Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem II!

SR Airglow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I already admitted I was wrong and tipped the cap to folks that called it. Though the idea of 2 waves not happening and one interfering with the other was not correct 

Those were all viable solutions though, Glad its working out to a more positive for many folks on the board, Been a long drought for some

6 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Well in all fairness, so did others as well. I heard "life support" tossed around last night. This system has been toying with lots of emotions...lol.

I was referring to his call 2 days back of this being a non event, Pretty obvious this was heading in the wrong direction after the 12z Euro came out yesterday and crushed the remaining hopes of many, I said yesterday, I would give to 12z today before i would have tossed the towel, Not that i have much of a stake in this, But for others.

38 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Not really.  This looks to be a run of the mill snowstorm.  This isn't a Blizzard 2005/2015.

Do you still stand by your call a couple hours back, that" Wholesale changes are not happening?"

Cuz the 12z model suite has made some pretty dramatic changes for a lot of folks..if it's true?  And it looks like it could be legit with the ingesting of the better sampled shortwaves.

I was referring to his call 2 days back of this being a non event, Pretty obvious this was heading in the wrong direction after the 12z Euro came out yesterday and crushed the remaining hopes of many, I said yesterday, I would give to 12z today before i would have tossed the towel, Not that i have much of a stake in this, But for others.

Yeah you could say that was a bad early call saying Friday was the big deal and Sat/Sun was not a viable threat. I was a bit deflated too after yesterday's models moved east. Glad it came back and hopefully will vindicate my call I made after Christmas that this was the period to watch for eastern folks. Even if you miss out, atleast you had a 20" storm so that should ease the pain...lol.

1 minute ago, Hazey said:

Yeah you could say that was a bad early call saying Friday was the big deal and Sat/Sun was not a viable threat. I was a bit deflated too after yesterday's models moved east. Glad it came back and hopefully will vindicate my call I made after Christmas that this was the period to watch for eastern folks. Even if you miss out, atleast you had a 20" storm so that should ease the pain...lol.

I have no quams missing out, But an inch or two would help for cooling after the pack become a glazier after the rain/sleet the other day

3 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Wait....we had a 20" snowfall? How did I miss it?

13 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Thanks looking good.  18:1 ratios that is around 14"

Just start here from now on. The BOX CWA (prior to our NH takeover anyway) averaged 10.7:1 Like Will said, you can push 13:1 in the far west, but Cape Cod is surely closer to 10 or 9:1. 

13.3:1 is 75th percentile, so 3 out of 4 times you would expect a lower ratio snowfall than that. So forecasting something more than 15:1 is going to get you in trouble more often than not.

You can find the climatology here (http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/SLR/slrmap.htm), but moral of the story is the only places in the country with an average of 15:1 are the LES zones, Intermountain West, and the Dakotas.

box.GIF

18z GFS (OP) is a weenie run for NNE in the very long range.  Looks like a conveyor of moisture just sets up along rt 2 in MA and just stalls out.

It seems like a far-fetched and unlikely solution but its a nice break from crappy run after crappy run of the GFS for NNE.

For this rank amateur its nice to have some semblance of hope even if I'm extremely skeptical of such a set-up.

10 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Just start here from now on. The BOX CWA (prior to our NH takeover anyway) averaged 10.7:1 Like Will said, you can push 13:1 in the far west, but Cape Cod is surely closer to 10 or 9:1. 

13.3:1 is 75th percentile, so 3 out of 4 times you would expect a lower ratio snowfall than that. So forecasting something more than 15:1 is going to get you in trouble more often than not.

You can find the climatology here (http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/SLR/slrmap.htm), but moral of the story is the only places in the country with an average of 15:1 are the LES zones, Intermountain West, and the Dakotas.

The 13 to 1 I cited for ORH might be a little inflated too due to undercatch of precip during snow events in the ASOS era. It might be closer to 11/12 to 1.

12 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

box.GIF

Thanks for sharing, this is tremendous info!

Amazing that the 50th percentile is exactly 10.0.

Archived