Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

14 minutes ago, RUMG11 said:

RGEM gives me hope. If the Euro holds a more southern expanded percip shield and keeps temps lower to the south I'll feel a bit better. 

Before anyone chimes in with the "were too close for the euro" crap a couple weeks ago during that warm coastal the high res nam models and gfs insisted there would be a deform band overnight up here to drop snow the day before and the euro was rock solid showing that dry slot and nothing overnight. It nailed the meso features from 12 hours out when the high res models failed. The euro can be wrong but tossing it at any range is risky. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I believe it was Jan 2008, but yeah that one hurt for the NYC crowd. 

I think you have a good shot at seeing 5", but most of the county probably won't (unless there's a nice shift south), so I'm guessing the made it an advisory since most of the people live in the southern part of northern Baltimore county (which LWX defines as pretty much anyone north or west of 695).

that makes sense. thanks, fozz. 

2 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

These maps are based on snowfall and not what is actually on the ground.  Also based upon 10:1 ratio.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

what maps? 

11 minutes ago, mappy said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they upgraded to a warning later, maybe after all 12z runs. I just think some of us could see 5" out of this. 

Not surprised about the advisory to parts of MoCo/HoCo down into VA. 

I like your spot the best for the forum to see a warning type event. PSU too given his elevation, but you'll be closer to the main deformation axis once the storm rounds the bend at OCMD. It's a very tight forecast for many in here and I'm sticking to my guns with an I-70 on north dividing line and elevated areas. That being said, trends are a bit more favorable further south so far, but it's still a razor thin edge. GFS looks more like Euro now and even more juiced up. It's going to be a fun storm. Great meteorology at work the next 36 hours. 

Just now, supernovasky said:

p5c8AWU.png

*not to be taken seriously, ratio's will not be this high* 

Just now, ravensrule said:

The Euro is rarely as wet as the GFS. But i am starting to get a good feeling about this.

can you imagine if it does end up equally as wet! :o

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

I like your spot the best for the forum to see a warning type event. PSU too given his elevation, but you'll be closer to the main deformation axis once the storm rounds the bend at OCMD. It's a very tight forecast for many in here and I'm sticking to my guns with an I-70 on north dividing line and elevated areas. That being said, trends are a bit more favorable further south so far, but it's still a razor thin edge. GFS looks more like Euro now and even more juiced up. It's going to be a fun storm. Great meteorology at work the next 36 hours. 

keep talking dirty. i like it. 

Seriously though, thanks for the insight. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

.5+ qpf for you between 9z-15z. 

Problem is most of that falls between 9z and 11z...and the flip for me probably happens around 10z/11z....the implication hasn't really changed here in DC...A burst of heavy wet snow at the end...whether it is cosmetic or dumps 1-2" is yet to be seen. GFS would suggest 1-2" given it is such a dynamic moisture bomb.  I think for me that is pretty much the upside.  

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

The thing is, the Euro always kinda held on to this solution of colder/wetter.

Yes. I've been making that point this AM. The Euro has been a rock for a few days now for the beltways with showing some snow. We are not used to it being Dr. Yes, but probably should have been putting more weight in how steadfast it has been.

The GFS sure makes the forecast a tough one.  It gives 0.60" in the 3-hr period ending at 12Z.   If we have a 2 hour window of snow with S+ for a couple of hours then we would see  a couple of inches.  Hate foecasts like this.  Lighten the precip a bit and the temp doesn't fall as much and you get now accumulation, sort of like the NAM. 

Just now, usedtobe said:

The GFS sure makes the forecast a tough one.  It gives 0.60" in the 3-hr period ending at 12Z.   If we have a 2 hour window of snow with S+ for a couple of hours then we would see  a couple of inches.  Hate foecasts like this.  Lighten the precip a bit and the temp doesn't fall as much and you get now accumulation, sort of like the NAM. 

So you're saying there's  a chance...

Archived