February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, yoda said:

Anything on how good the WRF-NMM is?  Cause we'd all run with this

wrf-nmm_asnow_neus_48.png

The label is wrong - it's the WRF-NMMB.   It's one of the two Hi-Res Windows.    The NMMB is the same core used by the NAM (and half of the SREF members.)    It's a hi-res model (3.6 km) that is run twice per day.    One of the big differences between it and the NAM is that this Hi-Res Window WRF-NMMB run is initialized off of the RAP.   Overall, it scores worse that the WRF-ARW (same core as the RAP/HRRR) Hi-Res Window run.

And these snowfall plots suffer from the same problem that I noted earlier with the NAM.

Just now, high risk said:

The label is wrong - it's the WRF-NMMB.   It's one of the two Hi-Res Windows.    The NMMB is the same core used by the NAM (and half of the SREF members.)    It's a hi-res model (3.6 km) that is run twice per day.    One of the big differences between it and the NAM is that this Hi-Res Window WRF-NMMB run is initialized off of the RAP.   Overall, it scores worse that the WRF-ARW (same core as the RAP/HRRR) Hi-Res Window run.

And these snowfall plots suffer from the same problem that I noted earlier with the NAM.

Ah, thanks good sir. 

1 minute ago, high risk said:

The WRF-ARW snowfall map from last night shows exactly the kind of sharp gradient I was talking about. I think the map below is a realistic scenario, considering how marginal this storm will be.

wrf-arw_asnow_neus_48.png

1 minute ago, mappy said:

gotta say, I don't really agree with LWX's call of only an advisory up the northern tier. The chances of us seeing warning lvl snow (even if only 5") is there. 

Yeah, I wonder about that for the counties farther west and up at the PA/MD line.  Interestingly, they also expanded the advisory a bit south to cover the northwest part of MoCo and HoCo.

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, I wonder about that for the counties farther west and up at the PA/MD line.  Interestingly, they also expanded the advisory a bit south to cover the northwest part of MoCo and HoCo.

It wouldn't surprise me if they upgraded to a warning later, maybe after all 12z runs. I just think some of us could see 5" out of this. 

Not surprised about the advisory to parts of MoCo/HoCo down into VA. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea there was a storm in Jan 2007 I think where NYC was under a warning for 6-10" and the storm took a bit longer to bomb and so temps never crashed and it was a 35 degree rainstorm. 

I believe it was Jan 2008, but yeah that one hurt for the NYC crowd. 

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they upgraded to a warning later, maybe after all 12z runs. I just think some of us could see 5" out of this. 

I think you have a good shot at seeing 5", but most of the county probably won't (unless there's a nice shift south), so I'm guessing the made it an advisory since most of the people live in the southern part of northern Baltimore county (which LWX defines as pretty much anyone north or west of 695).

7 minutes ago, mappy said:

These maps are based on snowfall and not what is actually on the ground.  Also based upon 10:1 ratio.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Archived