Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

But you and several others aren't listening. I am happy to correct some of the myths, but the blatant disregard for facts brought up in here is mindblowing.  The whole "they always look good far away and then trend to crao" is nonsense. First of all, if you define far away from day 7-16...guess what...you'll always come up with a hit with a model run between 2-4 times per day. You are just asking for disappointment if that's how you view the science. There is a reason why we say please ignore the op runs beyond day 7. Some are not doing that. Also, we've had several events that were nothing inside day 7 and then trended better. Last year had a few of them...hell so did this year. So that is another misnomer. People believe what they want to believe.

looks like a blizzard this Saturday according to the weather maps I just drew up in crayon.

I bet you think that's out in lala land as well.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

But you and several others aren't listening. I am happy to correct some of the myths, but the blatant disregard for facts brought up in here is mindblowing.  The whole "they always look good far away and then trend to crao" is nonsense. First of all, if you define far away from day 7-16...guess what...you'll always come up with a hit with a model run between 2-4 times per day. You are just asking for disappointment if that's how you view the science. There is a reason why we say please ignore the op runs beyond day 7. Some are not doing that. Also, we've had several events that were nothing inside day 7 and then trended better. Last year had a few of them...hell so did this year. So that is another misnomer. People believe what they want to believe.

how do you have 102,000 + posts and forecast the weather??

pretty impressive.

Now, can you privately email me about my weather map drawings and the impending reload?

I HAVE MY OWN WEENIE TAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU EVERYONE!

I wasn't sure if I would ever earn this honor

but as they say,

If you keep at it, and you believe the opposite of what smart people believe..

You relentlessly have tantrums and look for miracles that never happen.

who knows...

you may just make it.

god bless everyone and thanks again!

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Humans are capable of multi tasking. Technology has improved our ability to release waste while surfing virtually.

oh I get it

you mean like texting and driving.

or how about tweeting WHILE taking care of the 24 envelopes at this years Oscars.

yeah, we can multitask alright.....NOT

33 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We should teach fat albert and roofies responsible ways to have fun not criminalize them. No need to outkast them from the forum or life. 

Fat Albert is politically incorrect these days. "Ideal weight challenged Albert" is more like it.

BTW...what is going on with this thread? Anger, alcohol, drugs and long range forecasting don't mix.

If everyone just admitted that rainers verify, and snowers don't, then there wouldn't be an argument. The reason it happens does not matter, its the final outcome that matters. You're not a bad Met if you say "yes, rainers do verify much more often than snowers".  But calling weenies dumb isn't fair, we're calling it as we see it, and how it actually is. 

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

If everyone just admitted that rainers verify, and snowers don't, then there wouldn't be an argument. The reason it happens does not matter, its the final outcome that matters. You're not a bad Met if you say "yes, rainers do verify much more often than snowers".  But calling weenies dumb isn't fair, we're calling it as we see it, and how it actually is. 

Guess those 2 rainers you were pumping that turned into snow storms in Feb don't count. 

there have been plenty of times where blocking screwed us later in the season

March 1988 ( more than once)

late Feb 1989, April 2003, March 2006, Feb 2010

just to name a few

Seems like these "transient" blocks that you guys speak of have paid crazy dividends for SNE, esp eastern and southern zones

A lot needs to go right for good neg NAO to really produce region wide, I have always thought it was better s of the pike and especially the mid atlantic

I just read all these posts like it's the end all savior and for many of us it really isn't

Sunday is a non event north of Belmar/ Montauk/Ack....take that to the bank now

3 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

there have been plenty of times where blocking screwed us later in the season

March 1988 ( more than once)

late Feb 1989, April 2003, March 2006, Feb 2010

just to name a few

Seems like these "transient" blocks that you guys speak of have paid crazy dividends for SNE, esp eastern and southern zones

A lot needs to go right for good neg NAO to really produce region wide, I have always thought it was better s of the pike and especially the mid atlantic

I just read all these posts like it's the end all savior and for many of us it really isn't

Sunday is a non event north of Belmar/ Montauk/Ack....take that to the bank now

A big -NAO can do wonders too late in year too...March 2001 (that was actually the best north of the pike and into NNE), March 2005, March 2013, March 1984, February 1969, March 1958. The NAO is one piece, but it can help slow down the flow and keep a cold supply entrenched to the north. Obviously there are other factors that can decide whether we cash in on such a pattern...we're still at the whim of those and also individual shortwaves and timing.

