joxey
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

13 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

:weenie:

:weenie::weenie:

:weenie::weenie::weenie: 

LOL.

I'm losing faith in this winter being anything more than average.   I'll need to confirm where I stand, but I think I'll need 30+" to get there.  Certainly attainable but I could just as easily miss.  I came strong out of the gate but the momentum is gone.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing a pretty significant caveat for pattern favorability coming up ... 

Beyond a week from now, there's now multi-cycle consistency for the PNA to neutralize, while perhaps relaying into a modest -EPO signal, which the operational version seems to hit the latter EPO, harder - interesting.  After having evaluated the individual members ... I think the differences come down to handling the flow during a general "theme", where said theme is what is paramount: heights should remain ridgy if not blocky in the west.  

That idea is better reflected when looking over the indexes provided by the CPC in this case, because those/their index values are derived using mid level geopotential height anomalies. If the heights are sort of fragmented in the west, with portions migrating into a ridge node over the Alaskan sector, while mid latitudes farther south show more zonal tendencies... that would tip the low level mass flux anomalies (CDC) in favor of a -PNA, which obviously takes a bit of a backseat to -EPOs of sufficient strength.  The operational run, DEFINITELY has had consistency with EPO islands up there. 

So the take away there is that cold loading into the Canadian shield should be robuster more so than not. 

Just on the surface we think, 'ha! more cold - good'... 

Yeeeah, yes and no though.  The problem and caveat (which by the way is wonderfully illustrated by the product Brian presented above that shows the evolution of the Feb 5-7 1978 blizzard) is that in 2017 January, the heights across the entire breadth of the southern tier are some degree above normal. This is unilaterally the case from ...well, south of Japan all the way around to the Sargasso Sea.  We keep referring a lot of the limitations on the winter thus far as "...the SE ridge" ... It's true that there is a default ridge, but it doesn't really reflect what's actually in crisis with this winter.  The problem is that warm-ish height anomalies are more pervasive than just the SE ridge.  Southeast ridging can materialize when the medium is more normal, and cause the same limitation - so, we sort of dance around and call it the same thing but it's not really. If you look at Brian's loop above, you can see that the southern heights medium in general ...and this is important, as it exists beneath the shenanigans of the westerlies, is really not much higher than 576 dm other than occasional very transient Rosby roll-throughs.  

Why that is a problem and caveat now is because, as the EPO tips negative, that higher height tendency down south abuts it and that creates the same damn problem with 'too much gradient' overall.  The wind velocities physically starts screaming, and that intrinsically becomes a destructive interference wrt to individual features that would otherwise create storms. ..shear. 

It can storm in that scenario.. .but they tend to be shallower in latitude and move very quickly.  I would like for NJ type lows there... 

Can't rule out that system next week, but it needs some work. Going forward though we should have chances even if that one doesn't materialize. That's a pretty poleward EPO ridge out in the 11-15...so we're gonna restore our cold source very well...finally get rid of the putrid muck that has plagued us since a few days after the coastal storm a couple weeks ago that dropped all the snow in SE MA.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Can't rule out that system next week, but it needs some work. Going forward though we should have chances even if that one doesn't materialize. That's a pretty poleward EPO ridge out in the 11-15...so we're gonna restore our cold source very well...finally get rid of the putrid muck that has plagued us since a few days after the coastal storm a couple weeks ago that dropped all the snow in SE MA.

Definitely agree with that much ... The fetid polar... actually, wasn't even 'polar' - I don't know what you call that...  how about cooled off industrial exhaust -haha.  Whatever it was it was no good for any possible application to any corporeality walking the Earth.  From beady -eyed obsessive turbo weather nerds to vapid Valley girls that couldn't define the word weather and back, no living soul could benefit from that air mass.  Truly a remarkable accomplishment in pure unredeaming -

I just hope that with heights remaining pervasively high-ish in the deep south, that we don't end up gradient surplussed - if we do, we'll get that same thing going that happened back before the era of fetid air mass. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm out on that one-

Archived