Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You still see the scars here from time to time. Post traumatic negative NAO disorder.

"We want a -NAO...but not too negative."

We have not had to worry about one for quite a while that was on roids, It is helpful no doubt especially further south for more wintry conditions.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

It's only the 2nd time this season...

Come on, don't you get sick of hearing "Congrats Dendrite" all the time, when we haven't been close to a jack in 5 years? Yet everyone thinks we jack all the time.

I just didn't figure there was much else to do up there.

44 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

It's only the 2nd time this season...

Come on, don't you get sick of hearing "Congrats Dendrite" all the time, when we haven't been close to a jack in 5 years? Yet everyone thinks we jack all the time.

We don't exactly live in a jackpot zone of big snows. We basically need a deformation band to pivot and rot over us. We had a nice streak of them in that 08-11 range and of course the frequent SWFEs in 07-09. SWFEs aren't delivering a foot plus though. CCBs are more rare. Feb 14 (I think it was) was pretty good. We have quite a few ways to rack up 8-12" events, but the 20"+ ones are more rare.

The 12z GFS is a nightmare in the LR. We get cold but the trough axis is too far east so any Miller Bs develop too late (though Im sure that will change as we near and be congrats ENE) and then it warms up at the very end of the run. Anyone know if the Euro has any chances toward the end of its run?

36 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Usually when the weenies start with total despair something good happens.

Especially in mid to late January. It's happened twice already in the last 4 years...weenies were starting to melt in late January 2013 and 2015. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

The long range is ok. We may be playing with the SE ridge, but that's nina. Maybe it sucks, but I don't see anything glaring that says to cancel winter. If you're smart...you'd approach it with normal expectations.

PNA becomes more crucial with the SE ridge. Ridge too far west and it's messy.

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

PNA becomes more crucial with the SE ridge. Ridge too far west and it's messy.

Yes.  That's why EPS improved because it was not as far west as 2 days ago.  Also ridging was rebuilding at the end of the run to me.  But without that ridge we need NAO which hasn't worked lately.

23 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yes.  That's why EPS improved because it was not as far west as 2 days ago.  Also ridging was rebuilding at the end of the run to me.  But without that ridge we need NAO which hasn't worked lately.

Yeah the cold will be there. But I still have some concern for inside runners. 

Archived