Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Budget processes are long and involved,kind of a hyped panic attack when initial numbers are thrown out. I would wait until it shakes out before freaking out. The process has a way of evolving. NWS and close in forecasting probably is not a target for the big cuts. Initial reaction almost always assumes Armageddon but we will see.

Yes and no. This won't be the final budget, but I know I haven't seen or heard of such a targeted attack on specific parts of NOAA. 22-26% cuts to OAR and NESDIS are big numbers to overcome, even if they can argue their way into a little softer cuts. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Actually it does matter. The globe isn't supposed to warm homogeneously...both spacially and temporally. 

There have actually been papers recently that talk about the mid-latitude winters warming much slower (and even cooling in the past 25 years) recently due to Arctic amplification. Now whether this continues or not (and how long) is obviously speculative...but it's been a notable trend since the late 1980s. The place that has seen the effect the most is actually not the U.S., but Asia. There's been a steep decline in winter temps there. So while you can see our area of cooling in the eastern US during that time, it's not as impressive as the other side of the world...the band of mid-latitude cold in the NH is quite evident...and it seems to be confined to the cold season. 

image.png

I'm not sure what we are disagreeing on, but in terms of scaled forcing the dominant signal there is the warming everywhere else. 

I'm not sure why a smaller cold nodes that happens to be lingering over the Northeast US, or like latitudes ...is more indicative of the system when considering that dominant signal that occupies the whole.  That doesn't make logical sense to me. 

I would suggest that in plain text what it really means is that we have been very fortunate in this band to not be involved in a much more demonstrative heating like everywhere else, of course relative to our climatology  

But that's the way I roll

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not sure what we are disagreeing on, but in terms of scaled forcing the dominant signal there is the warming everywhere else. 

I'm not sure why a smaller cold nodes that happens to be lingering over the Northeast US, or like latitudes ...is more indicative of the system when considering that dominant signal that occupies the whole.  That doesn't make logical sense to me. 

I would suggest that in plain text what it really means is that we have been very fortunate in this band to not be involved in a much more demonstrative heating like everywhere else, of course relative to our climatology  

But that's the way roll

That NoAm cold pool is just about centered over DC! I kid, I kid...(kind of)

There is probably something to us (the US) not living it day to day. But somewhere like SE Asia is taking prospects of climate change seriously.

10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wow, I guess I underestimated the squalls there!! I decided not to head up there this weekend. Definitely should have!!

I posted this in the NNE thread, but they had to close Rte 11/30 both ways out of Manchester just heading up the mountain towards Stratton, Bromley, etc earlier for a few hours due to an accident. As you know, it's the only way up there, lots of people coming in for the weekend stuck in town.

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

But that's the way I roll

Well AGW climate theory does say the poles should warm faster than mid latitudes. So i guess I am saying we shouldn't expect everywhere to warm the same amount and certainly not an even distribution over each season...but there's something to be said for empirical evidence at the end of the day. The poles have been warming faster (well mostly the north polar regions...southern polar regions have been a bit sluggish vs models). Do we expect our winters to keep stagnating on the warming? No, I don't think that is what the data is showing or says...but in a latitude band that warms slower, you'd probably expect 20 year periods of no warming. So while its "lucky", it probably isn't that strange at all. 

Anyways, back to the original point...it might be less lucky than we first think too. If Arctic amplification is really leading to a higher frequency of the "warm Arctic, cold continents" pattern in the winter, then the band of colder temps shown in those latitudes might be explained by more than chance. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well AGW climate theory does say the poles should warm faster than mid latitudes. So i guess I am saying we shouldn't expect everywhere to warm the same amount and certainly not an even distribution over each season...but there's something to be said for empirical evidence at the end of the day. The poles have been warming faster (well mostly the north polar regions...southern polar regions have been a bit sluggish vs models). Do we expect our winters to keep stagnating on the warming? No, I don't think that is what the data is showing or says...but in a latitude band that warms slower, you'd probably expect 20 year periods of no warming. So while its "lucky", it probably isn't that strange at all. 

Anyways, back to the original point...it might be less lucky than we first think too. If Arctic amplification is really leading to a higher frequency of the "warm Arctic, cold continents" pattern in the winter, then the band of colder temps shown in those latitudes might be explained by more than chance. 

Exactly.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Looks like 850 temps at GYX are going to be about -25.7C, previous record for 04.12z was -20.8.

Monthly min is -27.1, so we're not all that far off from there either.

Pretty soon you'll have to go to "Its A Party" and fill your own balloon, tie an accurite thermometer on it, and get the reading that way. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Pretty soon you'll have to go to "Its A Party" and fill your own balloon, tie an accurite thermometer on it, and get the reading that way. 

Reel it in by hand twice a day so we don't have to make several trips back to the store a week. 

42 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Reel it in by hand twice a day so we don't have to make several trips back to the store a week. 

Just wanted to say how much we all appreciate what you guys in the NWS  do for the public good.  I know the angst you all are feeling during these times of budget cuts and realignments, sucks. Hopefully the pain is minimal to you and your peeps. 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just wanted to say how much we all appreciate what you guys in the NWS  do for the public good.  I know the angst you all are feeling during these times of budget cuts and realignments, sucks. Hopefully the pain is minimal to you and your peeps. 

I'll survive, because I still care about what I do. It's those people who were borderline to begin with. They are the types that might shut it down for a time.

GOES-13 vs. GOES-16 (formerly R)

Picture1.png

1 km on the top vs. 0.5 km on the bottom, but the 1 minute update times for our mesoscale sector are just sweet. We really need a dynamic event to give it a test drive.

Oh, and the GOES-R data is experimental, so don't go using it like operational data if you were planning on making any decision based on this image.

25 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

GOES-13 vs. GOES-16 (formerly R)

Picture1.png

1 km on the top vs. 0.5 km on the bottom, but the 1 minute update times for our mesoscale sector are just sweet. We really need a dynamic event to give it a test drive.

Oh, and the GOES-R data is experimental, so don't go using it like operational data if you were planning on making any decision based on this image.

Nice gravity wave stitches 

12 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well... this statement services my point in this discussion.

Which was, speak to the situation as a whole, not just the imby domain space of eastern N/A -

I just didn't read it implicit or explicitly in the original chatter that the entire system was causal - and that's what you just outlined above.  So we actually agree. 

I'm perfectly willing to explore the idea that GW is somehow having a mechanics cold-feedback in driving the mid latitudes as having relative negative during winters.  

And...notice I didn't say AGW; in fact, I haven't said AGW once, carefully not in recent times.  I don't want to arouse that sort of "strategically" obfuscated debate on whether Anthro. is causal -

... redact

I left "A" out of GW above so as to avoid all that -

Archived