joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March med-long range disco thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

500mb pattern depicted on the overnight model runs, even the GFS does not support a significant winter storm at our latitude. We need the trough to dig further south, deepen more and go negative tilt quicker. That would help deepen the low, keep it closer to the coast before pulling northeast. It's a Northeast to New England storm currently. 

Tuesday that is.

1 minute ago, ers-wxman1 said:

500mb pattern depicted on the overnight model runs, even the GFS does not support a significant winter storm at our latitude. We need the trough to dig further south, deepen more and go negative tilt quicker. That would help deepen the low, keep it closer to the coast before pulling northeast. It's a Northeast to New England storm currently. 

Agreed, but as we all know, there is enough time for any of the options needed to materialize.....or go poof.  as snakebit as I am, 500 still looks closer to something good than we've seen in some time.  That in itself raises weary eyebrows.

Nut

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Agreed, but as we all know, there is enough time for any of the options needed to materialize.....or go poof.  as snakebit as I am, 500 still looks closer to something good than we've seen in some time.  That in itself raises weary eyebrows.

Nut

It has certainly caught my interest and the weenie in me is semi excited, but guarded :-)

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Im gonna say it.  It actually looks pretty good

I remember posting last year after the 1/19/16 0Z NAM that at 84 hrs., it looked like I'd expect it to look if it was in agreement with the globals. BUT, my comment about waiting for the 84 hrs. NAM was said in jest.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Think we need a thread for tomorrow morning, at least for the northern tier.

Things keep trending better and better. 

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_28.png

Maybe expect the NWS offices to add wording in the afternoon updates regarding the potential , already posted about the ones in PA doing so.

White out conditions, the event of the winter :-) 

Temps never drop below freezing anywhere close to the cities tonight and tomorrow am. I don't doubt snow falling from the sky. And I'm looking forward to it if it happens. But there will be no accumulations near the cities except maybe temporary slush on some mulch and grass. 

16 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Think we need a thread for tomorrow morning, at least for the northern tier.

Things keep trending better and better. 

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_28.png

Before anyone gets too excited, you should compare the NAM family of 12K, 4K, and 3K, which is the one above,  qpf output from all 3 below respectively because the 3K is off it's rocker:

namconus_apcpn_neus_16.png

nam4km_apcpn_neus_16.png

nam3km_apcpn_neus_16.png

FWIW, here are the 3 km NAM nest (to become operational perhaps next week) 2m temps for BWI tomorrow morning:

724060    170310/1100      6.50
 724060    170310/1200      4.30
 724060    170310/1300      2.70
 724060    170310/1400      1.50
 724060    170310/1500      1.00
 724060    170310/1600      0.90
 724060    170310/1700      1.70
 724060    170310/1800      3.00

If its big rates were correct, this would be plausible.   But as been noted, it seems to be a wet outlier.

19 minutes ago, eurojosh said:

4k NAM says nada for DC tomorrow, 3k NAM says 3" just north of Silver Spring.  Not much physical distance between the two options, so the difference is comprehensible...

nam4km_asnow_neus_21.png

nam3km_asnow_neus_61.png

Looks like 4k has picked up on the DC snow hole, maybe it has become 'self aware'....

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived