Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I believe you are wrong again. Alaska can be cold and we can be too. It all about where the blocking sets up. The last time we where skunked in February and March was 2012. We are off to a decent start and I think the pattern will play out as advertised. A lot down east have already exceeded there snow annually.

FACT CHECKER

accum.20120219.gif

8 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Before Frosty beats me to it, synopsis from JB this morning: I need my rabies shot, pattern after the 25th has me salivating, like a rabid dog, who hasn't eaten in days, and there's this red meat ( pattern) right in front of me!

My interpretation: grab the sunscreen in the SE! :(

Wax the sleds!

10 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Before Frosty beats me to it, synopsis from JB this morning: I need my cash shot, pattern after the 25th has me sweating, like a poor dog, who hasn't **** in days, and there's this hunk of meat ( s/e ridge) right on my ***!

My interpretation: maybe a new England system with no measurable frozen from Atlanta to Raleigh

Fixed

5 minutes ago, griteater said:

# of years since last double digit snowfall winter (10 or more inches), at airports...

Greer, SC (GSP): 24 years (92-93)

Charlotte, NC: 13 years (03-04)

Greenville, NC: 13 years (03-04)

Raleigh, NC: 13 years (03-04)

Greensboro, NC: 3 years (13-14)

Asheville, NC: 1 year (15-16)

Didn't CLT get it in 13/14 too?  I thought they had 9" for the big one and a couple of other 1" events?

1 hour ago, Timothy Clyde said:

Someone, I believe Jon, said something about fantasy storms showing up soon and I largely disagree just based on the long term gfs runs the past few nights. Temps are not supportive and storm track looks awful through at least early Feb. And that is not IMO that is what the modeling pattern actually shows.

Last nights run says hello:

[Image: 3e6e9d105bec7f61b34f6d67f63070e4.png]

6 minutes ago, griteater said:

# of years since last double digit snowfall winter (10 or more inches), at airports...

I thought we had a chance last week, but alas, NW it was again. It's hard to say we're due, but I think it's weird it's been so long.  Probably the lack of blocking through the years.  I'm not going to complain though, the last several winters clt has had at least a measurable snow event. Decent ones in MBY.  But yeah, 04 was the last big dog. Man was it nice. 

February has always been good to us, I think we score again sometime in February during another -EPO outbreak.  It hasn't been dry so far this winter around here that's for sure.  

46 minutes ago, griteater said:

I'm not sure Atlanta has ever had a double digit snowfall. Since 1940, the biggest snowfall is 8", which proves my point that Atlanta is in the worst possible location for snow in the US outside of places like Florida and southern California. Columbia, Birmingham, Dallas, San Antonio, etc have all seen double digit snow in the last 40 or so years.

1 minute ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I'm not sure Atlanta has ever had a double digit snowfall. Since 1940, the biggest snowfall is 8", which proves my point that Atlanta is in the worst possible location for snow in the US outside of places like Florida and southern California. Columbia, Birmingham, Dallas, San Antonio, etc have all seen double digit snow in the last 40 or so years.

I'm sure it's occurred before records.  If it's occurred in Macon and areas further south it's likely happened there at some point and probably will happen again eventually 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I'm sure it's occurred before records.  If it's occurred in Macon and areas further south it's likely happened there at some point and probably will happen again eventually 

I know Atlanta is far south but my Goodness what does it take for a freak storm to dump 10" in atl ? Atlanta is even at an elevation of 1000' or so which you would think would help a little.

2 hours ago, Timothy Clyde said:

Someone, I believe Jon, said something about fantasy storms showing up soon and I largely disagree just based on the long term gfs runs the past few nights. Temps are not supportive and storm track looks awful through at least early Feb. And that is not IMO that is what the modeling pattern actually shows.

I said the next few days, and you largely disagree based on the runs the past few nights? The models weren't even in range to the dates I'm talking about (26-27th and forward)...your call for the second week of February or later is WRONG. It could be mid-Feb, not arguing that. But our first chance at a favorable pattern is late month.  Blocked because you're clearly a troll.

38 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Hopefully, they remain onboard and don't push the change back.

The 12Z GFS is horrible , just turrible! Those temp anomalies maps for next week, across the whole country and Canada, would bring a tear to Packs eye! I know not to look at op runs, when a pattern is in flux, but that pattern looks like flush!! I think they may have to come up with a few new colors of heat for that map! :( But, the 384 hour storm is money! Don't worry about details at this point......

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

The 12Z GFS is horrible , just turrible! Those temp anomalies maps for next week, across the whole country and Canada, would bring a tear to Packs eye! I know not to look at op runs, when a pattern is in flux, but that pattern looks like flush!! I think they may have to come up with a few new colors of heat for that map! :( But, the 384 hour storm is money! Don't worry about details at this point......

All in on 384!

TW

Archived