Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, dendrite said:

The only thing I don't like about that chart is that it starts off with the super nino of 97-98 and follows with some torchy years...smells a bit cherry picked. I think they're actually using DJF 96-97 as the first year on the chart since ASOS/METAR took over here in the summer of 1996. I guess it's easier to compare apples to apples with regards to climo data and the instrumentation used.

It's 1996-1997. I started it because it was 20 years worth which is the time period he chose, not me. Any 20 year stretch will be dominated by end points. You could also say ending on the year 2015-2016 makes it less negative than it "should" be because that winter was so warm...if I waited until another 2013-2014 or something and then drew the graph, then it would be even lower. That's why I usually do a much longer trend line. 

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

where do they get their "massachusetts" data

It's from a dataset called "nCLIMDIV". It is used to make climate divisions and then each division is weighted proportionally on its area to make a state average. The stations in the dataset are mostly USHCN stations. 

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's 1996-1997. I started it because it was 20 years worth which is the time period he chose, not me. Any 20 year stretch will be dominated by end points. You could also say ending on the year 2015-2016 makes it less negative than it "should" be because that winter was so warm...if I waited until another 2013-2014 or something and then drew the graph, then it would be even lower. That's why I usually do a much longer trend line. 

It's from a dataset called "nCLIMDIV". It is used to make climate divisions and then each division is weighted proportionally on its area to make a state average. The stations in the dataset are mostly USHCN stations. 

I probably should've went back and caught the beginning of the convo. I assumed it was some random chart from the web. My bad.

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Snowfall is overrated in the late winter timeframe, I just want spring to come already.

"Rating" has nothing to do with it - tho I know what your saying...

There are a users on the forum that would pound model signals if it were June, if snow had any chances.

Just imagine the summer of 1816, if that happen now... ha

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

"Rating" has nothing to do with it - tho I know what your saying...

There are a users on the forum that would pound model signals if it were June, if snow had any chances.

Just imagine the summer of 1816, if that happen now... ha

I would have a hard time liking snow afterwards, its baseball season, snow is supposed to be done in early April.

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I would have a hard time liking snow afterwards, its baseball season, snow is supposed to be done in early April.

I understand ... 

It's virtually impossible for the human beings that engage in this forums shenanigans to disconnect their wants and desires, their apparent inter-dependencies upon the vagaries of weather. Perhaps forged in their minds from the early childhood, some how, some way, that dependency is a primary drive in their moods and aspirations. It really is fascinating - 

Unfortunately, ...it's akin to form of insanity. It is. OH, it's a harmless one. But it simply is not sane.

That said, no human is perfectly functional - even Einstein had a hang-up or two...  And, so too, so many 'repeat offenders' here, rely upon a process born, for all intents and purposes, of chaos to fulfill those aspirations? That's willing ...almost seeking a form of persecution that way. 

In an ideal world, if at all possible, one should be completely disconnected from that emotional dependency. I'm sure there are other dysfunctional aspects to their lives; they don't need to add to them by hand wringing model depictions and/or miss events. But, if that were the case, 97.34 % of all activity would immediately evaporate and these threads would be ghostly emptied. 

If they could, they would look on the weather as an interesting sort of intellectual curiosity, coldly objectively scientific in all regards.  Then, when antithetic warm in winter takes place, and/or cold in summer, they are then capable of equal fascination/value in those departures from normalcy. What you are describes sort of eschews the real value of experiencing Nature's journey, as a process of discovery, in lieu of sating some need for fulfillment.

And ...trusty me.  This is not high-handed or higher road. Not even close. I too have senses of loss here and there, when it comes to break-downs in idealized expectation. Although, given time, I tend to mold into the flow (so to speak) quicker - example, last week's 70s were really interesting for me for a lot of reasons, and none of those are "affecting" my ability staring down the present colder look to guidance and so forth.  I close and open old and new chapters pretty quick.  

15 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Lol, I'll move to Maine as long as there's 20' high snow banks. 

Route 1 between CAR and PQI is the place to look, especially after the weekend wind (unless the pack is concreted, like it is at home.)  That stretch runs thru thousands of acres of ag fields, and by late winter the banks on the windward side can be quite impressive.  In my least snowy of 10 winters living in N. Maine (1979-80), a mid-March ground blizzard caused so much drifting that 2 days after the wind let up, we still were detoured thru a downwind potato field because the highway held so much ultra-windpacked snow.

In an ideal world, if at all possible, one should be completely disconnected from that emotional dependency.

I wouldn't call that an ideal world, more a nightmare world (unless one is a Vulcan.)  Hyperbole intentional.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Route 1 between CAR and PQI is the place to look, especially after the weekend wind (unless the pack is concreted, like it is at home.)  That stretch runs thru thousands of acres of ag fields, and by late winter the banks on the windward side can be quite impressive.  In my least snowy of 10 winters living in N. Maine (1979-80), a mid-March ground blizzard caused so much drifting that 2 days after the wind let up, we still were detoured thru a downwind potato field because the highway held so much ultra-windpacked snow.

In an ideal world, if at all possible, one should be completely disconnected from that emotional dependency.

I wouldn't call that an ideal world, more a nightmare world (unless one is a Vulcan.)  Hyperbole intentional.

Nice, I want to go to potato fields! I've never been to Aroostook County, only up to Calais and Katahdin.  I'm thinking of heading up to the chic-chocs/Gaspe this summer, check out some caribou, maybe I'll stop in the County for a couple days and check it out. 

An Allagash Canoe trip is also on my bucket list. I want to see a wolf. I know they're back in Maine, and you do too, but the Feds won't admit it due to endangered species stuff that no one wants to deal with. 

18 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Nice, I want to go to potato fields! I've never been to Aroostook County, only up to Calais and Katahdin.  I'm thinking of heading up to the chic-chocs/Gaspe this summer, check out some caribou, maybe I'll stop in the County for a couple days and check it out. 

An Allagash Canoe trip is also on my bucket list. I want to see a wolf. I know they're back in Maine, and you do too, but the Feds won't admit it due to endangered species stuff that no one wants to deal with. 

St. John is the more interesting (and less crowded) trip, but the season is short - 3 or 4 weeks in late spring, and one should check the USGS website and ensure that the Dickey gauge is 3,000+ cu.ft. before setting off.  (Unless one likes dragging canoes over the rocks.)  Nice thing about the St. John is that, unlike the Allagash where one hits Chase Rips at the start, the rapids grow in difficulty as one travels downstream.  That allows one to learn "on the job" rather than hitting the toughest water first.

To my knowledge, Maine has had 2 confirmed wolves killed over the past 30+ years.  One was a released pet but the other was confirmed as a fully wild 2-year-old.  What somewhat confounds wolf ID in the Northeast is that coyotes here are about 30% larger than their western cousins, and interbreeding between the 2 species is not unknown.  A fair number of hunters go after coyotes (a very difficult hunt in dense woods), and one would expect that the presence of a breeding wild wolf population would result in some kills of the larger animal - more than 2 in 3-plus decades, at least.  For me, the jury is still out.

Archived