The NAO tends to lose influence as you head into late March and early April though.

15 hours ago, Whineminster said:

There are stretches when every system turns to garbage and ones where even the least promising systems wind up producing snow.  January 2014 is an example of the first - at mid month I'd had 3.5" precip and just 2.1" snow, with an average temp only 10F, a very rare skunk trifecta.  Then there's last month, when OTS systems came back to dump 4-8" and 1-3" (forecast) clippers dropped 6-8" of 30:1 feathers.  Even the mixed messes of Jan 24 and Feb 7-8 were progged as mainly-rain cutters a couple days before arrival.  Being Eeyore is self-defeating.

Today's 0.3" dusting broke a string of 18 days w/o measurable snow, but the previous 10 days had dumped 45".  Which should I remember?

I think I finally have my Maple Sap Cam stabilized thanks to some improvements I made to the WiFi signal getting to the camera in the woods and now I'm looking at ways that I could improve it.  One of the things I was wondering about was getting weather information on there and I'm wondering if anyone here that has a weather Web cam with weather information (temperature, pressure, etc.) on it if they can tell me what they use to include that.

11 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I'm watching sap drip into a bucket in glorious 1080p.  

What a time to be alive.

lol...I figured if people tuned in to watch corn grow in Iowa they would tune in to watch sap dripping in New England.

10 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Btw, https://iptimelapse.com/ will overlay weather info onto an image as well as make a nice time lapse of the bucket filling.

Interesting.  That does look like what I want to do.  The only issue is that I'm using a Raspberry Pi to stream the feed.  I'm using ffmpeg on that and maybe I could run a separate process to combine the two. 

I hadn't thought about time lapses.  That would be interesting.  After the maple season I was going to put it in the woods pointing at the tubing and call it the "Maple Woods Cam" and that could be interesting as well.

8 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

lol...I figured if people tuned in to watch corn grow in Iowa they would tune in to watch sap dripping in New England.

Interesting.  That does look like what I want to do.  The only issue is that I'm using a Raspberry Pi to stream the feed.  I'm using ffmpeg on that and maybe I could run a separate process to combine the two. 

I hadn't thought about time lapses.  That would be interesting.  After the maple season I was going to put it in the woods pointing at the tubing and call it the "Maple Woods Cam" and that could be interesting as well.

Does tapping hurt the trees? I know if someone poked a whole into me to suck my fluids out I wouldn't feel so good. I don't really care either way, because I love maple sizzurp on corn fritters at the Old Mill. Although I'm sure they use aunt jemima. 

1 minute ago, Whineminster said:

Does tapping hurt the trees? I know if someone poked a whole into me to suck my fluids out I wouldn't feel so good. I don't really care either way, because I love maple sizzurp on corn fritters at the Old Mill. Although I'm sure they use aunt jemima. 

The hole is a 5/16 diameter hole about 1-1.5" deep.  It would be no different than a similar sized branch breaking off.  The tree heals itself within a few months so you're not leaving this open hole in the side of tree.  It's kind of a misnomer that taking sap hurts the tree.  We are only collecting a small portion of all the sap that is running through the tree.  Even with vacuum systems you're just creating an environment of lower pressure to allow the sap to flow.  You're not sucking it out of the tree.  Trees have been tapped for hundreds of years without harming them and proper management plans help the trees be healthier than they otherwise would be.

Archived