Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Nah. Just sitting back knowing I've been locked in for a solid storm now for about a day.  Way beyond my initial expectations when I started this though, I'll be honest.  I was thinking moderate storm, now we talking major.

You have been sitting in a great spot now for the last couple days, No doub't, Enjoy it, I know its not been good this winter down there.

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Should not be bad there for you being right on the river, It usually blows pretty good up the Kennebec to AUG.

I've got about a mile fetch to the north, 1.5-2 miles to the NE and my first floor is about 18' above the water.  I anticipate good gusts when a good storm comes.

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

IMG_0728.GIF

IMG_0727.PNG

Beauty.

Amazing to think it's been ten years since I joined you all. 2007 was my first winter on Eastern. I didn't understand ANYTHING when I first joined.

My point is: The biggest step learning wx has been tossing snow maps, qpf.

Look at mid levels and ride that for your first jackpot. Surface temps for the coastal front for the secondary jack. That's most storms anyway. Of course it varies depending on details.

Kuchera seems to be the new weenie fad we're adding this winter. Don't be fooled. Storm is moving fast.

My forecast at Boston right now is a clean foot on the dot. I don't see us getting into the 7h magic that will dump 1-2 feet over rt 2. Obviously BOS isn't the coastal front jack this time around.

All subject to change still. 

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

Amazing to think it's been ten years since I joined you all. 2007 was my first winter on Eastern. I didn't understand ANYTHING when I first joined.

My point is: The biggest step learning wx has been tossing snow maps, qpf.

Look at mid levels and ride that for your first jackpot. Surface temps for the coastal front for the secondary jack. That's most storms anyway. Of course it varies depending on details.

Kuchera seems to be the new weenie fad we're adding this winter. Don't be fooled. Storm is moving fast.

My forecast at Boston right now is a clean foot on the dot. I don't see us getting into the 7h magic that will dump 1-2 feet over rt 2. Obviously BOS isn't the coastal front jack this time around.

I joined around the same time and I still don't know anything.

Do we need to worry about this being another situation where the big snows continue to shift east, and areas west of I287 get a 3-6 inch etc type screw job? I realize we are a bit aways from that reality occurring...but I cant get some past situations out of my head, and am starting to panic. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, KeithB said:

Do we need to worry about this being another situation where the big snows continue to shift east, and areas west of I287 get a 3-6 inch etc type screw job? I realize we are a bit aways from that reality occurring...but I cant get some past situations out of my head, and am starting to panic. Thoughts?

No, I don't see that on any guidance.

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

Seems like there is decent fronto for us on HRRR at 925mb at the beginning. Then right as that exists 700mb fronto hits. 

700mb has certainly ticked slightly east. I feel better about that. 

I think Kevin to ORH to LWM is looking at 1-2 feet. 

Not enough time for 2'...the heaviest snow is a matter of several hours really.

Archived