Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, KeithB said:

Do we need to worry about this being another situation where the big snows continue to shift east, and areas west of I287 get a 3-6 inch etc type screw job? I realize we are a bit aways from that reality occurring...but I cant get some past situations out of my head, and am starting to panic. Thoughts?

3-6 would be a huge win here LOL. No complaints ;).

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Amazing to think it's been ten years since I joined you all. 2007 was my first winter on Eastern. I didn't understand ANYTHING when I first joined.

My point is: The biggest step learning wx has been tossing snow maps, qpf.

Look at mid levels and ride that for your first jackpot. Surface temps for the coastal front for the secondary jack. That's most storms anyway. Of course it varies depending on details.

Kuchera seems to be the new weenie fad we're adding this winter. Don't be fooled. Storm is moving fast.

My forecast at Boston right now is a clean foot on the dot. I don't see us getting into the 7h magic that will dump 1-2 feet over rt 2. Obviously BOS isn't the coastal front jack this time around.

All subject to change still. 

This is a terrific post

11 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Amazing to think it's been ten years since I joined you all. 2007 was my first winter on Eastern. I didn't understand ANYTHING when I first joined.

My point is: The biggest step learning wx has been tossing snow maps, qpf.

Look at mid levels and ride that for your first jackpot. Surface temps for the coastal front for the secondary jack. That's most storms anyway. Of course it varies depending on details.

Kuchera seems to be the new weenie fad we're adding this winter. Don't be fooled. Storm is moving fast.

My forecast at Boston right now is a clean foot on the dot. I don't see us getting into the 7h magic that will dump 1-2 feet over rt 2. Obviously BOS isn't the coastal front jack this time around.

All subject to change still. 

Joined Aug 30, 2006....started posting in the fall.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not enough time for 2'...the heaviest snow is a matter of several hours really.

We're talking rates that could near 20" if that 700mb fronto product is correct. I mean it really rots over that corridor. If we achieve those rates, I could see it *localized* not widespread. 

Plus the skew-t's saw on here earlier tonight looked great for snow growth, omega, dgz ideal... 

Just now, sbos_wx said:

We're talking rates that could near 20" if that 700mb fronto product is correct. I mean it really rots over that corridor. If we achieve those rates, I could see it *localized* not widespread. 

Plus the skew-t's saw on here earlier tonight looked great for snow growth, omega, dgz ideal... 

I don't think the residence time is enough for those amounts, but it's possible over a foot falls in 3-4 hrs. It looks like it should jog east and consolidate again with the CCB stuff. Can't rule out a loli to 20...but I think 2' is tough.  Also, Diane's area near PYM could get crushed.

2 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Thank you Dave. Sound FX was sick by the way. I think it's on demand if you didn't catch it.

Might as well just get nude tonight. Keeping hitting refresh on the model maps.

I do love the look of the PV advection tomorrow. The anomaly slides under SNE, but is being advected due north. Should be plenty of lift in that case. 

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Joined Aug 30, 2006....started posting in the fall.

As long as we're trying to feel old...can't believe I first started posting in January 2005 on WWBB (lurked long before that) at age 23....a dozen years gone just like that. But fun times on here...these are the type of systems that have made it a great experience.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

As long as we're trying to feel old...can't believe I first started posting in January 2005 on WWBB (lurked long before that) at age 23....a dozen years gone just like that. But fun times on here...these are the type of systems that have made it a great experience.

I was 15 (!!!) when I started posting.

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

I was 15 (!!!) when I started posting.

Weather forums didn't exist when I was 15 unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you view it)....

Anyways...RGEM is pretty awesome looking. Bumped NW a smidge and looks quite potent.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't think the residence time is enough for those amounts, but it's possible over a foot falls in 3-4 hrs. It looks like it should jog east and consolidate again with the CCB stuff. Can't rule out a loli to 20...but I think 2' is tough.  Also, Diane's area near PYM could get crushed.

Yeah we're really just arguing semantics anyway. We agree on same area. Good reminders to everyone on totals though because of its speed.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Weather forums didn't exist when I was 15 unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you view it)....

Anyways...RGEM is pretty awesome looking. Bumped NW a smidge and looks quite potent.

LOL unfortunately for you guys, it did. I pinned myself to all of your asses to figure out what was going on. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Many go much further back then that. Let us not forget newsgroups.
Personally this weenie journey started when I was about 8yrs old. That's 50 yrs+ of playing ignorant, know enough to be dangerous and in the end it's fun. I vaguely remember you posting as a Rookie. Perennial Pro-bowl, MVP ever since!  

Good-luck to all!

Archived