Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RUMG11 said:

The question will be how well does the NAM handle these temps. Because it is clearly the warmest in regards to the r/s line's location and how far north it pushes 

The nam was the best for our SE storm in January.  It was a different setup, but the nam accurately predicted the mixing line to be 30 miles further NW than other modeling.  The weather forecasters and NWS really busted for the Charlotte and Raleigh metro areas.  Instead of 6-10, many areas got around an inch.

Just now, packfan98 said:

The nam was the best for our SE storm in January.  It was a different setup, but the nam accurately predicted the mixing line to be 30 miles further NW than other modeling.  The weather forecasters and NWS really busted for the Charlotte and Raleigh metro areas.  Instead of 6-10, many areas got around an inch.

Well that makes the consistency of the NAM quite concerning if you're hoping for accumulating snow to the south. 

1 minute ago, packfan98 said:

How good was the 4K NAM?

Because looking at that, I'd lock that one up right away.

Just now, Fozz said:

How good was the 4K NAM?

Because looking at that, I'd lock that one up right away.

I can't recall which red-tagger said it (maybe das), but I'm fairly sure they said that the 4k nam has been getting the best verification scores of the nam nest.  This was about 3 weeks ago.  Of course, having said that, I don't think it did very well in the most recent "storm."

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I can't recall which red-tagger said it (maybe das), but I'm fairly sure they said that the 4k nam has been getting the best verification scores of the nam nest.  This was about 3 weeks ago.  Of course, having said that, I don't think it did very well in the most recent "storm."

If you're on that bandwagon... 

IMG_1705.PNG.baae8b233f47fd16170fa4da5f010926.PNG

Here is super important point to realize about NAM snowfall maps:    if the model has 1" of liquid for an event, and the model thinks that during all of the precip, half of the elements falling from the sky are snowflakes and half are raindrops, it generates 0.5" liquid as snow.    The 10:1 ratio is then applied to get 5" of snow, even though we all know that a 50/50 rain/snow mix won't accumulate 5".    The best parameter to check is the accumulated snow depth from f00 on the EMC page.   You can see it for the NAM nest (4km), with a northeast zoom, near the bottom of  http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mmbpll/nam_conusnest/

I've attached the 6z plot of snow depth from f00 (the start).    Even though the TT map shows a lot of central MD getting good accumulations, the model thinks that very little is on the ground by 15z Thursday, until you get up to the MD/PA line.

namx.neast.snowdrun33.gif

Archived