Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

I think so as well.  Winter will be back.

Thought about that too. We've had 2 good shots, windows of opportunity. So we should get another window late jan/early Feb then maybe small 2-3 day  window early march espeacilly mtns. That seems to be the rythym of the pattern cycle. So if that's the case those aren't great odds to score again but then again neither was this past weekend and we struck gold.

This almost looks like March 2012 to me when all the cold air basically left the US and Canada. We obviously won't make it to the low and mid 80's with this, but i'm betting we see the 70's for a few days. I still think we will get a couple of more shots in Feb, but I'm afraid it may be ice then. We are overdue for a major icestorm in the  CAD areas of NC, SC, and GA.

3 hours ago, packbacker said:

Probably overdone...but GEFS doesn't think we even drop below 40 after tomorrow the next 2 weeks.  EPS is similar.

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 1.52.06 PM.png

This looks A LOT like Jan of 1989 except for the snowstorm this last weekend. I still think this winter goes a lot like that year, which means we get more chances at mainly ice sometime in Feb.

Models have been fine...except when they show snow for Raleigh.    We are well on our way to an AN Dec and Jan, +AO, -PNA and much below average snowfall for RDU.  February isn't fixing that.  Agree with everyone on a few BN days in Feb, light ice event for Raleigh.   I am sure everyone else will rack up on the snow though.  One more day until the much welcome warm up. 

CFS looking solid for Feb. 

CFSv2.NaT2m.20170109.201702.gif

4 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

The GEFS and EPS also unanimously gave me 10" of snow as it was pouring down pink rain. :)

Of course..if they are going to bust, you better believe it will be on snow lol. The thing is it seems like most of the time the models show warmth they get it right. I know we ended up being colder recently  than the models were showing a few weeks ago but if i recall correctly, there was at least cold in canada to tap.. but this time they essentially evacuate all the cold air on this side of the hemisphere altogether. The overwhelming warmth being shown over pretty much all of North America is truly extraordinary and one of the most disgusting projections I've can recall for mid to late january. Going to be a painful few weeks if they even come close to verifying. 

Latest weeklies just out.   Don't know what is up with these new upgraded EPS weeklies...they just want spew out these cold east patterns, aleutian low, PAC ridge run after run.  Riding the CFS...been more correct.   

lol CFS over Weeklies, that's a first for me. Blockbuster pattern for first half of Feb, we'll see who wins the showdown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Jon said:

lol CFS over Weeklies, that's a first for me. Blockbuster pattern for first half of Feb, we'll see who wins the showdown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will revisit this soon...weeklies will back off that ridiculous modeled pattern for Feb.   #CFSv2FTW #LOLWeeklies  #NinaSER

Only thing the weeklies have correct is a warm next 3 weeks  #puntJan

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

We will revisit this soon...weeklies will back off that ridiculous modeled pattern for Feb.   #CFSv2FTW #LOLWeeklies  #NinaSER

Only thing the weeklies have correct is a warm next 3 weeks  #puntJan

But how many times have we had a warm or cold spell that last more than three weeks. I'm sure it has happened but it would be more to the norm to have the pattern flip cold right after this warm three weeks, and not go four or more weeks.  

Tweets

1. 10mb rapid warming set up for major eastern trough later Jan and Feb after "thaw" 40C rise in 8 days over NW Ter

C1wsrBBW8AAsESm.jpg

Euro supports our ideas of major trough developing on east coast late Jan and FEB. Why not, look at 14 and 15.. was WARM JAN 12-21!

C1xOevPVEAAVTLX.jpg

C1xOmRRUcAAPEEI.jpg

1 hour ago, Lookout said:

Of course..if they are going to bust, you better believe it will be on snow lol. The thing is it seems like most of the time the models show warmth they get it right. I know we ended up being colder recently  than the models were showing a few weeks ago but if i recall correctly, there was at least cold in canada to tap.. but this time they essentially evacuate all the cold air on this side of the hemisphere altogether. The overwhelming warmth being shown over pretty much all of North America is truly extraordinary and one of the most disgusting projections I've can recall for mid to late january. Going to be a painful few weeks if they even come close to verifying. 

Yeah you're right about that.  It is pretty concerning to see our entire side of the globe en fuego.  Hopefully, that doesn't last all that long.  It doesn't have to.

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah you're right about that.  It is pretty concerning to see our entire side of the globe en fuego.  Hopefully, that doesn't last all that long.  It doesn't have to.

Funny you never see something this extreme the other way in the dead of summer lol.

3rd night in a row almost full moon shining down on fresh snowpack, inhaling clear fresh artic air.

Just now, NCSNOW said:

Funny you never see something this extreme the other way in the dead of summer lol.

3rd night in a row almost full moon shining down on fresh snowpack, inhaling clear fresh artic air.

No matter how this winter turns out, these past 3 days have been awesome with minimal snow melt.  Massive icecycles have formed on the gutters. 

55 minutes ago, Wow said:

No matter how this winter turns out, these past 3 days have been awesome with minimal snow melt.  Massive icecycles have formed on the gutters. 

Totally agree! Don't know if I need to move north or not, but this has been absolutely awesome to both feel and look like winter. Having to actually put on some gear when going out, even in the day, seeing the trees and ground stay white for a few days, - man it's been nice! I find myself wishing this was our normal winter and can;t help but feel a little depressed about the upcoming 60s. Gonna be hard indeed to go back to basically a fall type feel. Oh end of Jan, don't linger!

This happens every year.  Seems like around the second week of January we get our cool shot then blaze for a few weeks and look forward to February.  Unfortunately it seems like the real cold is always two or three weeks away and all we get is a two or three day shot before warming back up.  

I remember in the late 90's we had some awesome winters with one giving a good enough stretch of cold to freeze our pond enough to walk on. Probably a bad idea.  I miss winters like that.  I think having that for 3 months would get old but it would be nice to get two week stretches with real cold and real shots at good snows. 

Every year I think to myself this will be the year.  Maybe, hopefully, February can pull off some good stuff for us since it's historically our best month. 

Archived