we get especially this time of year.

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The uninstalled's are an odd bunch for sure

I have never had to use my ac past mid-September. NEVER.  

...And I have the most poorly insulated house on the planet (this is a scientific fact), with southern and western sun beating on it all day long.