• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

I joked about this a month ago but heh... I'll be damned if it isn't actually looking like a March 1956 (or was it 1957?) ... type of winter. 

Not so much that it will all happen in March this go ..but the idea of being like 90% back-ass loaded.  ... There are two near misses on this 00z GFS that if things modulated like a pube overall and most climo sites from the MA to NE go quite some distance toward adjusting their seasonal snowfall totals...  

That stream interaction out around 200-240 hours is really f close to being one of those subsume scenarios... Then, the model tries to do again like 5 days later.  Impressive run really...  

Plus, the ideas put forth by the teleoconnectors yesterday haven't changed.  Still a pretty impressive convergence of signals over eastern N/A ... MJO is wildly powerful into the 8th wave space, at the same time the PNA is rising boldly to some +3 SD... In fact, those two teleconnectors tend to positively interfere/construct one another so that's really a steep signal for the flow in western Canada man.  And, the NAO is trying to edge negative... Somehwere out there around D8-12 there is pretty hefty signal folks.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There also small event that Will mentioned early Saturday showing up .. but, more importantly perhaps, there's a D 6/7 'between' event prior to the louder teleconnector signal that D8+

That one's showing up on multiple GEF members, including the Euro and GFS operational runs... It's a quick mover with high favorably placed up N to force a higher latitude secondary. 

40 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It does look tantalizing doesn't it - 

I think the SPV elongation is tempting but ... it's just littttle too strong there.  The wave timing is in sync but not so much the wave space there.  

The southern stream impulse could instantiate the western end of the SPV to come south/fragment off the total structure up there, and then the phasing commences...  yadda yadda ...  1978 sort of deal. That's what led to Feb 5-7 1978 was a subsume phase.. An intermediate/southern stream impulse lowered the resistance south of a SPV fragmentation and down she came... assuming/bullying the wave space and the two absolutely partied their asses off east of Long Island.  

That evolution above is similar - possibly - if only in spirit.  The details surrounding it don't look very comparable, however, so total analog is probably low.  fascinating nonetheless  

Yes, as presently shown the storm is probably like 1/30/10 or 2/5/10, more of a southern slider. As I said in the NYC threads, there is definitely a chance that the event ends up suppressed due to the SPV in Quebec.

However, there's also potential for a polar vortex phase which could be similar to Feb '78 or Mar '93 as a piece of that SPV could drop south and phase in...the event would bump north but the poleward nature of the PNA ridge should lock in a cold airmass with Arctic origins. This isn't your typical PNA ridge with modified western Canadja air; this is a highly amplified ridge that taps the Arctic, and even, on some models, Siberian cross-polar flow.

Very intruguing opportunities in the next 3-4 weeks. Ignoring the "winter's over " talk and instead looking at strat warming, MJO-induced +PNA, and reactivated southern stream.

5 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I joked about this a month ago but heh... I'll be damned if it isn't actually looking like a March 1956 (or was it 1957?) ... type of winter. 

1956.  That's when Norfolk in NW CT had 77" for the month.  We had 24" in NNJ from the 18-19 storm, earliest memory of a truly big snowfall.  (Was 21 months old in Dec 1947.)

Later GFS runs are the tastiest I've seen in 2 years.  Thursday's event has gone from a whiff to possible advisory level for central Maine (temps suggest ratios in the 15-20 range, if moisture is there), then a qpf bomb early next week.  Still time for multiple fails, of course.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Absolutely comical GFS run. Has the Saturday clipper... a SW flow event Sunday into Monday... and another clipper on Tuesday. That is all within a week.

it then has a storm coming up late next week that looks big.

At least a half dozen chances for snow that run 

Wish there was a "like" button here somewhere.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Possible though with hints of a secondary we may be able to ice decently with deep pack and low level cold 

There have been a couple runs here and there that try and keep us frozen, but the Euro has been pretty stubbornly against that idea...hopefully it comes more on board. At the very least, I'd take part of the event being frozen and a quick FROPA so that we don't really do any damage to the pack.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

There have been a couple runs here and there that try and keep us frozen, but the Euro has been pretty stubbornly against that idea...hopefully it comes more on board. At the very least, I'd take part of the event being frozen and a quick FROPA so that we don't really do any damage to the pack.

You know that's what he's getting at

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah ice to 38 or something would work. 

Archived