joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like I'll break my March record for lowest max temp today with 12.1F at midnight. It got a little over 11F this afternoon. My old record was the cheap midnight high of 12.7F from 3/6/07, but the afternoon high only made it to 5F so that's a good 3C colder.

Pretty remarkable swing in a week. Last Saturday hit 64.3F despite having over a foot of snow OTG. Today we do 12F with half of that and the pack pulling away from torch objects.

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm not sure when this came down but i just noticed we lost a nearly 3' pine in the last week.  It wasn't there last weekend. 

20170304_130837_resized(2).jpg

20170304_130903_resized(2).jpg

Given the punky center, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.  Expect the other half to fall to a SE gale in the not too distant future.

Near zero this morning and struggling to get back to yesterday's 8:59 PM low of 9, with gusts approaching 30.  Saw snow at the mid levels this AM but not a flake reaching the ground.  Typical for squalls around here.  Warm season severe always misses; why not cold season as well.)

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Given the punky center, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.  Expect the other half to fall to a SE gale in the not too distant future.

Near zero this morning and struggling to get back to yesterday's 8:59 PM low of 9, with gusts approaching 30.  Saw snow at the mid levels this AM but not a flake reaching the ground.  Typical for squalls around here.  Warm season severe always misses; why not cold season as well.)

I hope it does--it'll open up a view to the west and ease a little of the barrier to my wind readings.

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like I'll break my March record for lowest max temp today with 12.1F at midnight. It got a little over 11F this afternoon. My old record was the cheap midnight high of 12.7F from 3/6/07, but the afternoon high only made it to 5F so that's a good 3C colder.

Pretty remarkable swing in a week. Last Saturday hit 64.3F despite having over a foot of snow OTG. Today we do 12F with half of that and the pack pulling away from torch objects.

My lowest March max was 7 on 3/8/07, as the second Arctic blast went thru, but my afternoon high on 3/6/07 was -2.  Last week's 54 wasn't nearly as mild as places not too far south, but it's still my highest temp in 19 Februarys here.  Still 23" on the ground though it's a bit stale on the surface, and if we decouple soon after midnight, this afternoon's low diving platform could put -15 or lower in play.  More likely is a continued breeze and -5.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice. The lower elevation one was colder though right?

Yeah I was just being a smartazz...lol. The older record still stands because the newer site has been unable to break it until today. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I was just being a smartazz...lol. The older record still stands because the newer site has been unable to break it until today. 

:lol:   Imagine if we had some fresh snow cover.  To do this in march with bare ground is pretty good. I know it's early March....but still darn impressive.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

How's the Davis going? 

Not going yet. I need a tripod and will have to do a project in the backyard to get it in the ground. I want to get it above the 6' tripod. Not sure if they sell another extension? Tripod will be on roof. I feel like it will be a lightning rod though..lol.

interesting they say it was 21 at 0012

0:20 19.4 8.6 16.7 62 21.9 31.1 WNW 30.30   30.32 Mostly Cloudy 10.00 4000                   OK
0:15 19.4 8.6 16.7 62 15.0   NNW 30.29   30.31 Mostly Cloudy 10.00 4000                   OK
0:05 19.4 8.6 16.7 62 18.4   NNW 30.29   30.31 Light Snow 9.00 4300                   OK
23:54 21.0

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not going yet. I need a tripod and will have to do a project in the backyard to get it in the ground. I want to get it above the 6' tripod. Not sure if they sell another extension? Tripod will be on roof. I feel like it will be a lightning rod though..lol.

It will be, but my anemometer is 40ft up on a pole over my garage. I've been lucky so far, but one of these days I'll probably pay for having it not grounded 

Archived