• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

Here's the GEFS and the GEPS at 384.  Way out there, but is in agreement with each other and with the general idea of a pattern change to colder toward the end of the month.  Also, the indexes look fairly tolerable today:  The AO looks to go pretty negative, the NAO looks to dip slightly negative/neutral and remain there, the PNA declines from positive to negative/neutral, and the MJO looks to have broad agreement to rise into phase one and then potentially drop back into the COD, remaining on the left side (good).  We'll see, but good signs.

gfs-ens_z500_mslp_nhem_64.png

gem-ens_z500_mslp_nhem_65.png

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, mrdaddyman said:

Is that even worth mentioning? This thing will be blazing a trail through the Ohio Valley come go time anyway.

Its always foolish to even chase a digital fantasy storm out past truncation. Biggest reason I posted the map was for a refernce to come back to hopefully next weekend and see if the models lucked  out again sniffing out a threat on the front end of a pattern change or window of opportunity from LR. I wouldnt even consider it had they not rolled 777 with this last event from over 10 days out.

I'm just curious to see 2 things for last week of jan first week of Feb: Is this a sutanible pattern change for a few weeks as we close out winter. Or is this just a window of opportunity / transient cold shot. Whicheever it ends up being the second thing is to see if we can time one out and score.

13 hours ago, downeastnc said:

Seems silly to think that's the legit total seeing as I found 10-14" just about everywhere I measured in that event.....then again the official totals for most events at PGV seem well under what I measure....Mar 1980 is in the books as 16" and I remember me and dad measuring a bunch of different places in the yard and never getting less than 20-24". Same with the Dec 1989 Xmas snow they have 5" listed as the total but we had 10-12" everywhere we measured...same with Dec 2000 they have us listed at 8" and I had 14" on the roof of my car the morning after and my friend had 17" on his little plastic table in the middle of his back yard 100 ft from anything, I took 10 different measurements simply putting a yardstick in the snow and I averaged 10-15" in that event.  I know these are not the official way to measure depth etc but it doesn't change the fact that I had 14" on top of my car lol.

Sounds like PGV is the DCA of the SE forum, ha.

I looked at co-op reports, and here's what I see for the Dec 2010 event:

Greenville Utility Comm: 5.7

Williamston (1 Mile East): 8.0

Washington (4 Miles West): 3.0

Tarboro (1 Mile South): 12.0

Goldsboro (1 Mile North): 9.5

Kinston AG Research: 6.0

1 hour ago, Timothy Clyde said:

LOL. Looks like some are grasping at straws and don't know what a fantasy storm is. A fantasy storm is sig. measurable winter precip for the vast majority of the Charlotte and Raleigh metros.

And talking about NW trends post 300 hours? Seriously?

Let me know how that works out for you this month! Mark my words, copy them, paste them, I know I won't forget this malarkey.

*Pattern to not be supportive until second week or later in February.

Gotta keep the dreams alive my friend, winter will return, just a matter of when. 

40 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

GFS para, doesn't look good , even the h5 pattern! :( last frame has monster trough out West, ridge over us and this is out to the 27th! Looks like the same pattern we've seen all winter! Wash, rinse , repeat! 

You'll like the 12z GFS at the same timeframe. Out in fantasy land but it looks good nevertheless.

13 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

12z GFS = $ on day 14-15!! :(

weird looking storm, southern screamer, big monster 1050 high in Montana, kind of like our last winter storm!? What could go wrong with that!? No GL low, so winning!

Another disturbance over KansColbraska right behind it. Would be interesting to see if it would dive SE in the following frames. Could be a big over running if it taps gulf moisture. 

37 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Another disturbance over KansColbraska right behind it. Would be interesting to see if it would dive SE in the following frames. Could be a big over running if it taps gulf moisture. 

THAT...may be our fish

What we have here is the infamous 3 Eyed Pug pattern shaping up at the end of the 12Z Euro run.  You can see the dual low anomalies off the NW coast and again over the SE, along with block, slightly offset, in eastern Canada, and ridging setting up in the intermountain West.  This type of pattern typically yields below normal temps in the SE along with a propensity for above normal precip, including wet snow under the lowest heights.

The eventual evolution of this pattern typically takes one of two paths:

1) The low off the west coast retrogrades, pumping up the west coast ridge, which links up with the retrograding block in Canada.  This would set off a -EPO/+PNA regime, keeping lower heights in the east, along with an undercutting jet.

2 ) The low off the west coast is progressive, bringing more troughing to the west, pumping up heights in the SE.

Option 1 is preferred, though given the tendency for a -PNA, option 2 can't be taken off the table.  That said, many signals are pointing to a more favorable period as we work into February.  Ruff ruff.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

What we have here is the infamous 3 Eyed Pug pattern shaping up at the end of the 12Z Euro run.  You can see the dual low anomalies off the NW coast and again over the SE, along with block, slightly offset, in eastern Canada, and ridging setting up in the intermountain West.  This type of pattern typically yields below normal temps in the SE along with a propensity for above normal precip, including wet snow under the lowest heights.

The eventual evolution of this pattern typically takes one of two paths:

1) The low off the west coast retrogrades, pumping up the west coast ridge, which links up with the retrograding block in Canada.  This would set off a -EPO/+PNA regime, keeping lower heights in the east, along with an undercutting jet.

2 ) The low off the west coast is progressive, bringing more troughing to the west, pumping up heights in the SE.

Option 1 is preferred, though given the tendency for a -PNA, option 2 can't be taken off the table.  That said, many signals are pointing to a more favorable period as we work into February.  Ruff ruff.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

This 3 Eyed Pug pattern that you speak of....Is this similar to Rodney Dangerfield's infamous Triple Lindy???

1 minute ago, Boknows34 said:

This 3 Eyed Pug pattern that you speak of....Is this similar to Rodney Dangerfield's infamous Triple Lindy???

Ha, maybe so!

Just now, griteater said:

Cold Rain, the extended ensemble and weeklies evolution is your option 1, though maybe without the undercutting STJ....just a full retrograde of the features in the Pacific and Western North America

Well, that's certainly a good start -- hopefully not a false start.  :)

70ea9340-4c30-11e4-b9f7-b18749167a32_fal

Archived