joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Euro looks good to rip Jose into SNE day 10

NO...   I just went through 10 days of model watching with Irma.  Not going to do another 10 days.  Probably will tease us for 9 and then on day 10 will be a whiff OTS.  At this rate with the tropics its keeping me busy till we get the first frozen chances.

Meanwhile endless beautiful weather up here...

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

NO...   I just went through 10 days of model watching with Irma.  Not going to do another 10 days.  Probably will tease us for 9 and then on day 10 will be a whiff OTS.  At this rate with the tropics its keeping me busy till we get the first frozen chances.

Meanwhile endless beautiful weather up here...

I've opined if not bitched about this a few times in recent days ... how, Tropical weather enthusiasm has got to be the most tortured choice there is... I really don't see the allure.  Oh, I've spent my time in here writing up thoughts and philosophy like I typically do... but, geez .. In my heart of hearts it's kind of all silly to me because the percentages - they just don't pay off enough because they can't. You see a CV wave and the models go nuts in the MDR ... and plot a D14 strike in NJ... It's like egh - go f urself.  Pointless.  May as well end up hitting Jupiter at that range -

It's check at lunch break once a day hobby ... until it's 150 mile ENE of Nassau with unanimous strike scenarios ...otherwise, got more important things to do -

Some on the board may have seen it in their emails already, but it appears the EMC took steps to fix the GFS upgrade errors in tropical cyclones that we had talked a few weeks ago about. They ran simulations on the 2015 and 2016 hurricane seasons to prove that there was no significant degradation from the previous version to the current (upgraded) GFS. 

Unfortunately that doesn't explain why the GFS got its teeth kicked in with Irma. 

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Some on the board may have seen it in their emails already, but it appears the EMC took steps to fix the GFS upgrade errors in tropical cyclones that we had talked a few weeks ago about. They ran simulations on the 2015 and 2016 hurricane seasons to prove that there was no significant degradation from the previous version to the current (upgraded) GFS. 

Unfortunately that doesn't explain why the GFS got its teeth kicked in with Irma. 

Big Lou was not happy in that email thread LOL. But the points remain. GFS deepens everything to sub 900mb, and the tracks definitely were not as accurate as even the GEM.

Agreed ... As Irma chagrin points out ... track guidance and hurricanes tend to part company beyond even just two days in some cases...

To be fair, Irma wasn't "that" bad?  I suppose honed attention to every radar pixel along her journey over the last five days ...has really magnified errors in that regard. Every Satellite refresh in here and someone was posting an "Uh - wobbling back west; game on!" ...

But the lessons are still clad, and the forecast error balloons beyond particularly D 3 and 4...  Remember, Irma was a Long Island Express gig for some 15 cycles of the 50 that began 12 days ago leading up to this point in time.  That's a huge percentage chunk of oil to lube up the Jame's out there.. only to blithely do something else.  Ha.. (j/k James).

Anyway, that 00z run across the board is likely wrong... To state the obvious, you have to manage a loop... I mean, really quite literally a 360 degree coiled movement...and pops out along some happenstance trajectory that flirts with a trough that ...goodness, who the f knows will even exist?  Good luck...

Taking that popsicle headache and THEN making it hurt ... the 06z?   no chance at certitude. 

Having said all that...I thought the 06z coincidentally looked somewhat like the Perfect Storm deal -

Archived