Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This is not all snow. Driving sleet for a time for sure but very impressive totals for the corridor. I'm obviously happy with this panel. It's each man for himself on this one. lol

X3rqEz.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. Some high precip totals for us Easterners...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, snjókoma said:

yikes... sandstorm for sure.

You got that right. Especially west of 95. Here's the 925's @ 12z. So in my yard I have a below surface freezing with 925s well below freezing. This could be the biggest sleetstorm I'll ever experience in my life if the euro is accurate

oT6QOa.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Surface. Here's the 850s. Everyone can have some fun making sense of this panel. After taking a closer look it looks like the QPF bomb along the corridor is little snow at all based on the mids but I'm sorta confused with this panel:

saw that too when i was able to get in there. its weird. even i would flip and I'm not sure I buy that. No other model has shown me getting a mix. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You got that right. Especially west of 95. Here's the 925's @ 12z. So in my yard I have a below surface freezing with 925s well below freezing. This could be the biggest sleetstorm I'll ever experience in my life if the euro is accurate

oT6QOa.jpg

I wonder what's best to say in terms of forecasts.  Would it be better to say location x gets y" total or location x gets ya" of snow + yb" of sleet?

1 minute ago, mappy said:

saw that too when i was able to get in there. its weird. even i would flip and I'm not sure I buy that. No other model has shown me getting a mix. 

There are some odd things on some of those panels. I doubt you mix too and if you do it's not going to be for long. I'm definitely getting sleeted on good. And honestly, I'm looking forward to it. This entire time my biggest fear was a driving rainstorm and being on the outside looking in. Getting hammered with sleet is a completely acceptable outcome. I'm good with it.

The HRRR is too dry right now imho. Especially through 3AM or so. We're going to see that trend wetter as the hours pass. I'm pretty much 100% certain. PType presentation so far looks pretty reasonable though. Fits with other guidance. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

There are some odd things on some of those panels. I doubt you mix too and if you do it's not going to be for long. I'm definitely getting sleeted on good. And honestly, I'm looking forward to it. This entire time my biggest fear was a driving rainstorm and being on the outside looking in. Getting hammered with sleet is a completely acceptable outcome. I'm good with it.

The HRRR is too dry right now imho. Especially through 3AM or so. We're going to see that trend wetter as the hours pass. I'm pretty much 100% certain. PType presentation so far looks pretty reasonable though. Fits with other guidance. 

Ha, get out of my head. Thought the same thing when I went through it. Only has .6 IMBY by 6am, when every other model is nearly double that by morning. 

I need to stop looking at models and just let it play out. I have no reason to worry, but seeing the Euro send the 850s soaring up north made me jittery. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

oT6QOa.jpg

Weird. Not sure what to think of that. Obviously it's banding, but still kind of bizarre. Temps shouldn't waffle 4-5c based on precip rates.

35 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

I thInk if everyone took a few minutes to watch it, they would definitely like. I did! :) I like the fact that he thinks GFS is too far west, and thinks the Euro MIGHT re-adjust a touch more east. Fingers crossed, but ultimately it's almost nowcast time. 

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Weird. Not sure what to think of that. Obviously it's banding, but still kind of bizarre. Temps shouldn't waffle 4-5c based on precip rates.

I have my head wrapped around my postage stamp of real estate. There will be some nail biting tonight once the sleet starts showing on dual pol. Once that advances over my yard snow won't be returning until after the pivot. I'm not really sure how much I can get on the ground before that. I'm thinking maybe 4-5" or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the flip happens earlier than I want. Nothing I can do about it.

So far none of the most reliable guidance is showing plain rain. I'm very happy about that. 

I have me head wrapped around my postage stamp of real estate. There will be some nail biting tonight once the sleet starts showing on dual pol. Once that advances over my yard snow won't be returning until after the pivot. I'm not really sure how much I can get on the ground before that. I'm thinking maybe 4-5" or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the flip happens earlier than I want. Nothing I can do about it.

So far none of the most reliable guidance is showing plain rain. I'm very happy about that. 

Bob,  in your area what are your expectations after the change back to snow  in terms of additional accumulations ? 

I have my head wrapped around my postage stamp of real estate. There will be some nail biting tonight once the sleet starts showing on dual pol. Once that advances over my yard snow won't be returning until after the pivot. I'm not really sure how much I can get on the ground before that. I'm thinking maybe 4-5" or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the flip happens earlier than I want. Nothing I can do about it.

It will be an enjoyable storm for me as progged. I'll fall asleep while it's snowing at midnight and wake up around 6-7am after the change back. That's how this snow weenie deals with his dendritic despair!

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That's exactly where my bar is at with the storm -- avoiding a driving rainstorm.  I'd be happy with an inch or two of snow and an epic sleet fest followed by a back end band of snow. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That Euro breakdown of precip types above your post suggests around 2" of sleet for you and me. That's a disruptive amount--as in driving is difficult---if it pans out.

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

That's exactly where my bar is at with the storm -- avoiding a driving rainstorm.  I'd be happy with an inch or two of snow and an epic sleet fest followed by a back end band of snow. 

and most people who do avoid that will almost certainly do well

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Bob,  in your area what are your expectations after the change back to snow  in terms of additional accumulations ? 

My expectations are usually low honestly. QPF after the low is north of our latitude is notorious for being overdone. This particular case is fairly energetic with some twists and turns so the potential is there. Northern tier looks good though but they never flip so they have the best of both worlds. My total guess is maybe 2-3" for my yard after the sandstorm lets up. 

Archived